- 4 boneless, skinless duck breasts, cut into 8 pieces (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt, freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch skillet.
- Stir in the onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until the onion is caramelized.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Pound the duck with a meat mallet between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/4 inch thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and season the duck with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the flour over both sides of the duck.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a large skillet until hot.
- Add the duck and cook until well browned on one side.
- Turn the duck and stir in the cranberries, wine and stock.
- Cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until sauce is reduced by one half and the duck is cooked through.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and swirl the pan until the butter is melted.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve topped with the caramelized onion.