Training a gun dog is a year-round process, and familiarizing a retriever to the right equipment is important. The March Gear Guide focuses on several key training tools and supplemental gear to get the most out of every training sessions this spring, and in turn, this fall.
SportDog WetlandHunter® 425
Designed for the waterfowl hunting environment with close-working dogs, the WetlandHunter® 425 takes the most advanced, industry-leading technology that SportDOG Brand® has ever built into its e-collars and packaged it up in the most compact system ever offered. Switch instantly between static, vibration, and tone stimulation to fit the correction or communication to your dog's temperament and learning ability. This model is smartly and completely finished in Realtree Max-5® camo, so it looks great while also blending in with the rest of a waterfowl hunter's gear. For more information, visit http://www.sportdog.com.
Drake Waterfowl Systems Neoprene Dog Vest
Keep your faithful retriever warm and protected in a Neoprene Dog Vest from Drake Waterfowl. Neck, leg and back openings can be trimmed to provide a perfect fit that won't rub or bind. This 3.5mm neoprene provides warmth, flotation and protection from branches and other sharp objects. Reinforced chest-protector strips hold up to thick brush and ice. Built-in assist handles make it easy to lift your pup into a boat, truck bed or other elevated location. Sizes: S-2XL. For more information, visit http://www.drakewaterfowl.com.
Banded Slough Stand Max5
If you plan on hunting your retriever from a stand or blind, it's best to introduce these platforms during training. Quick hinge leg system for easy set up and take down. Easy adjust legs with 23" to 38" height settings. Integrated leg stubs to securely hold on all surfaces. Platform measures 24" x 26 1/2". For more information, visit http://www.banded.com.
Mendota Versa-Belt Leads for Dogs
Mendota Versa-Belt Leads are made with heavy double-braid webbing with solid brass hardware. Perfect for hands free control. The Mendota Versa Belt Lead is 1-inch wide by 30-inches long. For more information, visit http://www.bassproshops.com.
Mud River Dog Products – Quick Quack
The Quick Quack is a versatile, collapsible water bowl that's built for long-term use in the field or on the road. For more information, visit https://mudriverdogproducts.com.
- Nylon exterior
- Leak proof liner
- Collapsible with elastic band for flat storage and transport
- Firm base for stability
- Capacity: 9 cups/72 oz.
MoMarsh – Shallow Water Systems – Invisilab – Dog Blind
Hiding your waterfowl retriever in flooded vegetation has been problematic, but MoMarsh's Invisilab Dog Blind has solved this issue. The Invisilab blind offers full concealment for your retriever in flooded vegetation - up to 34-inches - along with the ability to fold the legs and use it as a field blind, or a travel crate. This versatile dog blind has multiple uses in any waterfowler's arsenal. For more information on MoMarsh's Shallow Water Systems, visit http://www.momarsh.com.
- Portable, mobile, lightweight (13 pounds)
- Only dog blind that works in the field and in water - depths to 34"
- Keeps your dog out of mud and off frozen ground as a field blind
- Blind is built into the stand
- Can be zipped shut to function as a crate for transport
- An extra invisilab blind functions as a place to store gear in the marsh out of the water (blind bags, lunch, batteries, etc.)
- Mesh bottom drains and provides slip proof footing
- Individually adjustable legs give it great stability in deeper water
- Year-round training tool
Mud River Dog Products – Dog Handler Bag
Mud River's Dog Handler Bag coms in brown and Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blades and serves multiple purposes. It's large enough to handle all your training needs and can double as a retriever's field bag during the season. For more information, visit https://mudriverdogproducts.com.
- Size: 16" x 11" x 14"
- Heavy-duty water resistant poly shell
- Multiple storage pockets
- Padded shoulder strap (up to 44")
- Doctor's bag opening
- Front magnetic pocket closures (pocket size: 5.5")
- Double reinforced, water resistant bottom
- Front zippered pocket (13" x 10")
D.T. Systems Super Pro Launcher Kit
Take your retriever's training to next level. The D.T. Systems Super Pro Launcher Kit features rugged solid aluminum frame construction, resists rust, stainless steel launcher barrel, a full grip aluminum locking lever for added safety, an extra-strong aluminum hinge system, a built-in shell extractor, and a self-contained, easy to clean, firing pin. Includes white nylon launcher dummy. Powered by .22 caliber blank cartridges (sold seperately).
- Rugged solid aluminum frame
- Stainless steel launcher barrel
- Extra strong aluminum hinge system
- Powered by .22 caliber blank cartridges
- .22 caliber blank cartridges are sold separately
For more information, visit https://dtsystems.com.
Garmin Sporting Dog Pro 550
Intuitive, 1-handed training of up to 3 dogs. The PRO 550 with Tri-Tronics® technology allows advanced training for the serious professional with easy access to 21 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation, tone as well as the ability to quickly switch between 3 dogs. PRO 550 features vibration and tone settings, remotely operated beacon lights on the dog device to help locate your dog in low light, the ability to add an Upland™ Beeper (purchased separately), and a built-in BarkLimiter, activated on the dog device, to help keep the peace at home. For more information, visit http://www.garmin.com/en-US/explore/onthetrail/sporting-dogs.
- Train up to 3 dogs at a time (additional dog devices required; purchase separately)
- 21 levels of continuous and momentary stimulation and vibration and tone settings
- Up to 1 mile range
- Built-in BarkLimiter™ operated on the dog device
- Remote operation of beacon lights on dog device