Browning A5

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic775065.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Pierce - 12/7/2013 8:36:39 PM
For those of you that have that new Browning A5 or have experience with one, what do you think of it?
By flannel - 12/7/2013 11:00:45 PM
Pierce (12/7/2013)
For those of you that have that new Browning A5 or have experience with one, what do you think of it?

X2 I'm saving up for one myself, I cant take it any longer,  so I've submitted to getting one even though I don't need it. I'd appreciate lots of responses from OWNERS myself!
By Amish Amy - 12/8/2013 5:49:26 AM
YEP! I knew a die hard BBBRowning man like yourself Flannel could only take it so long. My buddy has one and loves it.  He'll be at my camp this weekend deer hunting.  I may steal it for a morning to shoot some ducks.  I'll let you know. 
By flannel - 12/8/2013 7:13:58 PM
Amish Amy (12/8/2013)
YEP! I knew a die hard BBBRowning man like yourself Flannel could only take it so long. My buddy has one and loves it.  He'll be at my camp this weekend deer hunting.  I may steal it for a morning to shoot some ducks.  I'll let you know. 

You lucky Bugger! I wish I could shoot one! Better give it a thorough run through the paces and give me a FULL report :D
By Amish Amy - 1/12/2014 6:59:05 AM
okay... so now I have one.  Just got it yesterday but too late for the A.M. crow shoot.  nice gun vey light i'll give you a report as soon I i get a chance to wring it out a little.  Lots of crows hit the dirt/snow yesterday joe
By Pierce - 1/13/2014 8:48:59 PM
Let me know how you like it and if you think its worth the price tag.
By Amish Amy - 1/14/2014 5:10:54 AM
Will do gonna shoot it a lot this weekend
By e.l.i. - 12/23/2015 4:07:02 PM
Have had 5 jams with my new A5 (3inch). Doesn't like Hevi Steel, 3 inch, 1 1/4 oz. loads. Gun is still being broken in and I used some Winchester XPERT, 3 inch, 1 1/8 oz. loads that it liked much better.

I'll give my A5 a little longer, but if this problem doesn't clear up it's going back to LL Bean for full refund which they guarantee.

I like my MAXUS a lot more for its reliability.
By Amish Amy - 12/23/2015 5:59:10 PM
I can't remember mine jamming. Very reliable gun. I shot it a lot this duck season and it spit out every thing I fed it. Give yours some time, did you clean all the factory goop out?? I like mine a lot, although if I had to chose between it and my MAXUS not sure what I would go with both good guns.
By flannel - 12/30/2015 9:35:54 PM
Pretty much shot my A5 exclusively this year and it's become my favorite gun due to it's weight, pointability and refusal to screw up on me, love it!! Make sure to pull your buttstock off and clean that action tube and spring as stated in your manual pp.48-49.
By DuckCuller - 12/30/2015 10:06:59 PM
Love my A5 3 1/2 inch. The only thing that doesn't cycle in my A5 is the light load Winchester trap loads. I have shot it for two seasons of trap and hunting. I put 300+ rounds of 3 to 3 1/2 through it this hunting season alone. Never cleaned it until after the season and on the last hunt of the year it stove piped three 3 1/2 inch heavy metal but would still cycle black cloud and Winchester. Tough guns, when I finally cleaned it there was everything you could imagine in the action straw, dirt, cattail fuzz and even a feather. If you are having troubles with it not cycling 3 inch either it needs a good cleaning or it is one of those made on Friday guns and needs sent back.
Good luck and shoot where their goin not where their from.
By Amish Amy - 12/31/2015 5:23:00 AM
OOOPS.. you're supposed to read the manual??  Happy new year guys
By Lewisabc123 - 12/31/2015 8:01:15 AM
My son saved for two years and got one this season, he loves it.  He has the 3.5 version, but has used everything in it including trap loads.  There have been no jams or failures.  He really likes how light it is and always talks about how natural it comes to the eye.  For him it has been a perfect fit.
By e.l.i. - 1/13/2016 5:13:49 PM
Took my new A5 (3") back to LL Bean for a full refund. I used this gun for pass shooting sea ducks and goose hunting. On six hunts the A5 jammed SEVEN times. Even called Browning and was told to thoroughly clean the gun. I did this and again after each ensuing hunt, but it didn't help. I tried different shells always using 1 and1/4 oz. loads and still had problems with jamming and stove piping. I'm extremely disappointed--was hoping I'd finally found the one gun I could always count on.
By 182Av8r - 1/24/2016 9:13:06 AM
Hi,
This is my 1st post here. Back to DU after a much too long hiatus.
Look forward to getting to know y'all...

e.l.i. I hope they can get your gun squared away. I know that is extremely frustrating. I would be mad as hell too.

My wife bought me a new 3.5" 26" A5 for Christmas.
I was raised on Browning shotguns and have been eyeballing the new A5 since they came out as I wanted a gun I didn't have to be so particular about in the saltwater environment.
I have been nothing less than impressed with it. It will eat whatever I feed it from AA target loads to 3.5" hi-power loads and the natural point and swing is perfect to me.
The slogan "This ain't your Grandpa's A5" is very true. While I will always love the old Auto 5, it is great to have a new Browning shotgun with classic Browning looks without the worry of setting up friction rings and having the versatility of shooting 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells.
Regarding price if you look hard it is possible to shave $100.00 or so off the box store prices. But I can honestly say this is one of a few shotguns I have owned without some level of buyer's remorse.
I highly recommend.
By e.l.i. - 1/25/2016 2:29:22 PM
Glad to hear you are having good luck with your A5. I went back to using my Maxus and it started acting up! I feel jinxed!

Now using my Beretta A400 extreme-so far so good. Good luck to all who own the new A5.
By phorcysFC - 1/27/2016 9:44:53 AM
When I first started duck hunting a few years ago my great grandfather's FN (Belgium) A5 Sweet Sixteen was all I used.  Knocked them down with it.  I also love recoil operated shotguns.  With the upcoming release of a new line of  Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen (SHOT Show 2016) there is sure to be a revival of the 16 GA.  Hopefully the popular waterfowl ammo producers will catch on and start making loads.  All I have seen and used in the past has been Federal Speed Shok (Blue Box) #2.  I have since switched over to a Stoeger M3500 because I often hunt saltwater but my Belgium Sweet 16 will always be my favorite.  See the article below for information on the new line of A5's:

By 182Av8r - 1/29/2016 10:06:23 PM
That is some good news!!
May have to have one of those to keep Dad's '66 Sweet Sixteen company :)