Browning Gold Hunter or new A5

http://nj.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic773682.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Pierce - 9/1/2013 8:42:41 AM
Buying a new gun soon and just wondering if anybody preferred one of these guns over the other and what your opinions where.
By flannel - 9/1/2013 7:20:36 PM
Well, youd have to buy the gold as a used gun since theyre out of production, and although im dying to shoot a new a5, they havent been out long enough to prove themselves yet, imo. Nothing wrong with a used gold as long as you avoid an early model of the 3.5 version. Maybe consider a browning silver as an option as well, mine has been a pleasure to own.
By Windjammer - 9/3/2013 6:10:46 PM
I've only tried out an "old" A5 (a 40s model), and it was awesome. Pointed very well, light weight, and the kick was minimal.  If I was in the market for a new gun, I would consider it.
By zlf1107 - 9/21/2013 12:58:07 AM
I shoot nothing but Browning. I used to shoot a gold and now shoot a silver and maxus. Friend of mine bought a new A5 before our early goose season and it has definitly proven itself. It points great and we both believe the gun has made him a better shot. Either way, if you buy a browning you cant go wrong!!
By Lewisabc123 - 9/27/2013 8:53:55 AM
flannel (9/1/2013)
Well, youd have to buy the gold as a used gun since theyre out of production, and although im dying to shoot a new a5, they havent been out long enough to prove themselves yet, imo. Nothing wrong with a used gold as long as you avoid an early model of the 3.5 version. Maybe consider a browning silver as an option as well, mine has been a pleasure to own.

What is concidered an early model 3.5?  My son just picked one up apparently it was a banquet gun some one traded in, very low round count (if any) in excellent condition at one hell of a price.  I love Browning, but am just getting into hunting again (he has a Gold Hunter and I'm shooting my Springfield single 16ga) I allowed him to get it based on the recommendation of the shop owner and Brownings overall reputation.  I did not do the normal research I would have (stupid me) and have seen only mixed reviews on this gun.  It seems people either love it or hate it.  Is it worth keeping or should I use it as a trade for something else?
By flannel - 9/27/2013 7:47:45 PM
Lewisabc123 (9/27/2013)
flannel (9/1/2013)

What is concidered an early model 3.5?  My son just picked one up apparently it was a banquet gun some one traded in, very low round count (if any) in excellent condition at one hell of a price.  I love Browning, but am just getting into hunting again (he has a Gold Hunter and I'm shooting my Springfield single 16ga) I allowed him to get it based on the recommendation of the shop owner and Brownings overall reputation.  I did not do the normal research I would have (stupid me) and have seen only mixed reviews on this gun.  It seems people either love it or hate it.  Is it worth keeping or should I use it as a trade for something else?

Sheesh, youre tapping my memory-lol. When the browning gold came out '95? The 3.5s were jam o matics with the light target loads ( much like benellis are now) because there was some issue with the gas piston; the later 3.5s didnt seem to have this issue. In regards to keeping it, I would shoot the hell out of it and see what happens.  Theyre  very sweet handling guns and are extremely reliable with the proper ammo.
By Amish Amy - 9/28/2013 5:15:39 AM
I have nothing to add about the early models but Golds are great guns.  I have two 3" 12's one blue that i shoot sporting clays with and a camo one that I hunt with.  I  I use Federal Ultra shoks which shoot very well in mine.  For some reason it does not eject Kents well.  Find the right load and he will love it
By flannel - 9/28/2013 9:18:38 PM
Amish Amy (9/28/2013)
I have nothing to add about the early models but Golds are great guns.  I have two 3" 12's one blue that i shoot sporting clays with and a camo one that I hunt with.  I  I use Federal Ultra shoks which shoot very well in mine.  For some reason it does not eject Kents well.  Find the right load and he will love it

Joe, I shoot the Federal Speed Shoks, have you noticed much difference between the two besides price? Ive never tried the Ultra Shoks myself, just curious.
By Amish Amy - 9/29/2013 5:17:31 AM
Flannel  i've never shot em(Speed Shok).   I'm told the difference is the plating??  When the Kents stopped working well, for whatever reason, I tried Black Cloud and Ultra Shok did not notice a difference in the two so the price on the Ultra Shot at the time was $119 delivered per case. so I bought several.  I looked at rogers couple weeks ago and sawe that they did not have any so i'm wondering if Federal is discontinuing it in favor of black Cloud .  Hope Not.   Joe
By flannel - 9/29/2013 10:38:45 AM
Funny you mention them possibly being discontinued,  I think i now remember hearing that federal has been planning to drop that line- I dont care for black clouds much myself, so I guess I'll be sticking to the speed shoks that i've been very happy with anyway! Good luck to you this year on the ducks
By Boilermaker - 10/1/2013 2:12:12 PM
I purchased a new A5 back in March before turkey season...and I love it. My dad purchased a "new - old stock" 3.5" Goldhunter last year but doesn't hunt with it...yet. If I were worried about weight, I'd definitely go with the new A5, if you want less recoil go with the Goldhunter. My A5 points great, and fits me just right after I adjusted the LOP with the included spacers; however you won't forget it everytime you slap the trigger. The old A5's had the spring and barrel to soak up some recoil and since this new A5 is based on Benelli's inertia actions, there's nothing to reduce the recoil, IMO. If you can find one, look for a Japanese A5 magnum or A5 Stalker (synthetic w/parkerized finish, don't fall for a blued finish that someone slapped some aftermarket synthetic on); unless you're dead set on shooting 3.5" shells. I bought a 3" new A5 stalker because I just don't see the need for a 3.5" in S. Central Indiana. Took it out the second weekend of early goose here in IN and had my 5 on the ground before 8:30. It's a great shooting, fast pointing gun that functions great and easy to clean. i'll probably never go back to a gas gun after buying this one. Then again, I'm partial to the A5's all around!