Coot dekes?

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic772071.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Team870 - 2/18/2013 3:42:03 PM
Been thinking about adding some coot decoys to my spread for next season. Does anyone else do this? If so, are you bringing in more birds?
By eloveless - 2/20/2013 9:28:30 AM
I heard they were good confidence decoys and have a bunch of 3 out in a small pound and can't tell a difference. Not saying they don't work.. Just depends if you have them where you are hunting. If you don't, it looks unnatural. I am NE Texas.
By hunter951 - 2/20/2013 11:57:35 AM
Shot my first mallard over three dozen. Rafts of several thousand were just a short distance away.
photo.JPG
By TBru - 4/27/2013 11:19:52 PM
I have not seen them make any difference. If the ducks are close enough to see that you have coot decoys, they should be dead.
By Alex Hilburn - 4/28/2013 1:36:31 PM
I think all coot decoys would be helpful for is A.) If you want to shoot more coots, and B.) improved visibility of your spread from a longer distance (which I would achieve with diver decoys rather than coot decoys).  I don't think I'd waste my money on them.  I hunt areas with large numbers of coots, and do just fine without any coot decoys.
By MOFUGLY - 5/1/2013 5:58:27 PM
As with all confidence decoys, you are more likely to hurt yourself by placing them in the wrong spot than to help yourself. I use confidence decoys to block ducks from going to a spot that I don't want them to but for that the best decoy is swan decoys. Coots will work but not like swans.

If you are to target coots, coot decoys work. Actually on one of our banding outings we had a 100 bird goal and fell short by 24.....until we banded 26 coots with $100 reward bands. 2 seasons later and we still haven't had one collected.
By Alex Hilburn - 5/1/2013 6:55:56 PM
Holy crap....when does your season open, and when should I be there?
By hunter951 - 5/2/2013 8:10:35 AM
I'm gonna start shooting coots!
By MOFUGLY - 5/2/2013 11:24:06 AM
Alex Hilburn (5/1/2013)
Holy crap....when does your season open, and when should I be there?

Pacific Flyway baby, you gotta love it. 7 bird limit (25 coots daily) that opens second weekend in October and runs to the last weekend in January. 107 staight days.
By MOFUGLY - 5/2/2013 11:25:46 AM
Banded a ton of doves with $100 reward bands as well.
By brmotorhead - 5/9/2013 7:39:19 PM
in my opinion, it would all depend on one thing. hunting pressure. if your hunting an area that doesnt get much or any pressure, i wouldnt bother as the birds will probably decoy anyway (given youve done your homework and have found a good spot). If you have an area that has birds, but also has a large number of coots, and this area is getting alot of pressure, then yea, a few doz coot decoys with a handful of puddlers might work. its one of those things where you will have to do your homework and just give it a try. Ive hunted an area that gets pounded by hunters, with realistic decoys, motion, calling, every trick in the book, you name it, and i have all i can do to get birds to decoy. they fly over my spread just out of range and yes, i have seen mallards avoid several decoy spreads on the marsh just to dive bomb within 20 yards of a large raft of coots. but again, it all depends on the birds and the situation. the birds can distinguish which species is which, and they can do that WAY before they get within shooting distance. if a bird can pick out a food source at 100 yds, then you bet they can tell whether its a bunch of mallards or a bunch of coots. personally, instead of buying box after box of coot decoys, i quit hunting that area and did some scouting. if you can find private land to hunt with low pressure, find public land thats off the beaten path, even if youve got to do some legwork and eventually you will find a spot with very little if any hunting pressure at all and youll never think about a coot decoy again. but thats just what I would do.
By JoJer - 5/10/2013 1:52:43 PM
I had a dozen or so old inflate-a-duck rubber decoys that I painted into coots. The deeks are small, about 11" long so they're a good size match. I hunt ponds where there are always lots of coots. I often have coots swim in to look the deeks over and I think this helps my spread. I usually fill the coots in on the periphery of the spread. The only problem with the rubber deeks is that they're heavy, so I'm not carrying them in as often as I used to.
By deadshot7 - 7/31/2013 2:58:04 PM
Coot decoys are great early season.

I've had every species of duck land in their respective species of decoys... except for teal.

No worries though... I've got a dozen coot decoys that are practically all I put out until early-mid November (pretty much all we see are teal here), and by golly, I've had dozens of teal land in them.

They work great. Gadwall have come to them as well early season. Definite confidence and definitely something unique to set your spread apart from the others.

For $60/dozen, why wouldn't you try it?
By brmotorhead - 8/3/2013 10:37:58 PM
agreed. try it and give it a shot! if you notice a difference, great! if not, o well! nothing wrong with trying something new and making your own opinion!
By sprigsss - 11/7/2013 11:27:24 AM
Shot bunches of divers, gadwalls, wigeons, teal and a handful of mallards when I was a kid hunting over black 2-Liter bottles with white caps.

The lake had more coots than anything and the ducks WOULD NOT decoy to a duck decoy spread.  Just didn't look natural at that particular lake.

Toss a dozen decoys amongst 4 dozen 2-Liter bottles and they would decoy all day long.

So just depends on what's around.