GHG Decoys

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771540.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Hunter Hall - 1/13/2013 1:15:52 PM
I'm looking to refresh my decoy spread. I have heard that got buys are semi worth their money. Is it better to buy GHG progrades life size or oversize and pay the extra money? I hunt a lake and usually deploy a spread about 2 to 3 dozen mallards pintails teal and shovlers. Should I buy Ghg progrades life size or oversize compared to the hot buys. 
By QuackHead 96 - 1/13/2013 4:06:22 PM
Hunter Hall, I would suggest if you are wanting to really increase the size of your spread, that you go with the Hot-Buy Mallards. They don't cost too much and you can really increase the size of your spread with the decoys. I love the Pro-Grades though. The paint schemes are second to none and you can't beat the durability. Honestly, start with what you need and then continue to upgrade.

I hope this info helps and hope you have a great season!! Please contact me if you have any more questions!!
By Hunter Hall - 1/13/2013 8:57:05 PM
Thanks I really like the prograde paint schemes it I didn't know if it was worth it
By MPearrow - 1/14/2013 7:17:55 PM
I recommend the Pro Grade they are nice life like decoys . I use these decoys everyday I hunt ,but if it is late season I high recommend you to check out the timber January Decoys these look like the ducks at this point in the migration 
By Hunter Hall - 1/15/2013 3:56:03 PM
Could you just mix gray and white paint and get a Janurary look with out spending money. Just refurbish some old decoys
By JoJer - 7/3/2013 10:29:54 PM
  I re-repainted 3- 4 dzn dekes after last season. I told myself when I started out that I was just going to touch up and move on. I'd done this chore before and I KNEW it was more work than I really wanted to do. Well, before too long, I was doing the whole bunch from scratch. 'Bout half of theses are Hot Buys and the rest is 2-3 other brands. I can say that the hot buys are easier than some other brands. But I think I'm done with repaints.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get a dime more than what I paid for these in spite of the work I put in. Makes me kind of think it wasn't worth the effort. Next time around, I'll unload these and buy new. Plastic decoys have just become too inexpensive to bother fixing. Maybe if these were up grades it would be worthwhile. 

Now I have to decide if the Canada floaters I started are worth finishing. I have some time to decide-I painted dekes in weather like this (triple digits) once before and it was awful-the paint dries in the airbrush before you can get it on the deke or it's so thin it takes 4 coats.