Coverage of 2016 Wisconsin State Convention

 

More than 100 Wisconsin DU state leaders, volunteers, members and partners gathered for the 2016 Wisconsin State Convention on Jan. 29 and 30 in Stevens Point.

Participants celebrated successful fundraising and conservation accomplishments in 2015, and planned ahead for 2016 and beyond.

Top chapters were honored during an awards luncheon on Saturday. Click here to see a list of winners.

Saturday's lunch keynote speaker was Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Secretary Cathy Stepp. Sec. Stepp thanked DU volunteers for their efforts to help conserve Wisconsin's wetlands.

She also presented a check for more than $146,000 to DU for a portion of the 2015 Wisconsin Waterfowl Stamp revenues. Wisconsin annually spends 67% of stamp revenue on developing, preserving and restoring wetland habitat for waterfowl production. The remaining 33% goes to nonprofit organizationsthe for the development of waterfowl breeding areas in Canada. DU will match this money, then Ducks Unlimited Canada will match it with NAWCA dollars. Once the matching is done, the $146,000 will turn into more than $600,000.

Sec. Stepp also awarded a check for $34,341, which was collected from DU license plate sales in 2015.

Mike Carlson

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2016 Wisconsin partner of the year: Mike Carlson
One of DU's greatest partners in Wisconsin is Mike Carlson, interim executive director for Gathering Waters, a statewide service center for Wisconsin's land trust community. Read more.

 

 

 

Gregg Meissner

2016 DU Wisconsin Volunteer Conservationist of the Year: Greg Meissner
Greg Meissner and his hunting buddies established the Sturgeon Bay Chapter of Ducks Unlimited nearly 40 years ago and he's been a staple in lower Green Bay conservation efforts ever since. Read more.

.