Makes about 40 bite-sized snacks
The best kind of finger food for the holidays, or for a quiet afternoon once the season is over. These mini-tacos will disappear like Canada geese do when you finally get a day off.
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 4 oz. ground duck/goose
- ¼ minced onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green pepper
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 3/8 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 6 corn tortillas (5-6 inches diameter)
- 2 oz. grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 c. chopped ripe tomatoes
- ½ c. chopped yellow onion
- ½ tsp. (canned) chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and brown the ground meats.
- Add the onion, green pepper and garlic, and sauté until softened.
- Add the chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off and add the sour cream.
- Cover and set this aside.
- Prepare the salsa: Chop the tomatoes coarsely and add to the onion, jalapeño pepper and cilantro.
- Mix well.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer.
- Cut the tortillas into 8 pie segments: in half, then in half twice again.
- When the oil is hot, dip each segment into the hot oil and fry until crisp, about 3-4 minutes each.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To assemble: Spread some of the meat mixture on the tortilla chips, then a bit of the shredded cheese and top with the salsa.