Alaska DU Chairman, Jim Young, presented awards to top-performing committees and individual volunteers in recognition of outstanding accomplishments in calendar year 2013. Awards were presented on March 15, 2014 in Anchorage. Awards were presented as follows:
The Clark Springer Platinum Waterfowl Award is the highest award given by Alaska DU. The award recognizes the Alaska volunteer who has had the greatest overall impact to DU. The 2013 Springer award was presented to Annie Staudenmaier, of Anchorage. Annie is a stalwart of numerous committees including the Anchorage Fall banquet and the Anchorage Ladies committee. Annie frequently volunteers to help at other events, particularly at the check-in/check-out table. In the past year she assisted at the Ninilchik, Seward, and Mat-Su banquets. Annie is also a member of the DU National Shoot Committee, and attended last year’s SHOT Show and DU national convention. Annie is the twelfth winner of the Spring Award, established in 2002 in honor of the late Clark Springer, whose lifetime service and contributions to Ducks Unlimited set the standard for volunteerism.
Area Chairman of the Year awards were presented to Chris Duffy and Joedy Wake for the outstanding results of the 2013 MGD (Military/Government/Dept of Defense) banquet.
Alaska DU State Council Member award was presented to Lyndon Ibele for his work on the state art committee and state website, as well as hosting the Major Donor event and volunteering for numerous committees and events including the Anchorage Spring BBQ, Kenai River banquet, Kodiak banquet, Potter Marsh field day, and the Great Alaska Sportsman Show booth.
Chapter awards were presented to:
- Anchorage Ladies: Percent increase in event income (highest percent increase in net/net dollars over the prior year).
- Anchorage Spring BBQ: Top Income chapter, top Event Income (most net/net $ raised in a single event), Top Sponsor Membership (Largest number of Sponsors at a single event), Top Membership Event (Most total attendees at a single event)
- Bethel: Volunteer Growth (largest percentage increase in committee volunteers
- Copper Delta: Highest Dollar per Capita (highest net/net per adult attendee)
- Copper Delta Sponsor Event: Top Sponsor Event (highest net/net income at a sponsor only event)
- Eagle River: Top Sportsman’s Night Out event (most net/net income raised at a SNO event)
- Fairbanks: Top Greenwing Membership Event (most Greenwings at a single event)
- Haines: Attendance Growth (highest percent growth in attendance from prior year)
- Kodiak: Percent Increase in Per Capita Net/Net (Highest percent increase in net/net per adult attendee)
- MGD: Top Event Efficiency (highest percentage of net/net income to gross dollars), Efficiency Growth (most increase in net/net to gross ratio when compared to the prior year), Top Sponsor Growth (highest percentage increase in sponsors), and Top Dollar Increase (highest increase in net/net income over the prior year)
- Naknek River: Top Bar Night (most net/net income raised at a bar night)
- Ninilchik: Top Sponsor Ratio (highest percentage of sponsors to adult attendees)
- Valdez: Top Sealed Bid Auction (most net/net income raised by a committee through sealed bid auctions)
Alaska Chapter of Excellence (ACE) awards were presented to six chapters, a new record. To qualify for an ACE award, a chapter event must demonstrate year-on-year increase in net/net income, have an event efficiency over 60%, and have year-on-year growth in event efficiency. Chapters receiving ACE awards were:
- Anchorage Ladies
- Copper Delta
- Fairbanks BBQ
Last but not least, the Anchorage Spring BBQ was recognized as a President’s Elite Chapter, a national award for chapters that have raised over $100,000. President’s Elite Chapters will be listed in the May/June issue of the DU magazine, and will be announced during the business session at the DU National Convention.
Congratulations to all the winners of 2013 awards, and thanks to all of our Alaska DU volunteers!