Since the Light Goose Conservation Order began in 1999, the end of duck season has been highlighted by the beginning of spring snow goose hunting. Chasing these birds isn't an easy task, and much like late-season waterfowling, spring goose hunting is gear intensive and tough on equipment. The DU Newsletter Editorial Team has sourced a handful of new and old products that add to the spring waterfowling experience.
FoxPro – Super Snow Crow Pro
The electronic caller adds a new dimension to light goose hunting. Otherwise decoy-shy birds become fixated on the sounds of a feeding flock and work aggressively to join birds on the ground. The FoxPro Super Snow Crow Pro is a top-of-the-line light goose caller that includes a number of features FoxPro has developed based upon extensive testing. The caller come standard with 100 FoxPro sounds and can store nearly 1,000 total sounds.
- Powered by two 12-volt gel cell batteries.
- Comes with two 30-watt external speakers and allows you to connect up to four external speakers.
- Comes standard with the TX-1000 remote control; features a full-color graphic LCD screen that displays your sound list or sound categories, has a barometer indicator, moon phase indicator, temperature indicator, battery level indicator, timer or time clock.
The Super Snow Crow Pro is backed by a five-year limited warranty and FoxPro's unmatched customer support, and is proudly made in the USA.
Exclusive FoxPro Features:
- FOXBANG™ automatically switches to your #1 preset after discharging your firearm.
- FOXMOTION™ mimics moving prey by fading sound from the left speaker to the right.
- FOXFUSION™ mixes and matches any two sounds of your choice.
- FOXPITCH™ lets you manipulate the "pitch" of any sound to trigger a response.
- FOXDATA™ records real-time information (temperature, barometric pressure, moon phase, stand duration, and shot time) from each stand. Over time you will be able to predict animal activity and hunting success based on hard data.
- FOXCAST™ sequence files allow for virtually hands-free calling.
- AUTO VOLUME™ automatically ramps up and modulates your volume.
For more information, visit www.gofoxpro.com.
Final Approach – XFD Foam Snow Goose Decoys
Light goose decoy spreads can become a numbers game, and rags or windsocks may not provide enough realism. Final Approach's XFD Foam Snow Goose decoys offer a lightweight, collapsible solution that provides the full-body realism needed for wary geese.
For more information, visit www.fabrand.com.
GreenHead Gear – Pro-Grade Full-Body Snows and Blues Goose Decoys
The GHG Pro-Grade Full-Body Snows and Blues Goose decoys can change the way light geese commit to your decoy spread. The detailed paint schemes and RealMotion II system offers realism and hassle-free setup and pickup. The solid one-piece construction eliminates broken heads and body splits, and allows for easy storage and mobility.
- Active 6-Pack: 2 Adult Actives, 2 Adult Sentries, 1 Juvenile Active, and 1 Juvenile Sentry
- Feeder 6-Pack: 2 Adult Searcher Feeders, 2 Adult Stretch-Neck Feeders, 1 Juvenile Searcher Feeder, and 1 Juvenile Stretch-Neck Feeder
- Harvester 12-Pack: 2 Juvenile Blues (1 Searcher Feeder and 1 Active), 2 Adult Blues (1 Stretch-Neck Feeder and 1 Sentry), 2 Juvenile Snows (1 Stretch-Neck Feeder and 1 Active), and 6 Adult Snows (2 Searcher Feeders, 2 Stretch-Neck Feeders, 1 Active, and 1 Sentry)
- Rock-solid one-piece construction eliminates broken heads and body splits
- New RealMotion II System offers hassle-free set ups and pick-ups
- 18" field stakes for hunting in any environment
- Four unique bodies ranging from 19" to 22-1/4" in total length
For more information, visit www.mackspw.com.
SilloSocks – Two-Arm Tornado Decoy Rotary Machine with Two Flapping Snow Goose Flag Decoy Combo Pack
The Two-Arm SilloSocks Tornado Decoy Rotary Machine and Two SilloSocks Flapping Snow Goose Flag Decoy Combo Pack adds additional movement to any goose spread and attracts geese from long distances, even on calm days.
- Two Arm SilloSocks Tornado Decoy Rotary Machine
- Two Flapping Snow Goose Flag Decoys
- Generous 14' diameter from tip to tip
- Speed control to adapt to various wind conditions
- Padded carrying case in Prairie Hide Camo
- Remote control unit works at up to 40 yards
For more information, visit www.sillosocks.com.
Real Geese – Economy Series Goose Silhouette Decoys
Weighing only 3 lbs. per dozen, Real Geese Goose Silhouettes provide additional numbers to any goose spread. These silhouette goose decoys feature a double wire stake design that offers structural integrity in high winds and allows for fast setup and take-down times. Decoys are constructed of corrugated plastic and are extensively field tested. Real Geese Goose Silhouettes come in six different head positions.
For more information, visit www.webfootdecoys.com.
Tanglefree Pro-Series Slammer Sock with Heads Goose Decoys
Tanglefree's new generation of wind sock, the Slammer Sock with Heads, are designed to fool decoy-shy geese under any conditions. Built with durable, lightweight components, these decoys offer the ability to increase your decoy spread size without jeopardizing realism. Available in snow geese only.
- Show Me motion master back support system for use in all weather conditions
- 28" fiberglass rod
- 23" x 13" Tyvek sock
- Stainless-steel back support
- Rubber washers
For more information, visit www.tanglefree.com.
Browning 3340 Blackout 6V Headlamp
The Light Goose Conservation Order allows hunters to stay in the field until 30 minutes after sunset, which means you'll need a hands-free light in your bag. Browning's 3340 Blackout 6V headlamp shines up to 550 lumens and 150 yards, more than enough to pick up and set out decoys.
- Five power options
- Includes two CR123A batteries
- Lamp shines up to 550 lumens and 150 yards
- Low-power option shines up to 40 hours
- Silent tilt
For more information, visit www.browning.com.
Carlson's – Shotgun Magazine Extensions
The traditional three-shell limit while hunting waterfowl is lifted during the Light Goose Conservation Order, and avid light goose hunters are taking full advantage of the extra shots. Carlson's offers shotgun magazine extensions for most makes and models. Each magazine extension comes with easy-to-follow installation instructions.
Click here to get more information, including a chart for each make and model of shotgun.
RedHead® Deluxe Layout Blind
Layout blinds are an essential gear items for avid snow goose hunters. RedHead's Deluxe Layout Blind offers an aluminum frame that's sturdy but lightweight, and a durable fabric shell. Following the geese won't be a problem with this ultra-mobile blind, and its other features may improve your hunting experience.
- 900-denier polyester shell
- Two zippered flagging ports
- Light, sturdy aluminum frame
- Insultaed and padded backrest and headrest
- Waterproof bottom
- Zippered boot sock for easy cleaning
- Folds compact
- Backpack straps included
Deployed size: 36" x 83" x 15". Folded size: 36" x 29" x 5". Weight: 15.5 lbs.
For more information, visit www.basspro.com.