| 2009 Artist of the Year
Vote for the DU International Artist of the Year
You're invited to vote for the Ducks Unlimited 2009 International Artist of the Year! Voting is currently taking place on our website at www.ducks.org/2009artistvote.
There are nine artists in the running for this top DU art honor. Be sure to take advantage of voting before the close date of February 15.
DU members, volunteers and supporters - just like you - will decide the winner!
Cast Your Vote Today!
|Your Support is Still Needed!
Save Farm Bill Conservation – Save Ducks
Across the nation, waterfowl seasons are coming to a close. Whether you had a good season or a bad one in the blind, the ducks that you shot (or just saw off in the distance…) came from somewhere. And Ducks Unlimited needs your help to make sure that those breeding grounds, and the flyover habitat between there and your blind, are protected in the Farm Bill.
More than 2 million ducks are born and bred on Conservation Reserve Program land in the Prairie Pothole Region, more than are taken in the entire Atlantic Flyway. Ducks and geese take advantage of Wetlands Reserve Program lands across the nation for stopover and wintering habitat.
And they need your help.
The Farm Bill is one step from the President's desk, and Ducks Unlimited members can make the difference to make sure that Conservation Programs are not cut. Let's make sure that there is more habitat on the ground in the form of Farm Bill Conservation Programs, so that there can be more ducks and geese in the sky.
|DU & Bass Pro Shops
Ducks Unlimited Month at Bass Pro Shops
Walk into a Bass Pro Shops store anytime this month and you’re going to feel very welcome. February is Ducks Unlimited Month at all Bass Pro Shops stores nationwide. Volunteers from local DU chapters will be on-hand to greet shoppers and share our passion for duck hunting and conservation. In recognition of DU’s vital conservation work, Bass Pro Shops is decking their halls with the Ducks Unlimited name and logo. And, when you purchase new gear at the check-out register, you’ll have a chance to add $2 dollars to your purchase as a direct donation to DU.
It’s an easy way to support Wetlands for Tomorrow, DU’s continental conservation campaign. Your $2 donation will enter you in contests to win a duck hunt for two in Arkansas, Bass Pro Shops gifts cards and a Ducks Unlimited parka from Whitewater Outdoors. Fishing season, turkey season, and duck season for that matter, will be here before you know it. Gear-up now and celebrate Ducks Unlimited at Bass Pro Shops throughout the month of February.
Visit www.basspro.com for more information.
|Did You Know?
The green-winged teal is the only species of duck known to scratch in flight.
Source: The Birds of North America: Life Histories For the 21st Century.
Learn more waterfowl facts in the Waterfowl ID Gallery.
| DU Partnerships
Bank of America: Carry the latest in outdoor gear and earn points that give you Ultimate Access® rewards
Apply today for a Ducks Unlimited Visa® WorldPoints® credit card. Choose from 8 card designs including three new card designs: the camo card featuring Advantage Max-4, or choose a card featuring either a Yellow Lab or a Black Lab.
Learn more about Ultimate Access® rewards—A Benefit of the Ducks Unlimited WorldPoints credit card that gives you the ability to redeem points for once in a lifetime experiences, access to special events and exclusive memorabilia. For details, visit WWW.WORLDPOINTSULTIMATEACCESS.COM.
To learn more about the cost and benefits of this credit card, click here.
Featured Recipe: Duck Scaloppine
Quick and Tasty Scaloppine
This classic Italian dish tastes great with duck and takes only 20 minutes to prepare.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8-12 skinless duck breast fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon each salt, coarsely ground
- black pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 16 asparagus tips, blanched and cooled
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lemon (outside yellow part only)
- 2/3 cup tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Place duck breast fillets inside a freezer-safe zip-lock bag. Using the flat side of a mallet or a heavy skillet, lightly pound the meat until it is about 1/4-inch thick. In a bowl, combine flour with salt, black pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning. Lightly dredge duck through flour mixture, shaking off excess.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add duck a few pieces at a time, and lightly brown on both sides. Remove duck medallions when done and keep warm. Add garlic, onion, capers, chicken broth, and lemon juice to skillet. Then add asparagus and mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add lemon zest and tomato. If desired, whisk in additional chilled butter for a creamier sauce.
3. Arrange duck on plates and spoon sauce over. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Watch Scott Leysath prepare this recipe online!
Has your email address changed? Click here to update your profile!
Pic of the Week
Submitted by DU Member
View Full Image