Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

What are you and your hunting dog working on?

Posted 7/26/2014 4:55:38 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:29:01 PM
My wife and I run a Labrador breeding kennel in upstate New York specializing in hunting dogs that will also make good family members.
Right now we are working a 2 year old female that hunted with me last season, retrieved a hundred or so ducks and geese, and will stay with us to breed and hunt.
Her main weakness last season was blinds, or the 3rd or 4th bird down out of a flock that fell well beyond the decoys. I had a tough time pushing her out 60yds. or more to get that long bird. 
So, needless to say, that has been the focal point of our training. Setting up a good spread, dropping 2-3 birds in the dekes and then pushing her out well past for that last bird. She seems to be doing well and I can't wait to watch her handle it on a real hunt.
We are also working 3 young dogs that will be going into their first seasons.
 One male is just over a year and working on multiple marks as well as some simple cold blinds.
The other 2, a 7 month old brother and sister pair, are working on obedience as well as difficult single marks and lining and casting drills.
The 7 month olds are going to run a NAHRA started test in a couple weeks.
The 2 males will stay with me and hunt early season geese then go to their new owners for duck season while the female will stay with me to hunt and breed.
 What are you all working on with your dogs?
 If they hunted last year, what were their weaknesses and what, if anything, are you doing to correct them?
 If this is their first season what are you working on to get them prepared?
Post #776402
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/26/2014 6:36:32 PM

Last Login: 8/14/2014 4:19:14 PM
I live in Texas and right now I'm in the process of opening up my own waterfowl dog business as well as breeding and guided hunts! I just lost my main dog who was going to be ready for opening of teal season but the UPS man didn't see him and accidentally hit him:/ a $1400 dog that i had to pay for but he was much more than that! but right now i have a 5 month old lab named Teal who is on her 2nd week of obedience and has everything down real good and about to start polishing up with the Sport Dog E-collar and introducing it to her by let4ting her wear it for a couple of days before stimulation, but after we are gonna polish up with obedience then go to forced fetch with her and when teal season starts I'm gonna take teal about every other day to expose her to the environment and try and have her ready or at least getting the hang of the game by season opener in October!

Grant Goebel
Post #776409
 Posted 7/26/2014 11:37:18 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:29:01 PM
Hey Grant, sorry to hear about your dog.
To put so much time, effort, money and love into a dog and then lose them is heartbreaking.
Sounds like you've got your youngster off to a great start. 
Wish we had an early teal season here. It would make starting the youngsters much easier than our early goose.
always been leery of having the first wild birds the little guys tangle with be a bird 1/3 their weight but so far have not had it be a problem.
Good luck with the pup, the season and the business.
Post #776413
 Posted 7/27/2014 7:50:51 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:07:27 PM
hi ducker,

I see you had some success in B'ville.  I am hoping to be back in good enough health to run Sage in the Sept hunt test and get his final ribbon for JH.  it's all I set out to do with him and I am going to follow through. 

Sage's weakness is mostly his speed.  He needs to slow down when he is on blinds.  If he sees it fall, no problem. but to send him out blind, he runs like a raped ape and blows right by the bird.  I am getting him to sit when he gets to the approximate area of the downed bird or dummy.  it helps him get his motor shifted back toward neutral and I can give him some advice, which he is beginning to take.

it's all good.  he should be ready for his prime years this season.  I too, wish we had a teal season. instead of those flying boot leather honkers to mess with in Sept.

good luck this season and i'll be sure to scare over a few greenheads to the muck for you.

and to the fella from TX.  sorry about you dog and good luck in your new venture.

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #776419
 Posted 7/27/2014 10:27:17 PM

Thank y'all so much but yea it definitely was a tough week. everything and i mean everything reminded me of him.... But thats part of it:/ I really wish we had more geese in the part of Texas i live in but teal season definitely helps with the birds being a little smaller and for the young pups. My biggest part is patience. Its hard for me to hold on to it. Like for example, today i was working here,sit/stay,heel, and place and Teal was doing kind of sluggish but i could get her hyped back up with the way i talk to her but i normally end on a place and then i ask her to shake or give me a five and then i pull out the bumper and end on some fun. Well i threw the bumper and she chased it and grabbed it and dropped it and ran back to me. She NEVER does that for being as extremely bumper crazy as she is but she kept doing it so i got frustrated. So i started thinking why would she do that, maybe she is teething or just tired from being outside in the Texas heat for 2 hours, or just having a bad day at "school". but for me i just stopped and put her up and am going to pick back up tomorrow and gave the rest of the day off. And on occasions i would try and get her to fetch today and she finally did a couple of times. I know she can do it and when she goes into her state of acting like she's never done it just frustrates me so bad!!!!! But i will learn over time! Im only 18 so i have a lot of time hahah!
Post #776421
 Posted 7/28/2014 4:42:37 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:07:27 PM
One word 
PATIENCE!!!!!!!
Slow down.  2 hours is too long. 20 mins in the cooler early morning and 20 in the evening. That dog has a year and a half more training and some fun before he lives up to your expectations. We all want deke the DU DOG right out of the box. Not going to happen. 
Slow down. Have fun. And that means You too!!  :)

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #776426
 Posted 7/29/2014 3:35:09 PM

Thank y'all for all of yalls input ! The parents normally leave at 5 in the morning so they let the dogs out super early and i normally wake up at 7 to start training  then i feed, then i try and hit an evening session with Teal. I have gotten a lot better by being patient just takes a lot of time. I try and keep telling  myself that they aren't humans and don't speak english so we have to teach them and be patient. Is there any way y'all could give me a schedule start to finish of training. For example.....

Obedience, obedience with e-collar, forced fetch, ground/walking forced fetch, etc...

from start to finish like all the way to blinds including land T and water T to overs and stuff like that i would be greatly apprecieative just helps me stay on track when it comes to training.
Post #776443
 Posted 7/29/2014 6:11:21 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:57:44 PM
If you will use the Search function for the boards and look for "flowcharts" you will find plenty of info.
Post #776445
 Posted 8/12/2014 12:14:06 AM

Last Login: 11/7/2014 10:34:47 PM
GoebelsRetrievers (7/29/2014)
Thank y'all for all of yalls input ! The parents normally leave at 5 in the morning so they let the dogs out super early and i normally wake up at 7 to start training  then i feed, then i try and hit an evening session with Teal. I have gotten a lot better by being patient just takes a lot of time. I try and keep telling  myself that they aren't humans and don't speak english so we have to teach them and be patient. Is there any way y'all could give me a schedule start to finish of training. For example.....

Obedience, obedience with e-collar, forced fetch, ground/walking forced fetch, etc...

from start to finish like all the way to blinds including land T and water T to overs and stuff like that i would be greatly apprecieative just helps me stay on track when it comes to training.

I use Lardy's " Total Retriever Training" program. If you google his name and retriver training it should take you to his site. He hand a flow chart that you can down load. It will take you from yard work through field and into complex blinds / marks. Like most programs it's based on Rex Carr's training program. If your so inclined there are DVD's and books available. Good luck and have fun!

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com
Post #776604