Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Help with Springer on stop on a wistel

Posted 7/10/2014 11:43:59 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/5/2014 2:03:55 PM
I have a 4 year old spring spaniel that I bought 8 months ago and was sold to me as a finished dog. She does all the retrieving that I want and is great in those aspects. I am working on handling with her and she has taken to casting and all handling drills flawlessly and is a very fast learner. My main worry is she has never been thought to stop on a whistle. I have not used an e-collar on her but I am at the point that I think this is the only way she will learn to stop. I am wrroied that if I do use the e-collar I will mess up the rest of the training that she has had put into her. I would really enjoy any ideas on how to go about this. The breeder tells me that she is collar conditioned I have just never used one on her.

Tags:
Post #776287
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/10/2014 2:28:08 PM

Last Login: 10/8/2014 12:46:08 PM
I have a 5 year old springer that i got as pup and trained myself without a e-collar and thats the one thing i cant get her to do either so if you figure it out let me know and any info from anybody is appreciated.
Post #776289
 Posted 7/10/2014 7:29:12 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07:29 PM
Yock (7/10/2014)
I have a 4 year old spring spaniel that I bought 8 months ago and was sold to me as a finished dog. She does all the retrieving that I want and is great in those aspects. I am working on handling with her and she has taken to casting and all handling drills flawlessly and is a very fast learner. My main worry is she has never been thought to stop on a whistle. I have not used an e-collar on her but I am at the point that I think this is the only way she will learn to stop. I am wrroied that if I do use the e-collar I will mess up the rest of the training that she has had put into her. I would really enjoy any ideas on how to go about this. The breeder tells me that she is collar conditioned I have just never used one on her.

I too have a Springer, going on 11 years. Have you taught to sit on the whistle when shes on a lead/check cord? This needs to be solid before moviing on to whistle stop. If youve already done this then the next step is to do a remote sit, call the dog to you, then blast your whistle for sit. The first couple times you may need to get a little crazy and get in your dogs face with the whistle. It also helps if youve taught hand signals in tandem with the verbal comands (usually raisng your right hand in a stop motion like a traffic cop). Lets see where youre at, and im happy to help all i can- love Springers!!

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #776291
 Posted 7/11/2014 3:07:07 PM

Last Login: 9/10/2014 6:12:03 AM
Believe it or not, this is an easy thing to teach. Here is what I did:

I had my lab walk around about 25 feet ahead of me, not really doing anything special. I would blast the whistle, and then say "sit" in a very loud and firm voice. Did that about 5-10 more times, and then did some marks. At the end of the session, do the whistle blast/ "sit" drill again, but not more than 5 times. After that, throw a fun bumper as a reward.

My dog picked it up in about a week. After about two weeks, he was ready for the e-collar.
Post #776302