Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Obedience Training? Classes near Baltimore?

Posted 7/2/2014 3:48:10 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/2/2014 4:02:13 PM
Getting an 8-wk old Yellow Lab from Chamberlain Kennels in Blairs, VA on July 12--will be my first hunting dog. I live in Reisterstown, MD. I will be using Richard Wolter's "Water Dog" as a "Bible" for the training, but I have been told by numerous of my hunting buddies that a basic weekly obedience course w/ an outside trainer to work with owner and pup would be a good idea from the very get-go before attempting the more advanced bird dog training I intend to undertake on my own. I was wondering people's thoughts about this and if anyone from the Baltimore area could suggest a trainer/course in the area who/that would be good for this sort training with the understanding I will eventually be training him as a hunting dog. Any suggestions/referrals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Tags:
Post #776235
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/7/2014 2:13:06 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
good question that could solicit multiple answers......all of which could be right.

it depends on the amount of time you have to devote to the training and even more importantly, how patient are you?

some dogs just breeze along with training and some that need more time and attention.  all have the ability to become good retrievers. 

obedience training is #1.  start from the moment you get your pup.  get him socialized.  walk with him often on short lease.  teach him early that being at your side is where  he needs to be until you command him otherwise.

good luck, have fun and safe hunting. 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #776261
 Posted 7/7/2014 2:19:11 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
good question that could solicit multiple answers......all of which could be right.

it depends on the amount of time you have to devote to the training and even more importantly, how patient are you?

some dogs just breeze along with training and some that need more time and attention.  all have the ability to become good retrievers. 

obedience training is #1.  start from the moment you get your pup.  get him socialized.  walk with him often on short lease.  teach him early that being at your side is where  he needs to be until you command him otherwise.

good luck, have fun and safe hunting. 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #776262