Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

New to the sport.

Posted 4/3/2014 6:22:16 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/14/2014 12:26:55 PM
I recently bought my first Lab and bought this membership because my boss was a member and I thought it was a quick way to get onto his good side. Since becoming a DU member I have been doing some research and reading and I've fell in love with the sport without ever embarking on a hunt. I am seeking advice on the steps I should take in order to be ready for next season. Thanks. 
Post #775878
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 4/3/2014 7:46:51 PM

Last Login: 5 hours ago
Hi Fenway, this is your boss...........you're fired!

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #775879
 Posted 4/4/2014 4:52:13 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
Congrats on the new love affair. Waterfowling is a gear driven pursuit. You could spend hundreds if not thousands getting ready for your first season. I suggest you join a local waterfowling or retriever club, work hard and get to know people.

You may get invited on a few hunts with the seasoned veterans so you can decide whether this is true love or just a passing infatuation before you plunk down a ton of cash on a 3 carat ring.

The basics you will need just to hunt with these fellows is shotgun, steel shot and camo coat and waders. It also doesn't hurt to do some scouting, find a field or two or a swamp that holds ducks or geese, get permission and invite the vets to hunt with you.
Post #775882