Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Dog Barking After Retrieve

Posted 3/21/2014 4:19:10 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/21/2014 4:19:18 PM
My chocolate lab is having a problem where whenever she retreives anything like a bumper, dummy, or bird, she returns it to me but then starts barking like crazy until i pick it up.... i think its cuz she's so excited and is trying to tell me "throw it again" or something. How can i get her to stop barking and just deliver the item quietly? I started just taking the item away from here whenever she barked and stopped playing with her. What is the best way to get rid of this??

Tags:
Post #775824
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 3/27/2014 1:45:01 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/29/2014 12:42:24 PM
I'm no expert, but here's an idea. Bring multiple bumpers/dummies with you to train. When she retrieves the first one, take it and put it out of her reach, wait 15 or 20 minutes (bring a chair, have her lay on the ground and praise her when she's quiet and still) and throw a new one. This will mix it up a little bit so you're not just throwing the same one over and over, because that's what she expects of you. Obviously, in the blind it won't be like that at all. You'll be taking one duck from her and hunting for new ones. This might not conquer the barking issue completely but it may help to mix it up. She's barking at you because she knows exactly what you are going to do and wants you to do it sooner and quicker... and that's okay because it sounds like she has a great drive to retrieve.

Also, make her heel before throwing the bumper/dummy. When she figures out that she has to sit down and be quiet before she gets to retrieve it, SHE WILL. Just don't cut her any slack, make her sit and be quiet every time. I think that you're doing great by not rewarding her for barking by stopping training all together. The biggest mistake dog trainers make is reinforcing bad habits.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great dog on your hands.
Post #775841
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook