Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

training an older dog

Posted 2/3/2014 10:33:23 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:33:57 PM
I have a 2 year old Golden that i plan on working with this off-season.  I just got hooked on duck hunting the last two seasons.  I realize it is not an ideal age to start, but it is what it is and we are gonna make it work.  He is a very obedient dog, went to a 3 week obedience school as a puppy and has all the basics down and is off leash most of the time we are outdoors (come, sit, stay, down, heal, drop it). I have done a lot of reading around here and other forums trying to pick up on what I can. 

I have decided that given my level of training ability this might be the best route to start http://www.gundogsupply.com/b10mirehowto.html
I am not looking for a competition level dog, just the basics.

one question i do have is deciding between training with bumpers or the dummy birds

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. And if there is a better book/dvd out there please let me know.

THANKS
Post #775570
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/4/2014 4:41:15 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6 hours ago
Not sure about the 10 min. retriever but have read many articles by the Dahls and they are knowledgable trainers.

Skip the fake ducks and go with bumpers. You may want to go with canvas. They are more dog friendly than plastic and much cheaper than the bird type bumpers.

Along with honing your dogs marking skills you will probably want to teach your dog the basics of handling so you can at least get him heading in the right direction for a bird he may not have marked well. That means at least 1/2 dozen bumpers and 9-12 would be better.

Having a good dog to hunt with makes waterfowling a much more enjoyable time.

Good luck and make sure both of you have fun training and hunting.
Post #775578
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook