Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 11/9/2013 8:20:18 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/9/2013 9:17:41 PM
It's been about a week and a half, maybe two weeks, and I've been working on force fetching my lab. She's obedient, she'll sit until told to move, heel, and everything I ask. But the only thing is, she loves to drop the bumper or whatever I throw half way back to me. She doesn't seem to show any improvement. Starting off, her jaw was really loose and she didn't want to hold it, so I hold her bottom jaw up so she has to keep it in her mouth. The way I was taught was to pinch her top jowl, say "fetch", put the bumper in her mouth, and tell her to hold. Then tell her to drop after a couple seconds while taking it out of her mouth, even knowing she really doesn't even hold it, but lets it sit in her mouth. Since then, I've moved into using pressure, like pinching her ear, and she just will not grab a hold of it no matter what. I put it in front of her face, and she just continues to move away from the ear pinching, and she'll roll to her side, or do everything she can, but just will not grasp the concept that she needs to grab the bumper for me to stop pinching her ear. Is there any tips or suggestions anyone could give me?
Post #774688
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 11/10/2013 5:07:26 PM

Last Login: 8 hours ago
Yes.  Put her back up on the table and start again.  Ff can take 4-6 weeks.  Keep at it.  
She will get it.  When you think she's regained where she left off.   Have her walk beside you with the bumper.  If she's good with that do bumper fetching on a short leash. Then longer etc. 
you have to be patient.  Some parts of training can take more time. 
If she is just plain stubborn, consider e collar with a pro. 
Or
Buy a golden!  
Good luck 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #774695
 Posted 11/12/2013 7:51:37 PM

Last Login: 8/4/2014 3:52:37 PM
FF does take a long time. There are plenty of other ways to help out. When my guy would drop the bumper early, he wouldn't get  a new one. I would send him back to get the one he dumped early. You can also give a tiny tap with the e collar the second that bumper leaves their mouth early. My dog caught onto that in a few days, and that was one of the biggest training meathods I found.
Post #774732