Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Force Fetch/Hold Issue

Posted 9/4/2013 1:11:01 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/9/2014 10:28:12 AM
Hey guys, 

I am FF my lab, almost 9 months old now and she holds great when walking on leash or at heel with no leash.  My issue is when I start tossing the bumper, she gets really sloppy with her hold and starts to cigar hold it or just has a really loose hold.  If I put the bumper on the ground and force fetch her she still holds well.. It is just whenever I toss the bumper out a little further she starts to get sloppy.  Any suggestions? 

Tags:
Post #773715
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 9/4/2013 2:38:38 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:39:34 PM
continue to reinforce the force fetch, start with very short tosses.  keep her on a short cord.  if she gets sloppy, give her a good rap under the chin....HOLD......good......HOLD.

the next session, go a little longer on the cord.

it will all  come together.

have fun!

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #773719
 Posted 9/4/2013 7:04:11 PM

What about when she starts to Cigar the bumpers? I am struggling with that the most. When she picks them up off of the ground she grabs an end instead of the middle.. Do I just need to keep moving it to the center and saying hold with a smack under the bottom jaw?
Post #773725
 Posted 9/12/2013 11:51:48 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:27:33 PM
I am not a pro. I can only tell you about 1 dog that I have personally forced. He is now 7 years old. Since he was a puppy he has wanted to cigar bumpers.

I used to freak about it, but even though I went to great lengths to get him to stop cigaring bumpers, he still does it to this day. Not all the time, but often.

In all of the time I have had him, I have never seen him try to cigar a bird. He handles them just fine.

If the cigaring bothers you, then correct it. You could try some PVC reducers over the ends of the bumper so your dog can't grab the end.

I did that, and it helped, but when we went back to bumpers without them, he would still cigar some.

I learned that since we didn't go any further than JH, that bumper manners weren't that important to me or that one dog of mine.

I have his daughter, and she never cigars a bumper. Always holds in the middle, I guess some dogs just don't care how they grab a bumper, just get it and get it back to the boss. At least that's my guys MO.
Post #773818
 Posted 10/4/2013 11:25:53 PM

Thanks for the responses, I took her upland hunting for pheasant at a game farm just to get her on warm birds the other weekend. First bird she didn't have much drive to get it as I think it surprised her.. bird 2-15 she retrieved to hand with zero issues.. cirgaring on retrieves must be just a bumper thing but now the only issues I have are getting her to sit still in a blind but I think that is a puppy thing that she will out grow as time goes on.

Edited: 10/4/2013 11:27:00 PM by duckhunt
Post #774126
 Posted 10/6/2013 7:28:58 PM

NO, she will not OUT GROW it.

steadiness is an obedience issue.  all dogs want "out of the gate".

if you want her to SIT. then make her sit. and she doesn't move until you tell her to.

it must be a part of your OB training, then worked into your field work training.  if you let her break when you get up to shoot, or when the birds are in the air, etc etc.  that is the dog you will always have.

I have found steadiness to be the most difficult part of training. it must start young or it is very hard to correct.

e collar is a good option if the dog already has the bad habit.  it is sooooooo much easier if you have someone working with you so you can concentrate on the dog.  the first season should have you shooting less ducks and working more with the dog in real life blind (any hunt really) situations.

remember...sit means sit.  period

Post #774152
 Posted 10/6/2013 7:33:57 PM

NO, she will not OUT GROW it.

steadiness is an obedience issue.  all dogs want "out of the gate".

if you want her to SIT. then make her sit. and she doesn't move until you tell her to.

it must be a part of your OB training, then worked into your field work training.  if you let her break when you get up to shoot, or when the birds are in the air, etc etc.  that is the dog you will always have.

I have found steadiness to be the most difficult part of training. it must start young or it is very hard to correct.

e collar is a good option if the dog already has the bad habit.  it is sooooooo much easier if you have someone working with you so you can concentrate on the dog.  the first season should have you shooting less ducks and working more with the dog in real life blind (any hunt really) situations.

remember...sit means sit.  period

a reliably steady dog doesn't take days or weeks to achieve. it will take months. real  hunting scenarios are huge help.  lot's of adrenaline, other hunters, guns going off, chaos.........that's the best training environment after solid OB has been instilled.

Post #774153