Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 7/16/2013 1:41:32 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7 hours ago
I have a one year old Lab/Golden Mix.  This is my first retriever and his progress has far exceeded my expectations.  He will retrieve to hand on both land and in the water.  Took him out in the boat with me all last year and he sits/lays quietly and shows no fear of the gun (does not flinch or whine).  Went out in the boat for some training this weekend and he will jump in the water after the training dummies and would even retrieve doubles.  My question is how will all of this training translate to actual hunting?  When we practice I throw the dummy, I do work with him on blind retrievals but I am concerned he will not make the connection when I shoot an actual duck.  I know there are remote launchers and cap pistols on the market, but I was wondering what other dog owners have experienced with their dogs transitioning from training to performance in the field. 
Post #773221
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/16/2013 9:10:05 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:32:36 PM
there is no substitute for the real thing.  see if you can get a hold of some ducks.  dogs can act very differently when they get a warm bird in their mouth. and if it's crippled................could even get weirder. 

if you can't find any.....just be ready to see and experience things you haven't seen or experienced yet.  if it happens, deal with it and work through it.

good luck

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #773225
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook