Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Dog Surgury question

Posted 5/19/2013 6:06:30 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/17/2014 11:28:46 PM
So my dog jumped off a ledge on a retrieve back in October and hurt his shoulder pretty bad. I brought him in to the vet and they put a cst on his foot thinking it was a bad foot sprain, 6 weeks later we took the cast off and nothing had changed. I took him back to the vet and they told me it might be his shoulder and if so, he would need to see an ortopedic surgeon. I am looking into going to see one and get his shoulder worked on, but it seems it is a ligament tear.

My question is, have any of you had a surgury like this on your dog? If so, how did the dog heal up after? I run him very hard year round, I guide pheasant hunts, duck hunt him a ton and compete with him in the springtime in Field Trials and Hunt Tests. I just want to be sure it is a good move to make.

Make 'em dead!
Post #772774
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/19/2013 6:18:34 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:29:58 PM
If you are on RTF, I'd take this question there. Way more experience with this type of question. They may also have knowledge of someone in your state or surrounding state that has successfully done this surgery on a competitive dog. Just like with humans, not all vets are equal and for stuff like this I always suggest someone that regularly work on competitive/working dogs. Give the folks on RTF your location and the description of injury and you should be good to go
Post #772775
 Posted 2/23/2014 12:49:48 PM

Last Login: 3/29/2014 10:39:38 AM
My last duck dog had a acl tear on her hind leg, I had the operation done and it takes a very long time to heal. also you have to keep the dog very restricted for months to not hurt it again wile it heals and it is costly but she did heal up and did hunt after. they are 50 percent more likely to tear the other side when its all said and done. the key is to do research and find a good doc to do it right because there is only one shot! good luck with your buddy
Post #775681