Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

New Lab Pup Coming To The Family In 4 Weeks

Posted 2/26/2013 11:15:31 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/17/2014 12:14:01 PM
I am picking up my first hunting companion (Lab) in 4 to 5 weeks.

What training books and DVD's would you recommend?
Post #772154
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/26/2013 3:37:57 PM

Last Login: 11/19/2014 12:23:07 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I have been using Bill Hillemans Puppy Retriever training video for the past 17 days, and my 15 week pup is doing phenomenal.  Bill walks you through a 28 day sequence to introduce the puppy into everything before you begin formal training.  At 15 weeks i have my black lab sitting real well, retrieving anything i throw for him, recalling, and he is starting to pick up doubles. 

I am using this DVD to simply prepare him and get his drive going before i send him off to a professional trainer.
Post #772161
 Posted 2/27/2013 12:37:44 PM

Last Login: 1/17/2014 9:17:51 AM
I would recommend the following link:

http://www.ducks.org/mydu/members/messageboards/Topic473949.aspx

Originated by Tim Price and a very good resource.  He put this out before Hillman's DVD came out I believe.  I have not used Hillman's DVD but here it is good.

If you're looking for Positive Only training (treat training, clicker training, hot dog training, cheese training, etc...), you'll find that on here just about anywhere DU has a video or article link to dog training.  Like I said, I would personally go with the link above which are all Rex Carr based approaches.

Have Fun!  Good Luck!  And remember, it's not a race.
Post #772173
 Posted 2/27/2013 3:38:15 PM

Last Login: 3 hours ago
Mallard Mugger (2/27/2013)
I would recommend the following link:

http://www.ducks.org/mydu/members/messageboards/Topic473949.aspx

Originated by Tim Price and a very good resource.  He put this out before Hillman's DVD came out I believe.  I have not used Hillman's DVD but here it is good.

If you're looking for Positive Only training (treat training, clicker training, hot dog training, cheese training, etc...), you'll find that on here just about anywhere DU has a video or article link to dog training.  Like I said, I would personally go with the link above which are all Rex Carr based approaches.

Have Fun!  Good Luck!  And remember, it's not a race.

hot dog training.....................bbbbbbbwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhaaaa!!

that's funny right there. 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #772174