Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Lefever Nitro Special

Posted 12/18/2012 7:29:14 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:15:10 PM
Considering gettin one of these old guns just for craps and giggles, anybody have experience with them?
The one I'm looking at is just a field model, 12 gauge and looks to be in good shape for a 90 year old gun.

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #771260
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/26/2012 11:10:49 PM

Last Login: 8/24/2014 9:08:30 PM
Sounds fantastic - you'll just need to pay up for some soft non-tox (Kent TM, RST Nice-Shot or ITX) or maybe open up the chokes to IM or light modified and just take your chances with steel.  $2-3/pop for the first route, and a definite possibility of a ring bulge or sprung rib with the latter.  If it's just a fun gun you're taking out some of the time, a few boxes of the expensive stuff will be a drop in the bucket compared to all the other gear and gas involved in a hunting season and as long as it more or less fits you, that'll be one sweet feeling gun!  Go for it.
Post #771347
 Posted 12/27/2012 1:08:13 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:15:10 PM
Thanks for the response! I would likely only shoot lead through it at clays or areas of upland bird where lead is still allowed. I have an ol' Remington M1900 that I love and is a family heirloom, so I wanted something similar that I could shoot more often without worrying about destroying a piece of family history. The Lefever seems like it would fit the bill, have you ever owned one or at least shot one? If so, what was your impression?

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #771357