Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

When hunting public ground do not shoot at birds when they are cupping...

Posted 11/2/2012 5:12:04 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/1/2014 1:12:40 PM
Being away from home on temporary assignment for work this season the only chance I get to hunt is on public ground. This was my first experience hunting public land...so far I have had many frustrations with people legitmately shooting at ducks while I am working a group and while frustrating I can understand it is what it is. But yesterday took the cake for me, it was a very slow morning but I did have a group of geese commit. As they were cupping in about 75 yards out a neighboring group of hunters unloaded on them. The geese had already flown over this group of "hunters" and then as they cupped in to my spread they unloaded flaring the birds. Not only did they shoot birds they already passed by but the shot they took was well over 100 yards not to mention I could here their shot crashing into the trees behind me which, by the way, stand on a metropark.

I understand that it is public land and I can't expect to have it to myself but I would have thought a little etiquette would be in order when birds are working someone else's spread. Especially if you are shooting with the sould intention of ruining someone's hunt. If anything this season's experience have really driven home an appreciation that I have had private property to hunt on up to this point. I guess there is a silver lining to everything.

On a side note, there are many people out there that would like to see hunting of all kinds outlawed. Even though these individuals probably didn't think about the consequences of their actions at the time...unloading your guns into a metropark certainly isn't helping the cause when it comes to ensuring public hunting land is available to future generations. Have a little respect for the public, fellow hunters, the environment, and yourself.

Been out here all day, all I've killed's a twelve pack...
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Post #770805
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 11/2/2012 5:00:35 PM

Last Login: 9/22/2014 10:48:38 AM
I havent found many guys on public who even knew what etiquette meant? Makes ya loose hope in people

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

"Wider chokes, thicker gumbos"
Post #770817
 Posted 11/3/2012 8:51:09 PM

Last Login: 6/16/2013 9:58:21 PM
All i get to hunt is public ground.  It is so frustrating and many days are ruined by how disrespectful other hunters are.  I just dont understand what these people are thinking.

A bad day in the blind beats a good day at work.
Post #770826
 Posted 1/1/2013 1:43:57 AM

Last Login: 8 hours ago
I hunt a lot of public land managed conservation areas and it happens every time. Always at least one idiot who would rather scare ducks off than see them work for someone else. Very frustrating indeed.
Post #771393
 Posted 3/4/2013 2:20:24 PM

Last Login: 3/6/2013 2:50:58 PM
Oh, it's not acceptable for someone to hunt your blocks, sky bust, and try to claim your birds?  That neeeeveeeer happens...:angry:  It's never really been said out loud but, when scouting, we're secretly looking for places where there are no other hunters rather than where the ducks are. haha
Post #772227
 Posted 3/12/2013 11:00:05 AM

Last Login: 11/19/2014 2:32:27 PM
all i hunt is public from ducks to deer and small game. i try to stay away from hunters but ive set up a 100 yard from an other group but never shot at ducks while the worked there spread or were out of my range so the wouldnt fly over to theres.ive ran into pheasant hunter in parking lots and waited for the and offered to walk down the field with them to help them get ther birds rather then walk ahead of them.in hope of them not coming over to were i was planning to hunt ducks and made clear to them were i was going to be for safty reasons.it is what it is.hunters leaving there trash pisses me off.
Post #772274
 Posted 3/16/2013 8:14:48 PM

Last Login: 11/3/2014 7:59:50 AM
I have had it happen every time i've gone out. I leave early in the morning, pick out my spot well away from other hunters,but it never fails that people will set up within 50 yards of me. and they will sky bust at the ducks that are clearly commiting to my spread! and every hunt,there is that one guy that blows his duck call like he is in the world championship for duck calling!!! 
Post #772308
 Posted 4/13/2013 9:06:43 AM

Last Login: 4/20/2013 9:02:12 AM
The respect for others on public grounds are gone. Not just in duck hunting in every type. I have many years hunting experince. This year was my first year duck hunting. I love the sport. But some of the things I witnessed were even a what the @#Q$ are they doing for a novice like me. Every thing from being cut off to watching guys shooting at birds 70 plus yards away. 
Post #772571
 Posted 5/14/2013 9:39:58 PM

Last Login: 7/21/2013 1:40:30 AM
We lost our private land two years ago due to a new line drawn by the city.  Since then it's all been public land.  Sucks.  Our group of three went from 50+ geese a year to about 10.  The respect and understanding is not there.

Finally got a private blind again.  Next year it's NE for me!!!
Post #772754
 Posted 6/1/2013 9:44:14 PM

Last Login: 6/15/2014 10:47:20 PM
I've never had any opportunity but to hunt public land and I can say its been a disappointing experience. It's always been crowded and the other hunters always took no consideration to your efforts working the birds.
Post #772853