Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Little Help to Decide!!!

Posted 8/8/2012 10:15:01 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/16/2014 12:53:37 PM
Hey All,

I am looking to buy a new Semi-auot this season, I have read about several, seen ads, and have seen some post but what I like to see if anyone has one of th newer Semi's...Vinci, Versa Max...... and so on if you have had any issues with them and what the problem was and last but not least did the manufacturer take care of the problem

Thanks for any help.....most of all before I spend $1300.00 to $1600.00
Post #769306
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 8/8/2012 3:16:42 PM

Last Login: 3/31/2014 11:06:10 AM
This time last year I purchased a new Browning Maxus with a 28" barrel, 3.5 chamber and MODB Camo.

As far as shooting goes, I've put hundreds and hundreds of clays rounds through it, and a season's worth of 3" and 3.5" duck and goose loads. Super hot summer days down to single digit winter mornings and it hasn't jammed, stuck or slowed down.
I grew up shooting pump 3" guns and I would liken the kick of the 3.5" shell through the Maxus to a 3" shell through my old Mossberg 500.

Went back and forth quite a lot on camo finish vs. black and haven't been disappointed, but I'm still not sure that I care too much. It is nice to have that little bit of extra insurance of super wet/muddy days though.

Easy enough to tear down that a quick clean up and wipe down are a no-brainer after each hunt.

Some nice little features like the magazine cut-off are pretty useful too.

I got super nit-picky...down to the placement of the safety (behind the trigger) to make my decision. Take your time and have fun.

Good luck!

-God Bless
Post #769315
 Posted 8/8/2012 4:27:50 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
Maxus, I bought one the first year for my son, hadan issue with the magazine cutoff, Browning fixed it.  I bought one last spring 2011 had issues with the trigger twice sent back Browning fixed it right the second time np probelems since hunted a lot with it last year .  Anyway as much as I like the Golds I have the Maxus is a dream to shoot is points great lightweight.  I've never had a jamm, neither has my son.  I've held never shot the Versa Max just held one didnt feel right didnt point as nice  I know they had some issues withte trigger as well but it has probably been corrected.. My $.02   Joe
Post #769316
 Posted 8/9/2012 7:26:54 AM

Last Login: 4/16/2014 12:53:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys...

Myself I have only shot the Versas Max once during a layout shoot last year and it handled and performed well but with the early issues with the gun and Remintons rep not what it used to be I just want to look at other options. Overall its looks like all the makes have some degree on issues but it how they are dealt with to me is more important.

I am heading to a shop on Friday that has there own outdoor shooting range so I can shoot a couple of different guns.....
Post #769326
 Posted 8/9/2012 5:49:00 PM

Last Login: 4/14/2014 4:58:10 PM
My mom shoots the beretta xtrema 2 belive.  I shot it last year be for hunting season and loved it.  She would rather shoot the beretta then the wingmaster.  Manly for the recoail.  She will still take the wingmaster out from time to time.

Critter Gettem with one shot
Post #769345
 Posted 8/9/2012 8:17:18 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:49:33 PM
As both a Browning and Beretta owner, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I too, would avoid any newer Remington as their Q.C. has been less than ideal for the last several years (Freedom Arms Group). I had firing issues with my Xtrema 2 and sent it in (free of charge) and got it back with a new firing pin and bolt pin. This fixed the problem and only cost nothing more than a little time to get it done. Since then, the gun has performed flawlessly and is my favorite waterfowl and turkey gun. As far as the Brownings go, I have a 3.5" Silver that has been absolutely flawless, simple to clean and a joy to shoot. Like I said earlier, you can't really go wrong with either 'B' gun. Good Luck!

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #769350
 Posted 8/19/2013 1:12:15 PM

Last Login: 4/13/2014 11:26:25 PM
Vinci, I have one and will get another one when I need one.
Post #773525