Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Self Training vs. Paid Training

Posted 5/29/2012 6:27:50 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/5/2012 7:29:30 PM
I myself have always trained my dog, simply because I have the freedom of owning a private hunting lake. My buddy who is always trying to out do me, got the same breed (but male) and paid over 1000 dollars to train him. Unfortunatly for him, the dog is still a non hunting dog compared to my little female who's ranked number one in my county. So now hes disgarded that dog and got a chocolate lab puppy. I told him I should train him but hes still going to pay the money at the same place. My question for you all, is do you prefer to train you dog or send them away to school?
Post #768292
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/29/2012 8:59:13 PM

Last Login: 9/7/2012 2:52:55 PM
Well , what do mean by 'disgarded' ?

I myself prefer to train all my dogs, I look at it this way, if a guy cant spend 15mins to a 1/2 hour on his dog he shouldnt have one period. any dumbass that throws money at getting a dog trained is just lazy. Im not surprised he threw the dog away. That a**hole needs an ol' fashon beat down. Its not the dogs fault his master is a lazy dumbass.

just my 2 cents.

Save the Ta Ta's
"Remember-The guy who shows up, is the guy who wins".............Redhead
Arm the Homeless
"I am out of smoke, napalm and .22 bullets"-----Uncle Si, Beaver hunting

Edited: 5/30/2012 12:23:42 AM by Base
Post #768298
 Posted 5/29/2012 9:05:55 PM

Last Login: 10/14/2014 11:40:58 PM
I agree with Base, I train my dog. If you don't have the time to train you're dog initially then you aren't going to have the time to keep him trained and all that money is wasted. Plus you know you're dog in and out and get the satisfaction of training. I love training my dog, why would i pay someone to do what I love for me?

Make 'em dead!
Post #768299
 Posted 5/29/2012 10:00:02 PM

Last Login: 2/19/2013 9:47:53 AM
How does a dog get ranked #1 in a county?  Just curious.  That's something I've never heard of.

As far as training goes....I do my own training.

Kg

<My new mission in life.....no more gunshy dogs>
Post #768302
 Posted 5/29/2012 10:34:36 PM

Last Login: 10/13/2013 12:24:40 PM
You said that he is always trying to out do you. Does it bother you that he is having a pro train the dog or is it that he may end up with a better dog that bothers you? Could you be just as guilty at trying to out do him? Did he tell you why he didn't want you to train him? 
But seriously,
Some people do not have the time, patience or knowledge to train a dog to the level they want. What's the difference between sending a dog off to get it trained versus buying a started dog? If it's someone that I hunt with, and they are unable to train a dog, I would be happy that they sent their dog to a pro to have the training done correctly.  After all,  when we hunt together, I sure don't want his dog losing my banded bird.
How much training would you expect for $1,000.00? If you got your basics done for $2,000.00 that would be a steal. The original poster mentioned that they had the same breed. He didn't mention though if they have the same bloodlines. Just because you have a retrieving breed doesn't guarantee you anything. Some dogs wash out (don't make it). 
Do you know why people pay mechanics to fix their cars? Because they don't know how to. But we all still drive cars. Do you know why people pay trainers to train their dogs? 
What kind of tests are you running that they rank dogs in the county?

Post #768304
 Posted 5/30/2012 12:27:15 AM

Last Login: 9/7/2012 2:52:55 PM
Dogs, are not cars Pit.

Save the Ta Ta's
"Remember-The guy who shows up, is the guy who wins".............Redhead
Arm the Homeless
"I am out of smoke, napalm and .22 bullets"-----Uncle Si, Beaver hunting
Post #768306
 Posted 5/30/2012 6:44:41 AM

Last Login: 10/13/2013 12:24:40 PM
Base (5/29/2012)
Well , what do mean by 'disgarded' ?

I myself prefer to train all my dogs, I look at it this way, if a guy cant spend 15mins to a 1/2 hour on his dog he shouldnt have one period. any dumbass that throws money at getting a dog trained is just lazy. Im not surprised he threw the dog away. That a**hole needs an ol' fashon beat down. Its not the dogs fault his master is a lazy dumbass.

just my 2 cents.

Where do you get that the owner is a lazy dumb ass? Why does he need an old fashion beat down? I didn't see anywhere in the original post where he said that the owner doesn't have the time to train a dog. The only thing for sure that I got out of the original post was that the guy didn't want his buddy to train the dog. Without knowing the guy, I would lean more toward him being a smart man instead of a dumb ass. I wonder how many dogs has the OP trained and how many dogs has the pro trained? There must be a reason why he didn't pick his buddy to train the dog? 

Post #768307
 Posted 5/30/2012 8:58:59 AM

Last Login: 8/5/2012 7:29:30 PM
O boys no need to start getting this forum heated up. This post was to give the pro's and cons of what I previously mentioned. My dog is rated number 1 in the county, because every county competition (for the last 4 years) we have had that is waterfowl related shes number 1. No I am not guilty of being jealous that he might have a chance to out do me and my dog. I love the guy like he's my brother and always welcome new challengers. My point is getting to what one poster said. If you have time, working with your own dog is much better then forking out cash for a trainer to do it. You get to have a deeper understanding and bond with your dog. You know their strengths and weaknesses. Everyone can train a dog, its not rocket science. However, I just stated my buddy doesn't have time to train him, but I do. I just didn't get the ideal through my head that he would go back to the same place and same trainer after one dog failed out and became a nitendo dog.

Edited: 5/30/2012 9:04:08 AM by MN_Waterfowler
Post #768308
 Posted 5/30/2012 9:17:10 AM

Last Login: 2/19/2013 9:47:53 AM
Cool! What county are you in?  I've over in Wisconsin and people ask me about tests in the area quite a bit, so if they are open to others, let me know.  I could get some more folks possibly involved.

By the way.  I train my dogs.  Did I mention that?  

Kg

<My new mission in life.....no more gunshy dogs>
Post #768309
 Posted 5/30/2012 11:04:14 AM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
Not sure where to start on this one.  To the original poster, as Pit said having the same breed means nothing. The breeding matters.  Also $1000 to train a dog is nothing. That's only a couple months at best with a decent pro and almost every pro I know wants a dog at least 3 months.

To the poster that thinks anyone who sends a dog away for training is a lazy dumb azz....really? And 15 minutes to train. Training takes a lot longer a day than 15 minutes.  I've sent my dogs away for various reasons. Once when I had a great dog but was new to retrievers. I wanted him to be all he could be and I was over my head. That was before every Tom Dick and Harry had Lardy videos. Here's an old post from here about what happened back then:

The first dog I sent away was for a winter trip. He left in December When I picked him up in April, the trainer had a dog out and I was blown away at what he was doing with him. I thought "I cannot wait until my dog can do that." He put the dog up in the truck and asked me what I thought of my dog now. I about lost it as that was MY dog. He was gone 4 months. When he left he would not sit on a whistle. I had put him through OB and FF myself. The FF was solid but I didn't know squat about an e-collar and really not enough about OB (obviously) at the time . He came back running basic blinds.

So in 4 months, he re-did FF, finished up OB, collar conditioned the dog, ran thru pile work, T-work, pattern blinds, swim-by's, channel blinds, etc. If your dog has the talent, it's amazing what can be accomplished on a winter trip with a good pro. They are being trained on a couple set-ups a day plus yard work EVERY day. Some may take 1 day off a week. They get a ton of work done especially if they are not running trials.

I also sent my current dog away. She had a snafu with CC and CC isn't something you want screwed up. I had planned on sending her for the winter as my schedule from Jan - Apr is crazy. It was late Sept and she left a little early. I did plenty of the water work with her (cheating singles, channel blinds, etc) after she came back so I knew what I was doing training wise then but I knew I couldn't give the time necessary and wanted to get her to her potential.

Below is another post I did a long time ago regarding this subject.....   

If you also have Lardy's stuff and can handle teaching Basic OB stuff and FF, you can be sending the dog off at 7-8 months in a more advanced state of training.  Basic OB and FF really are not that diffficult for a newbie these days with the good training materials and online help from places like this, RTF, etc.  Doing it that way gets more bang for your buck as the trainer starts with CC and is into the fun stuff quicker.

As to the poster asking why he doesn't want to do it himself....

I know what I'm doing and sent my last dog off at 7.5 months when CC was going on. A knowledgeble full time trainer following a Lardy-like program can do in 3-6 months what can take you 1-2 years.  They are getting 2-3 set-ups in a day plus yardwork. You will do 1 thing per day if you are lucky. Life is too busy for most of us. IMHO, they aren't with us very long and I want them finished as soon as possible so I can enjoy running them. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy those training moments when you se the lightbulb go on and I did a good amount of the training on my dog. HOWEVER between 6-12 months of age, their minds are like sponges. They can absorb so much more in training then most understand. Normal people with kids, jobs, and life related stuff to do cannot spend the time on the dog that a full time pro can.

That's just my .02
Post #768312