Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 7/12/2011 2:07:09 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/28/2013 10:10:57 AM
I wanted to throw up a few pics of what we have going this year at our farm in VA.  Its been alot of work but I am happy about where we are and how everything looks this year.  Enjoy.

Impoundment
Area just planted with Jap. Millet and corn behind it.  The blind is on the left of the pic

Natural Area planted with buttonbush and Gobbler sawtooth oaks

Jap Millet around island and moist soil are

Jap Millet planted 7/6/11

Gobbler Sawtooth Oak planted this spring

Smartweed

Buttonbush

Business end of Buttonbush

Barnyard Grass

Looking out from the front left side of blind

Straight out from Blind

Dove Fields
Sunflowers - About 8.5 acres

Sunflowers

Buckwheat - almost 2 acres.  Its a little weedy but i am gonna spray it and then burn it in august.

Hunts
Some hunts from past years in the impounment.  Ignore the date on the pics.

"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark
Post #759145
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/12/2011 2:14:05 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:08:04 PM
great post!

what is the distance from the blind to the other side of the center island and..........

how do you flood the impoundment.

going to be another good season for you!

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #759146
 Posted 7/12/2011 2:24:06 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:31:12 PM
Awesome mix of food sources! 
Lookin' forward to more pics come season!

-God Bless
Post #759147
 Posted 7/14/2011 3:15:27 PM

Swamper- The distance to the back of t he island would be around 35 yards or so.  I have never paced it and I will when i am out there this weekend.  The area is only 2.5 acres but that seems to be  big enough.  Its a only game in town sort of deal as there is alot of lakes and water around but nothing quite like this.  We mostly rely on rain to flood with some pumping from our old irrigation pond.  Its a low area and everything drains into it so that helps.  2 inches of rain will almost fill up the pond around the island.  We dont irrigate any at all anymore but we do keep the pump up and running and get what we can out fo the pond.  We are gonna plug up the drain early this year and hope for a hunt or two in october.  It should only be partially flooded to allow for full flooding for the november season as the area holds most of its birds in november/early december.  I will keep some pics coming.

"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark
Post #759184
 Posted 7/14/2011 10:16:04 PM

that's awesome.  what a great little honeyhole.  some of my best hunts have been in potholes even smaller than yours.

look forward to the pixs!

take care

swamper

Post #759191
 Posted 11/4/2011 10:26:08 AM

First hunt in the impoundment during october season.  Hunted it a second time in octber season and shot 25 - woodies and mallards (my bud has the pics and has yet to send them to me).

Scouted yesterday afternoon and had 2 black ducks, 7 mallards and 2 woodies in there at 4:00 p.m. and hand about 100 woodies come in from then till dark.  Looking good for the opener in two weeks!!!

Post #763059
 Posted 11/9/2011 7:23:03 PM

nice!!  i was wondering how the first hunts woulld go.  we started our second split this past saturday....weather has been in the 60's. for this area that is unreasonably warm.  i haven't hunted my impoundment this second split yet.  been concentrating on my other two spots that are bringing in some mallards here and there. we need some cold weather from the north to get things up to speed!

keep the pixs coming!!

swamper

Post #763289