Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

french creek labradors

Posted 12/1/2009 4:54:07 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/13/2011 6:40:12 PM
Hi all,

I am shopping for a new pup and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything positive or negative about french creek labradors in Pa.

thanks Joe

Post #712012
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/1/2009 5:48:45 PM

Last Login: 12/30/2011 6:15:34 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for; just a pup or a pup and someone to train that pup for you.

I know he believes and trains in the "British style" or standards of training a dog (and there is nothing wrong with that style of training )in which there is No force used on the dog  no e-collar, no healing sticks and  no force-fetch. So If you plan on using any of these training tools then I would suggest you look elsewhere. if not then I suggest that you go down and look over the Facilities and the dogs themselves. And don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, because as much as you are checking him out he is also checking you out.

" a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing" 

www.finalflightretrievers.com

Post #712021
 Posted 12/1/2009 6:31:59 PM

Last Login: 10/19/2011 1:00:29 PM
Agree with FD.

Here's my take: They list about 4-5 stud dogs and several females, but only one dog has a title of HR (HRC). Title aren't everything, but sure shows they can compete under simulated hunting conditions (HRC).

OFA/CERF is listed, but no numbers are shown. A search of the OFA database shows none of these dogs as having OFA clearances. You should want at least hip clearances on the parents of a companion dog.

Their website states that FT breedings have taken all the hunt out of the Labrador. Why badmouth another venue?

I didn't see any pedigrees, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I would like to know about the grandsires etc. One was a Jamie son, so that was good.

Tom Dorroh
Spruce Pine Retrievers
Thomasville, GA

Waffle House Pro Staffer

I read it on the Internet....it has to be true.

Home of:
HR Flying Tiger's Jake, MH  (RIP)
HR Smackwater's Miracle Man, MH
Smackwater's Travelin Man, MH
Fowl Reapers She's Got Moxie, MH

Edited: 12/1/2009 6:33:33 PM by Thomas D

Post #712026
 Posted 12/1/2009 7:23:24 PM

Last Login: 11/28/2014 7:43:38 AM
I know of them and I'm not impressed.  In my humble opinion, just a bunch of hyperbole.  Look at what they've got for all their great training.  Last I looked almost no titled dogs and no dogs with a finished title at all.  Nice grounds, though, but let the results speak for themselves.  I've got to wonder what it takes to become an "Orvis Endorsed" facility, because I've not seen one yet that I thought was worth a bucket of spit.

If you're looking for a pup, visit the classifieds on Retriever Training Forums or Working Retriever Central.  As Tim Price's advice here.  Tim, one of my closest friends, is a wealth of knowledge on bloodlines and Labs worth considering.  I even rely upon him.

Update - I just double checked.  Out of 7 females and 5 males, they have ONE male with a title, but only an HRC Hunting Retriever title.  Whooptie-dooo.  Also, I note that they don't give their rates for training or for puppies.  That always makes me wonder.  I always publicize mine.

In loving memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006 and Belle, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, August 10, 2013.  www.meglynretrievers.com

Edited: 12/2/2009 6:27:34 AM by Don Smith

Post #712038
 Posted 12/2/2009 2:56:34 PM

Last Login: 7/13/2011 6:40:12 PM
essentially. I'm looking for a dog that I can run in nahra events and possibly some field trial work as well as being a good dog in the blind. I know a mighty tall order lol  I noticed that french creek does not run their dogs in events but this doesn't nessesarily mean they are not more then capable of running in competitions.  like the other posts mentions titles do serve as tangible reference to a dogs ability.

this being the main reason I was writing here to see if anyone has gotten a dog from them or know of anyone that did as they may have some insight into the dogs from a practicle point.  I know one thing that in this game you get what you pay for so while I'm willing to spend  for a good dog I want to be as sure as possible that it is in fact a "good" dog

Joe

Post #712210
 Posted 12/2/2009 4:03:48 PM

Last Login: 12/30/2011 6:15:34 PM
jv2439 12/2/2009  I know one thing that in this game you get what you pay for so while I'm willing to spend  for a good dog I want to be as sure as possible that it is in fact a "good" dog Joe

if that statement is true then contact Mary Howley @ Candlewood kennels. she will give you quality pup....http://www.candlewoodkennels.net/

" a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing" 

www.finalflightretrievers.com

Post #712237
 Posted 12/2/2009 4:58:10 PM

Last Login: 10/19/2011 1:00:29 PM
Don't be intimidated by the Candlewood name when calling Mary. She's a class act and know dogs and bloodlines. More than half her dogs go to hunters.

If you ask her to send you pedigrees on the litters she has coming up, she will send you 4-5 quality litters.

Interesting aside:

Mary's ****es are homed with families during the pregnancy and stay with the family after birth. They are socialized and well rounded pups. Weather permitting, at 7-8 weeks of age will be retrieving pigeon wings. I have bought 3, maybe 4 from her thru the years and have never been disappointed. All had OFA Good hips or better.

Tom Dorroh
Spruce Pine Retrievers
Thomasville, GA

Waffle House Pro Staffer

I read it on the Internet....it has to be true.

Home of:
HR Flying Tiger's Jake, MH  (RIP)
HR Smackwater's Miracle Man, MH
Smackwater's Travelin Man, MH
Fowl Reapers She's Got Moxie, MH

Post #712258
 Posted 12/2/2009 5:58:41 PM

Last Login: 11/28/2014 7:43:38 AM
Pay attention to Fowldawg and ThomasD.  They are right.  Also, check the classifieds in Retriever Training Forums and Working Retriever Central, but come back here for advice on anything you find.

If that is what you want a dog for, you do NOT want one from French Creek.  Get a pup from proven hunt test/field trial bloodlines, not from a place that is all hyperbole, in my opinion, and no substance.

In loving memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006 and Belle, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, August 10, 2013.  www.meglynretrievers.com

Post #712271
 Posted 12/2/2009 6:05:35 PM

Last Login: 12/10/2014 6:11:35 AM
You can't go wrong with Candlewoods dogs they are smart and have plenty of gas in the tank when it;s time to go and they can turn it off and come sit by the fireplace too. Shipping is a small price to pay for the right dog.
Post #712276