Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Decoy spreads for small ponds

Posted 2/26/2009 10:42:18 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/30/2011 9:29:07 PM
Ok. Its a 50 Yard by 25 yard pond with a tree coming out on one end and rice grass on the other about 50 square yards to land and set decoys. how should i do it? Where i hunt in Wisconsin there are alot of Wood ducks and mallards. normally i set a hen wood duck with 2 drakes and then the same with mallards but i have another group of 2 hens with 3 drakes for the mallards. but for some reason the mallards just dont want to come down. there is a bigger lake about 200 yards away but it gets hunted so heavily that the woodies just poor in. but the mallards dont even think about coming in. what should i do? my calling is ok because i can get mallards in other places but I dont no what else it could be!

Paddle faster.... I hear banjos

Post #673211
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/26/2009 11:12:08 AM

Last Login: 9/1/2009 11:01:35 AM
You've got a killer setup with that ricegrass. Mallards love ricegrass and so would the woodies. Woodies go where they want to and are hard to call in and manipulate like mallards. You may have too few decoys in there and it's not convincing enough. Perhaps you should put some motion in there, like some full-body mallards with the little trick where you can make em move from side to side. what I would do is put about 18 or so decoys in that pond but don't put it all in the center and DON'T use j-hooks and U shapes. If you're hunting down in the south those ducks know better because they have seen so darn many shapes it's not even funny. Use some mallards in the ricegrass and put em right in that ricegrass. Full-bodies may come in handy there. Put a good number near the edge of the water as well and scatter some out in the center of the pond and make it look like there are ducks there and they are just eatin up the ricegrass. Put a few woodies away from the mallards and paired up in the ricegrass and then a few out in the water. Use a variety and read the birds. If they flare, use less or try more. You just have to read the birds from day to day. You may want to use some confidence decoys as well. Pintails, woodies, ring-necks, and coots and herrons can work well. But you do the best with what you have and use your resources. Make it look welcoming and safe because those ducks are looking for another hole like the one you don't go to with all the hunters. make it feel warm and cozy and don't use aggressive calling. Be quiet and smooth.

It's the vision of flooded timber, a sky full of ducks, and a strap full of greenheads that makes your day worth living.
Post #673216
 Posted 2/26/2009 11:19:34 AM

Thanks man I never thought to use my mojo and my herion decoys. but ya i think im going to put more decoys down and ya the j or u shape i never use because that is old timers stuff

:w00t:

Post #673219
 Posted 2/26/2009 11:25:57 AM

Last Login: 2/14/2011 8:10:36 AM
duckbuster got it pretty good there. id set a couple full body feeder shells on motion stakes right up there in the rice. then id say rig some of your floaters on a jerk string and get the water moving in there. it wont take much since its such a small hole but once you get all those ripples bouncing everywhere it should look incredible. and just like he said be easy with your call.

Hunting ducks on public land in SC... definitely a round peg/square hole scenario.

Post #673222
 Posted 2/26/2009 12:02:29 PM

K good. i dont call to much but im sure cutting down some more wont hurt any. alltho i dont have any full blodies

Post #673234
 Posted 2/26/2009 12:09:21 PM

where would i want to sit? rice grass or fallen tree

Post #673237
 Posted 2/26/2009 12:11:25 PM

Last Login: 2/14/2011 8:10:36 AM
thats alright. just take some of your floaters and kinda push them into the bank right next to the rice. they'll look like sleepers.

i had a lot of success with that before i bought my full bodies.

Hunting ducks on public land in SC... definitely a round peg/square hole scenario.

Post #673238
 Posted 2/26/2009 1:01:34 PM

Last Login: 11/2/2012 11:35:22 AM
i would say use more decoys. and with that setup, you dont even have to leave a kill hole open, because the ponds to small and closed in. i would sit closer to the fallen tree for woodies and rice for mallards. also i did this this year looking for improvement. i wanted to know exactly what shape ducks sat in. i found that they mostly just sit anywhere and everywhere, kind of like a checkerboard setup. one duck every couple feet, and everywhere. go to the part of DU's site and look at some pictures, you'll find what i mean. also the mojo would work out great and i would even use a couple jerk coards. some ducks love being called at and others don't, so do what is working. you may be sticking out even, you could try layouts on the bank.

-SMOKE EM IF YA GOT EM

Post #673247
 Posted 3/2/2009 11:02:28 AM

Last Login: 3/24/2012 10:33:08 AM
I think these guys have hit the nail on the head. I mostly hunt smaller ponds and tight little water holes. I started using my mojo last year which def brought in a few more birds and anytime I hunt one of my ponds I always put out at least on of my heron decoys a good distance from the decoys but I just scatter the floaters out on the water. I have found the here in NC where I hunt, the tighter I have the spread the fewer ducks I have look or even come in.......I got one of the mojo floaters last year and I used that and I am still trying to decide if that helped or hurt but it was movement which you MUST have. I found that if I don't have any motion, then I don't have any birds.......

Thats my $.02 worth now who is going to give me my $.01 change?

Bull Dawg
"Whack Um and Stack Um..."...............

"We do not stop playing b/c we are old; We grow old b/c we stop playing."

Post #673780