Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Training table plans

Posted 5/20/2008 1:28:48 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/12/2013 12:37:44 PM
Good afternoon guys.

In preparation for purchasing my lab later this year, I would like to build a training table with ramps on each side.  I know that I will hear from some that this table is not necessary when it comes time to condition retrieve the dog but I am a first time trainer and I hope to have as much control as possible during the process.  Currently, I do not plan to toe hitch...but I do plan to use Don's special tool for the ear pinch...how much are you selling them for these days Don? $50-$60?  Worth every cent..... :)

I searched past threads for schematics with no success.

Thanks!

Chubster

Chubster

"I had not taken this majestic beast. He was given to me.  I am merely a piece of the puzzle."  - Ted Nugent

Post #628786
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/20/2008 1:52:40 PM

Last Login: 9/16/2014 4:20:25 PM
Actually, with the last 4 that I force fetched, all during the same period, I just used the flat of my thumb or my thumbnail for the most part.  Admittedly, whether or not to use a table is an individual choice, but I just think it's a lot of work building it and expense that is not necessary.  If obedience is stable, you can have just as much control with the dog sitting next to you on the ground.  Plus, a table only has limited application.  Once they are picking up off the table, you are going to have to go to ground and you'll probably have to repeat steps with this new "environment."  I've never used a table.  Off and on I've used the carpeted tailgate of my truck, but that was only when my back was bothering me.  Sitting on a stool or bucket next to pup is just as easy.

In loving memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006 and Belle, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, August 10, 2013.  www.meglynretrievers.com
Post #628788
 Posted 5/20/2008 3:24:27 PM

Last Login: 10/20/2014 9:17:19 PM
Chubster, I'm with Don on this one. I've never used a table and honestly do not see the need for one. Assuming you're going to follow the programs we suggest, the pups OB should be solid before heading to FF. So starting in the garage on the floor is perfect. I actually believe it's easier to control the collar and to pinch the ear with the dog the floor.
Post #628796
 Posted 5/20/2008 3:50:33 PM

Tim, Don:

Thanks guys...I guess, as a newbie, I was thinking that the table might offer me a small amount of additional control over the dog that might be material to a new trainer when FFing.  Maybe the table was more for MY confidence than for material control of the dog....I was going to build two: one for outside and a slightly smaller one for the garage or basement....

I agree that if OB is rock solid, why deal with the transition from table to ground...

Regards,

Chubster

Chubster

"I had not taken this majestic beast. He was given to me.  I am merely a piece of the puzzle."  - Ted Nugent

Post #628798
 Posted 5/20/2008 6:28:10 PM

Last Login: 9/14/2008 3:29:54 PM
Well I have just started force fetching my dog and its my first one so my advice is definitly not as good as others.  But i am just doing it on the ground in my garage and things are going incredibly well.  Much better than expected just make sure obidience is secure.
Post #628803
 Posted 5/20/2008 9:51:31 PM

Last Login: 9/16/2014 4:20:25 PM
Chubster 5/20/2008

I was going to build two

Wow!  Now, take that money that you're going to save and buy yourself a couple of wingers and electronics for them.

In loving memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006 and Belle, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, August 10, 2013.  www.meglynretrievers.com
Post #628855
 Posted 5/20/2008 10:47:03 PM

Last Login: 5/1/2010 11:34:20 PM
Most of the folks I know that FF don't use a table either.  Alot of the bird dog folks still use the table (and the toe pinch with all the pulleys and crap).  It seems to work better.  I seem to have a better response when I have a set aside area for FF (an area where I teach FF only and nothing else).  May just be the "placebo" effect for me, but FF can get pretty traumatic, and it seems to limit the "anxious" feeling to just that area.

www.dixielandhrc.com
info@dixielandhrc.com
Post #628864
 Posted 5/20/2008 11:17:18 PM

Don Smith 5/20/2008
Chubster 5/20/2008

I was going to build two

Wow!  Now, take that money that you're going to save and buy yourself a couple of wingers and electronics for them.

I fugured a couple of 2x4's and plywood wouldn't cost that much, Don.

I'm going to tell the wife that the money I've saved talking to you guys will afford me a Bumper Boy Yardman Pro 12!;)

Chubster

Chubster

Post #628867
 Posted 5/21/2008 8:11:31 AM

Last Login: 2/19/2013 9:47:53 AM
I guess I don't see why FF should be traumatic. If done properly the dog shouldn't ever feel major pain at any time to make the experience traumatic. A minor discomfort, be it a toe hitch or an ear pinch, is all this is required.

I personally use a table. It's been 100% effective and the dogs jump right up to do their work, wagging their tails with their ears perked forward. No trauma or bad association at all. By no means am I knocking anyone who doesn't use a table, it's just that to associate the word "traumatic" makes me a bit uncomfortable....seems to me if it's such a bad association for some, then they should learn a new method, use way less pressure, or slow down.

Just my thoughts. But I am more of a behaviorist trainer than a force trainer.

Kg

<My new mission in life.....no more gunshy dogs>
Post #628878
 Posted 5/21/2008 8:33:59 AM

Last Login: 10/20/2014 9:17:19 PM
kghops 5/21/2008
I guess I don't see why FF should be traumatic. If done properly the dog shouldn't ever feel major pain at any time to make the experience traumatic. A minor discomfort, be it a toe hitch or an ear pinch, is all this is required.

I personally use a table. It's been 100% effective and the dogs jump right up to do their work, wagging their tails with their ears perked forward. No trauma or bad association at all. By no means am I knocking anyone who doesn't use a table, it's just that to associate the word "traumatic" makes me a bit uncomfortable....seems to me if it's such a bad association for some, then they should learn a new method, use way less pressure, or slow down.

Just my thoughts. But I am more of a behaviorist trainer than a force trainer. Kg

I agree. In the old days FF was more harsh. When I went thru it last time, I called my buddy who was a pro to discuss some things. The changes he advised made things fast paced (not the overall time line but literally making it fun for the dog by moving fast during a session), and overall it was way more enjoyable. The concept isn't to beat down the dog and show them who is boss. It's to teach them how to turn off pressure which is the foundation for every Carr based training program out there. In the old days it was turn up the pressure until the dog caved.  Not any longer.

Post #628879