Which shotshells are most effective at any range.

http://ut.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic775773.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By The Wigeon - 3/15/2014 12:56:14 PM
I see discussions every month on the best shotshell loads for waterfowl hunting.  This is a no-brainer.

The offering by Remington of "HEVI-SHOT" in all (6's to 2"s) was the best shot shell invented. (Ever!)

A #6 heavy shot shell traveling at 1450 feet per second, had more knock down power, than a #2 lead

shotshell from any of the present loadings at any distance, period.

Only those hunters that have purchased and fired those rounds, will agree with this statement.

It was absolutely the best shotshell round ever developed!  For some reason; it was taken off of the market.

I have seen and shot the "new" "hevi shot", but it is not the same.. It is still better than any alternative loading.

UMC or Remington should bring back this loading. I don't care if your bullets are round or square, if your speed is 1550

per second or 1225, those shells had more knock down power and retained speed, than anything on the market; period!!

I am down to about 7 boxes and I would like something offered that is "as good as" replacements.

Ed Alexander/ Central Oklahoma

By duckman57 - 3/15/2014 4:55:17 PM
I've been a shotshell handloader for 40+ years and have seen a lot of things come and go.  I learned about high muzzle velocity steelshot WAY before anyone ever heard of Kent Faststeel or any of that.  Bismuth #5 is my fave for ducks, but the hardest hitting shells I ever loaded were Hevi-Shot in 4, 6, and even 7 1/2 at 1495 fps (I had my own chrono then).  At all ranges it swatted ducks out of the sky like nothing else ever including the #2 lead you mentioned.  My only kick with Hevi-Shot is it shoots super tight and I don't shoot often enough anymore to feel comfortable hitting with it.  Bismuth gives me some spread to a pattern.  Thanks for posting.  It's refreshing to know there are folks out there who have learned some of the same stuff and agree with me.
By NJ217bands - 3/16/2014 1:04:41 PM
I use Kent Tungsten Matrix very effectively.