first shotgun... purchase suggestions?

http://me.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic775169.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By TeeBatter - 12/16/2013 8:30:35 PM
i'm new to duck hunting, and shotguns in general.  i'm looking to purchase my first shotgun.  looking for suggestions for a good entry-level shotgun probably in the $700-$900 range.  I appreciate any and all advice!
By muddymarshboy - 12/17/2013 12:21:16 PM
Well Tee------The most important thing in choosing a shotgun is that your eye views the top of the barrel as flat & lines up straight with the front bead when shouldered properly. That said, then it needs to feel right to you in your hands---you need to have confidence in it. For myself, reliability is very important in a duck gun.
In my opinion, pumps from Remington, Benelli & Browning are great chooses, & I like the auto's that are bolt blow back cycled like Benelli, Stoeger, and the new Browning A5. Good luck.
By U.P.Forester - 12/19/2013 8:27:02 AM
I am in the same boat as you.  I am looking for a semi-auto in the same price range.  I have been doing lots of research and have been going to the gun shop and picking up a few guns.  I am about 95% sure I will be getting a Franchi Affinity.  I have heard nothing but good things about the gun and when I went to the store and held one I knew that it was the gun for me.  The Franchi is made in Benelli factory so you are pretty much getting a benelli without the large price tag.
By TeeBatter - 12/20/2013 2:34:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. i will definitely be taking a look at the affinity
By flannel - 12/21/2013 9:13:09 PM
I would seriously consider a Browning Silver and the Versa Max ( sportsman is in your price range) as I own both and have been highly impressed with them. They will also shoot with much less recoil snd will cycle light target loads which inertia guns will not.
By CoreyB - 1/27/2014 10:13:19 PM
Hey man if you havent got you a shotgun yet go buy your a Benelli Nova Pump action! i freaking love mine! shoots any shells you want to shoot and i have dropped mine in water pulled it out still worked without a single problem! i have went long times without cleaning it on purpose to try to get it to jam or something.. and i cant get the gun to mess up lol! great gun for the money its around $500-$600
By 4040 - 1/28/2014 9:38:12 AM
Lots of opinions. But, I will offer mine anyway. Browning Silver/ Gold, Winchester SX2/ SX3 (Made by FN, same gun as Browning). I have owned lots of shotguns, and when I was looking to change up to an autoloader for ducks I asked my father (a gun dealer) to order me a new A5. Basically, he said no, and ordered me a Winchester Super X 3 instead. I am very happy with this gun. I have put it through the mill . . . and it has never failed me. And, you don't feel much of the recoil.   
By tallman2 - 1/28/2014 9:43:44 AM
I bought a VersaMax this season and has worked great, no issues...with that being said I don't know if I would say its a entry level gun. I would say start with an 870 or something similar that works well for you, many places have some good use guns that will not break the bank and leave some money for other items for hunting...if you need them as well.
By Jmanson_4 - 1/28/2014 2:02:59 PM
Those are all good recommendations. But if you don't want to pay the high dollar and end up babying that shotgun more than using it. I would recommend a Stoeger M3000. It is Benelli sister company and has almost all the same quality as the main Benelli brand. They are built to be beaten out of. I've dropped mine in mud, water, and its been frozen, and it still shoots every time. The M3000 is a 3 inch chamber semi auto but if you feel the need to shoot 3 1/2 then get the M3500. Stoeger is the way to go.

Hope you enjoy what ever you get,
Justin Manson
Beaver Creek Game Calls
Puddle Set Decoy Anchors
By jcropsey - 3/4/2014 9:49:34 PM
Guess all o' you guys are righties:P  If you're a lefty, you'll pay big money not to be ejecting shells in front of your nose for most guns:angry:  Well, I don't mind so much if they're Federals, they smell soo goood:exclamation:  One cheap alternative that comes to mind is the old Ithaca model 37:D  It ejects underneath towards your feet...Used, but good condition about $300.00:satisfied:  Go for a modified choke, if it's fixed, so you can use steel shot;)  Inside of the barrel is important to be clean and bright, doesn't matter if the bluing is warn off or there's exterior surface rust since you'll want to parkerize the barrel so you don't have to worry about the nice bluing getting banged up in the boat, or rusting, or shining in the sun to flare a flock o' ducks:blink:  Parkerizing is something like $125.  With Ithaca here and then gone again, I don't know if there's still some after market parkerized barrels with 3" chambers that'll fit Ithaca's multichoke, which, btw, is the same threading and length as the Remchoke:laugh:  New barrels might run you $175.  Ithaca made the 37 in a deerslayer model with 3" chambers and a rifled slug barrel:Whistling:  Maybe get one cheap enough and buy the new barrels:laugh:
By MNwaterfowler98 - 3/6/2014 9:40:19 PM
Entry level gun, nothing beter or more reliable than a good old remington 870. If i had $900-$950 to spend I would go with another winchester Sx3. i have put mine through some rough stuff, from -20 goose hunting to 80 degrees shoting doves with 2 3/4in shells, it hasnt skipped a beat!