Longlines for decoys

http://de.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic775117.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Hassan - 12/11/2013 8:50:11 PM
I've got a Stealth boat and was thinking I might get into a situation in which I need to longline my decoys. The water depth varies quite a bit, from 1' to possibly 15', and I'm looking for a solution to floating some diver decoys without having to get 20' lines on each decoy. Longlines seemed to be the way to go but I'm not sure if I should buy a rig (looking at Doctari and Rig Em Right) or make my own. Anyone have any insight into longlines? Thanks in advance for your help.
By duckheadone - 7/17/2014 8:55:28 AM
What is your current or tide?  If you are in a pond or lake should not be a problem.  The wind may move them around to look natural  on flowing water, I have found long lines tend to be just that long lines of decoys that don't look natural.  I have gone to using a series of parralel long lines to produce the desired group setting.  I use lines that are 100 to 150 feet long  with anchors on both ends.  Decoys have 4 foot lines with a clip on each to attach to the main long line.  I do put a 2 oz barrel sinker on each to send the line straight down and not be seen.  Hope this helps. Duckhead
By lew - 8/11/2014 9:38:43 PM
I agree with the above a line of decoys does not look natural, you could use a couple lines. I buy trot lines, they have the molded beads to clip your decoys on and in the summer you can use them to fish with. Multi tasking at it best.
By Alex Hilburn - 8/11/2014 10:37:47 PM
I just started using long lines last season, so I'm not going to claim to know much.  These other guys seem to know what they are talking about.  For mine, I bought parachute cord.  Every foot or so I have a clip that can just quickly attach a decoy when I'm putting out my spread.  I'm hunting a river with fairly decent current, so I'll just anchor one end and let the other end float.  If you've got a dog, however, anchor both ends.  Use a couple lines...I use 3.  Then have a few decoys with their own lines and weights to mix in and break up the uniformity.  I feel like I did okay this way last season!