Spread tips for river.

http://de.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic774853.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Double D - 11/21/2013 8:22:30 PM
My in-laws have a nice place on the river in the known flyway for this area. I have minimal experience with waterfowl. What is the best way to set up my decoys. The fast current of the river is out furthest from the blind. Slack water right in tight with the bottom end of an island about twenty yards from the blind. There is a slough that runs back upstreamand inland on the near side of the island closest to the blind. All I have is a few goose floaters, about five dozen mallard floaters (not butt ups or feeders). Looking for advice please. 
By huntorgather - 11/22/2013 11:06:49 AM
I can't help until I see it myself, preferably while holding a shotgun during the season.

Kidding aside, your location sounds great if there are ducks around.

A few geese decoys off the island, some mallards at the entrance to the slough, and a few pairs of duck decoys just down stream near your side of the river.

A dozen mallards and half dozen geese decoys ought to do the trick. I call it the triangle. Birds should naturally go for the slack water.

Still be willing to adjust your spread. Even during the day your are hunting if they don't cooperate to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps and good luck
By Leaky-NY - 7/10/2014 4:43:57 PM
Is this a tidal river or current river? That can make a difference. I hunt the Hudson here in NY and it depends on the changes of water flow and the blind. Best thing is be flexible and change the setup as you need. Also pay attention to the wind at your blind location. Good Luck and happy hunting.

Leaky
By ESutter - 7/11/2014 1:42:30 PM
For a few years now we've hunted a spot that sounds very similar and we've done quite well...more ducks than geese.

We've put the majority of the blocks in two groups directly in front of the blind with a thinner line winding 10 yards or so upstream. The goose deeks have always gone on the downwind side of things as our predominant wind typically runs with the current.

Good luck.