Sneak up? Or wait?

http://www.ducksunlimited.com/news-media/messageboards/Topic774749.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By DoubleShotBanks - 11/13/2013 10:51:23 PM
Hello,
We are planning a hunt on a gravel pit we hunt a lot. There is about 200 geese sitting on it right now, and we usually see ducks early (right at shooting time)

Debating on our options

1: Sneak up and wait to shoot and try to get a few geese, then set up and hope some come back and hope to shoot ducks

2: Go out and set up decoys scaring the geese and hoping they come back because they were not actually shot at, and then we should see ducks because it will be early and we will have decoys

3: Wait till the geese leave, set up decoys and then get them when they come back from feeding, 
this seems like the one that has the best odds, but im worried if we wait we will not see ducks because they usually show up early.

Just give your 2 cents
Isaac and Banks
By Trackmyer - 11/14/2013 7:10:25 PM
I do your "option 2" on a regular basis.
Go in as quiet as possible, use either a small headlamp or moonlight if sky is clear to set up decoys.
Get decoys out, retreat to your shooting area and wait for sunrise.

We usually spook half or more of the geese. But some just fly around and come back when were done setting out the spread.  But either way, without shots fired your ducks should come in on schedule.

Good luck, and post up some pics if your successful. 
By DoubleShotBanks - 11/14/2013 8:55:38 PM
Trackmyer (11/14/2013)
I do your "option 2" on a regular basis.
Go in as quiet as possible, use either a small headlamp or moonlight if sky is clear to set up decoys.
Get decoys out, retreat to your shooting area and wait for sunrise.

We usually spook half or more of the geese. But some just fly around and come back when were done setting out the spread.  But either way, without shots fired your ducks should come in on schedule.

Good luck, and post up some pics if your successful. 

Thats what we have done most this year, sometimes we wont see birds on the water so we will drive up and be loud and noisy but they only fly when it gets light enough to see us.
I will have gopro footage if we do good
Isaac and Banks