dont be a dick dog owner

http://www.la.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic772028.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By BDhunter - 2/14/2013 6:21:19 PM
dont be a dick dog owner.if your hunting dog dont turn out dont take its collar off and dump it in the marsh for me to find.if you dont want to keep it then give the dog a chance at having a good home with someone or give it to human society.and guys if you out hunting and find a dog dont just let it be out there take to a shelter and give it a chance.i was unable to keep the one i fund due to the fact that i have 2 labs already.one i bout to train and she didnt work out i kept her none the less and i love her.my dad taken up the challenge of training her.and the last owner really did a number on her,but all the dog trainer say she can be fixed and thats what were trying to due.been trying for months to find owner with flyers and no response.we already have  hard time with animal rights people we dont need to make them right.and if the guy reads this who left a yellow lab female dog in shaw marsh beaver dam wisconsin.your an asshole!i hope i never run into you!
By duckman57 - 2/14/2013 6:31:33 PM
You hit a sore spot with that!  I lived near a US hwy just outside a city limits for most of my life and can't remember how many dumped pets found their way to my door.  If we didn't keep them we took them to the animal shelter and made a donation.  I'll quit before I say all the ugly things I'm thinking about people who throw away animals.  Thanks for bringing this up!
By BDhunter - 2/14/2013 8:27:21 PM
ya i try my best to not use sertain talk ,but it been boiling in me for a while.was just over by my dads the other day who has the dog now and it such a friendly loving dog hyper thow but friendly she a find companion either way.hopfully my father turns her into a fine hunting dog and i can post that some guys loss was an other gain ,and make the guys that do this stuff really think.
By BDhunter - 2/14/2013 8:29:42 PM
at least there other that care to do somthing.your one of the good ones duckman
By magic38 - 2/14/2013 8:59:36 PM
We took in a golden retriever that a duck hunter dumped on our rd that had a boat ramp on it. No one ever came for her we named her ginger. we had black lab named sadie. and for the next 13 yrs they were a great hunting team. Both always hunted together.  Magic38
By flannel - 2/15/2013 2:24:05 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we could track down the "dumpers" and drop them off in some foreign location with no ability to return home or find their way to civilization? It would seem fitting to me and I'd have no problem watching it happen.
By duckman57 - 2/15/2013 7:10:05 PM
flannel, I'm all for that!!!  BD, thanks.  I don't own any hunting dogs now, but the ones we have are from the shelter.
By Amish Amy - 2/16/2013 4:43:18 PM
I like that Flannel.. Maybe somehwere with lots of sand and goats.. Cant imagine doing that to a dog
By sprigsss - 9/30/2013 5:45:59 PM
Went dove hunting yesterday and while driving 1  mile stretch of country road between two of our sections I notice a red Nissan sitting sideways in the road. 

When I get close I see the lady running to her pickup and then hauling tail out of there.  Then out of the brush comes running a dog with a tennis ball in his mouth.  That dog chased after that pickup for about 3/4 of a mile until I could no longer see them. 

Just really pathetic.
By BDhunter - 10/4/2013 6:50:06 PM
all man that just brought a bad feeling in my gut that's just horrible.

I think I would of chased that person down I would of exchanged words for sure.
By BDhunter - 10/4/2013 6:52:20 PM
flannel (2/15/2013)
Wouldn't it be great if we could track down the "dumpers" and drop them off in some foreign location with no ability to return home or find their way to civilization? It would seem fitting to me and I'd have no problem watching it happen.

ya lets drop them of in the middle east and see what type of help they get
By BDhunter - 10/4/2013 7:01:25 PM
just don't get whats so hard to take it to a shelter or a add free dog.
By jjsmith - 10/9/2013 11:12:17 AM
sprigsss (9/30/2013)
Went dove hunting yesterday and while driving 1  mile stretch of country road between two of our sections I notice a red Nissan sitting sideways in the road. 

When I get close I see the lady running to her pickup and then hauling tail out of there.  Then out of the brush comes running a dog with a tennis ball in his mouth.  That dog chased after that pickup for about 3/4 of a mile until I could no longer see them. 

Just really pathetic.

This made me pretty sad. That poor dog! Some people don't realize that dogs have emotions like humans do. If anyone doubts that then they aren't true dog owners. I hope you picked the dog up or at least called someone. 
By derus96 - 10/11/2013 7:12:15 AM
Yeah I agree with all of you. Just sickens me to think that people just dump their dogs. I got 3 at home all rescues, a 7 year old German Shep mix, a 3 month old German Shep and the biggest pain in the butt mutt mix (German Short hair, great dane, dalmatian, and probably plenty of other things we can't visually recognize)  on the planet. Instead of getting our most recent German Shep I was looking at getting a dog for duck hunting. But I ended up taking my wife to the local shelter with me and she fell in love with that pup and that was the end of that. 

Don't have a hunting dog now but every dog needs a good home, and you can always trick your hunting buddies into retrieving your birds for you.
By MossyOakMan83 - 10/12/2013 9:21:32 AM
I can't believe that some people would do that, I'm a newer hunter of about 4 years and I've never seen it; but at least now I know its something to look for while I'm out there.
By jaalex - 10/21/2013 9:24:33 AM
I wish I would never have read this post because I didn't know people actually did this. I have trained and raised my dog and I could not imagine dropping my dog off because it didn't turn out the way I thought it suppose to. we all take a chance when we get a pup on knowing if its going have that drive or what takes to hunt.  If my dog was not able to hunt or just didn't have what it takes then he would still have a long life with me and the family. that would be like taking my kid out and dropping him off because he didn't sign a contract to play in the mlb or some pro sport.

My dog is not prefect but I enjoy him out there with me even if we are not killing anything or I have go get my own ducks. this makes me sick thinking about it.  This is a bond with the dog you hunt with and train that no one will ever understand till you do it.
By Flyswatter - 11/26/2013 7:26:29 PM
Me too jaalex! The one about the red truck and the poor dog trying to chase her down is heart breaking! I have a 4 year old Black Lab / Golden mix (AKA: Goldador) that loves to hunt. She loves to retrieve and play. I made a mistake by not introducing her to gun shots early enough and shes a bit gunshy. While she loves to go in the field and hunt with me, she'll run 25 yards away at a gun shot. That's her only problem, and it's a biggie, but I love her so much that it's ok with me if all we ever do is walk the fields and if she heads out at the shot. We always join back up and we go home. I don't need to kill as much as I need my Allie. Those that dispose of a dog should be rendered sterile and not allowed to propagate. They should be exiled to a cliff high in the Rockies and not allowed to enter civilization ever again. I can't adequately express how furious I am, I want VERY bad things to happen to dog abusers and for that I feel shame.