MY Pup has OCD Joint Disorder

http://www.ducksunlimited.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic770987.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Chrisk690 - 11/16/2012 12:59:28 PM
I have an 8 month old Lab that was just diagnosed with OCD (Osteochondritis Dissecans) in the Shoulder and rear hawks. About 2 months ago he began showing lameness in his back legs. I had one vet tell me it was a pulled muscle after hip x-rays came back negative for hip dysplasia. I eventually got him into an orthopedic vet that confirmed the above diagnosis. They tell me that working him too much will result in very early developement of arthritis...He is now on anti inflamatory and pain meds....my vet suggested letting him be a dog and managing his pain with meds...a trainer told me he would not reccomend spending money or serious time on him for hunting as it is possible he will be crippled by the time he is 3-4....Now my delima.....

Do I let him be a dog and continue training for "casual"-hunting treating him with pain meds before and after? If so does anyone have experience with this disease and its affect on active dogs? or do I pass him on to some one with room for him to loaf around and take it easy hopefully buying some time before the pain sets in long term?..replacing him with a new pup? (puppy hell),,,,,,,,,

This is my first year duck hunting and I am very excited to be a part of this group. Thanks for your help.
By Mallard Mugger - 11/19/2012 10:33:51 AM
Sorry to hear that Chris for the dog and you.  I don't have any experience with it.  I wish you the best.