How to call

http://tn.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic770519.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MissouriGreenhead - 10/11/2012 6:28:11 PM
What are some pointer on calling. I've been hunting for awhile but just now starting to get into the calls. Whats some advice and whats the best way to call?
By pganoe - 10/11/2012 8:42:10 PM
I was in the same boat last year. Do some searches on YouTube you'll find some good videos with tips on how to call and different situations to use calls. Ducks Unlimited even has a few ;)
By DukCallin11 - 11/7/2012 6:41:26 PM
Practice Practice Practice!!!! It takes alot of patience when first starting. But stick with it! Like pganoe said look them up and listen.. watch some hunting videos, and focus on when they call and when they stop to let the birds make there decision!

Most important pointer, Dont overdue it!! Less calling is better!!
By Hunter Dave - 12/21/2012 6:58:36 PM
If you have a smartphone or tablet you can download some apps that help you learn. You can take them with you and practice for a few minutes before heading to your blind.

Where abouts are you in MO?
By Barrett - 12/24/2012 3:29:41 PM
Get Zink's Waterfowl University DVD with the Zink power hen 2 which is a double reed call. It is very forgiving and easy to learn off of. The DVD on the other hand will teach you the basic's of how a call works and how to do a feeding call, quack, etc...

PS: record your self and play back...You will think you sound great, but when you play back you will find out you sound like a dying elk... Listen and tweak your air flow, lip placement, etc... You will laugh at your self at first but stick with it. It is like riding a bike.
By Fla. Quacker - 8/17/2013 7:25:06 PM
First season out on last day of season. Had purchased a wood duck call. Don,t know if I had it down or not, but seemed to baffle my dogs at home. Had small group of 3 pintail fly by, rare I've heard in Fla. Don,t know why, but they returned with what I thought was a pathetic call. Not once, but 3 times until they were in range. Got two. Little luck on the call and the draw I guess. 
By CommanderNoob - 9/26/2013 4:48:52 PM
Barrett (12/24/2012)
Get Zink's Waterfowl University DVD with the Zink power hen 2 which is a double reed call. It is very forgiving and easy to learn off of. The DVD on the other hand will teach you the basic's of how a call works and how to do a feeding call, quack, etc...

PS: record your self and play back...You will think you sound great, but when you play back you will find out you sound like a dying elk... Listen and tweak your air flow, lip placement, etc... You will laugh at your self at first but stick with it. It is like riding a bike.

I have actually felt the opposite.  When I listen to myself call I think it sounds or but could be better, but when I record myself and listen to playback it sounds like what I listen to on YouTube.  So I'm not too upset.
By NVJoe - 11/22/2013 6:23:32 PM
In my town we have a small pond. When I see ducks out I will go out and listen to them and try to mimic the sounds.
By DeadLakeHunter - 11/26/2013 7:36:05 AM
What I havd learned in the years is get  the perfect hail call and only call at wing tips and tail feathers. If you call when they are flying there is a good chance they will see you. I use the feeder call to but rarely and that just if there is nothing flying and I want to get the birds off the water to check my deeks. Also het a whistle it workd great and is really easy to learn.
By Waterfowl Way - 10/14/2014 9:12:00 AM
I have learned that less is more early in the season.  A feeding call and a simple Quack has worked for me very well.  If you are using decoys you are just trying to get the Ducks to notice them.  As they are commited to your spread "shut up" let them do their thing. then takem