What am I doing wrong?

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic766727.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By SIquackhead - 2/8/2012 8:51:14 PM
Guys I need your help. I have noticed that my biggest problem when I am duck hunting is that I cannot get ducks to land. I will see a flock and call at them with a subtle greeting, or sometimes a louder one when its windy and they will come straight to me and begin circling me. The problem is this, they will circle me three or four times and then just fly off like they have lost interest.  only work them with feeder calls and quacks when they are circling me and wont get too happy on the call. They arent flying off like they are scared, but like they have just lost interest or forgot that I was calling at them. What does it sound like Im doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
By ESutter - 2/8/2012 8:56:19 PM
Could be a whole list of things...but to start, here are some ideas that may help.
-If you're setting up your decoys in a similar fashion each hunt, it may be worth switching it up and trying something new to see what the birds in your area like (for instance, a larger landing area might help)
-Do you use a jerk cord? If not, once birds start to circle, a bunch of decoys sitting motionless on the water begin to look real suspicious.
-Try calling less.  If the birds are interested enough to get that close, you might not want to give them any reason to change their mind.

It sounds like the birds aren't flaring because you've spooked them, so you should be good there. It sounds to me like it's in the details. Good luck!
By SIquackhead - 2/8/2012 9:12:52 PM
Thanks a lot! Ill keep a note of that!
By QuackHead 96 - 2/9/2012 7:50:20 PM
Sutter said it right. Definitely put ripples on the water. When the ducks get ready to finish, don't hit them hard...that will bounce them back up. Switch to different call. Hope this info helps!!
Ben
By JTFrisque - 2/11/2012 2:22:00 PM
Another thing to think about is make sure your covered up well and not moving around a lot. Ducks have really good eye sight and can see your white face poking out looking for em. Like the other guys said match up your spread how you see birds sitting on the water and if you call the birds and they start coming lay off the call you've already done your job, if they turn away again hit em with another come back.
By whackem en stackem - 2/15/2012 9:50:47 AM
Most likely i would bet that its camoflauge..is everything covered, including hands, face, boat, is the dog hidden? Everything needs to be covered and well hidden. Especially with mallards. Hope this helps.
By Bandedjohn81 - 2/22/2012 1:49:07 PM
I am not a huge fan of robo ducks. But they do have a time and place. Sometimes a single Mojo or baby Mojo is all you need. Its a little bit of an investment but it might be all the movement you need to catch their eye and make them commit. If you are using a smaller spread then opt for the remote on the mojo and give it a quick 3-4 second spin once the ducks are within 80 yards or so. And last but not least hold still and stay covered. If you ever look out the window of a plane as it is landing you can see that its not hard to pick out small details. And we have 1/10 of the eyesight of waterfowl. They will see you if your not well covered.Good luck in 2012. Teal season is only 6 months 22 days away.
By Amish Amy - 4/13/2012 6:51:46 PM
cover up, dont move and when they circle within range shoot em!
By Jeff - Mars - 4/15/2012 1:50:53 PM
I agree I have seen a night and day difference with  a mojo even with the cheapest of camo.  In college we used old OD green from the army surplus for camo and put our money into a mojo. It is almost like their attention is mainly focused on the mojo.  This happens more often than you would think but make sure the mojo is facing in the right wind direction other wise it's useless.  This along with a pull string - take 'em down....
By MN_Waterfowler - 5/24/2012 1:49:39 PM
Staying hidden is key. Sometimes they will circle like that and get 40 yards up and flare off. However, if your confident that they are being scared away. Is the pockets big enough for them to land it according to the wind? I put my decoys in family groups 15 yards difference in each group. I also use a wind activated robo duck. I would also continue to call "not agressive" until your ready to shoot. Like the others, its hard for us to tell since were not there and didn't see what happened.
By Kent Contreras - 5/30/2012 12:20:20 AM
Excellent tips to heed for sure. Sounds like the hide and being still may be the biggest part of the birds not finishing. 
Attention to details would be next, such as movement of decoys by a jerk string - make as many ripples as you can as they circle away and stop pulling the cord when they quarter back for another pass. Birds will pick up on the string movement all the way back to the blind.
 Are you on a pond, lake or river? If your on a river - check your decoy cords for vegetation wrapped around them - clean them up every so often, if your on still/clear water your decoy cord may be showing - try using the clear cord.
If birds are working your spread don't call or if you do, just do a single lonesome hen quack here and there, if the birds start to go away - hit them with a 5-7 quack sequence to get them turned back again.
Try changing up the decoys, give them a good hole to land in.
Flash is good for grabbing their attention - mojo's or string pulled flashers work great but experiment with what's working for the birds in your areas (wigeons love the constant movement vs. mallards like the off and on movement for example)
Good luck and have fun learning, there's always something to help out on your next hunt!
Kent