Wichester Blind Side

http://www.pa.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic766084.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Duxunlimited - 1/17/2012 5:57:48 AM
Did anybody use this new stuff during the season,and if so,how did it perform ??
By mfenn - 1/17/2012 8:48:08 AM
I did....when I could afford it.

It shot really well, seemed really similar to the black cloud to me- but in the end, your either on them or your not!
By Duxunlimited - 1/17/2012 4:12:48 PM
Yep, the stuff is high.Just like the Remington Hypersonic started out at 37.00 a box, but now 27.00 a box , the Blind Side will fall in price too.

Did you happen to "pattern" any of it with different chokes & guns ?
By Trackmyer - 1/17/2012 4:46:11 PM
Hi Dux, I tried a box of the Blind Side this past season. I really liked it.

I used 12 gauge, 3", No. 2's.
Fired out of a Beretta auto 28" barrel with Modified stock choke.

The pattern at 40yards put more shot in a 30" circle than the same size shells in Black Cloud FS Steel, Kent Fasteel, Winchester Xpert, Black Cloud Snow Goose, and Remington Hi Speed.

I tried it with a Improved Cylinder stock choke as well, didn't really see any difference.

The Blind Side seemed to not only have more pellets in 30", it also produced a lot less "flyers".
The others had more flyers on a consistent basis.

I'm sorry I don't have the actual pellet counts, but it was a noticeable difference.

For me the black cloud had more "clumps" or "clusters" of pellets tight together, with bigger gaps between cluster, but still within the 30".  The blind side had a more even spread with less clusters and not as many spaces.

Now for me, though it performed extremely well in a head to head comparison, I did not buy a second box.  I feel that though the improved performance is beyond doubt, the cheap stuff works just as good for me when shooting anything 30 yards or less.  Since I always have a wide range of shot types and brands available I will usually load my gun with the cheap stuff for rounds 1 and 2, or even a couple 2 3/4" rounds.  With a higher brand 3" shell for my third shot.

Thats my take anyways.
By Joe Hunter - 1/18/2012 7:51:18 AM
Here are some pattern numbers from Winchester’s Drylok Super-X Steel and Elite Blind Side Hex Steel loads to provide a comparison on their patterning performance.

All patterns were shot on the same day with a 12-gauge 3-inch Remington 870 Special Purpose with 28-inch barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30-inch post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (162 pellets) @ 1,400 fps

40 YARDS

IC (.009" const.) / pattern 94 (58%)

Mod (.016" const.) / pattern 116 (72%)

Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 121 (75%)

F (.037" const.) / pattern 133 (82%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER ELITE BLIND SIDE STEEL LOAD 1 3/8 oz #2 Hex Steel (176 pellets) @ 1,400 fps

40 YARDS

IC (.009" const.) / pattern 85 (48%)

Mod (.016" const.) / pattern 98 (56%)

Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 104 (59%)

F (.037" const.) / pattern 109 (62%)

First things first, I patterned two different factory flush modified Rem-chokes, one has .016-inch constriction and the other has .018-inch constriction as measured with a bore gauge.

As you can see from the pattern numbers, both loads were able to exceed Roster/CONSEP minimum lethal mallard killin’ pattern density at the tested 40 yards with all chokes except the Blind Side Hex Steel load with the IC choke.  And, the lighter 1 ¼-ounce load with fewer spherical steel pellets actually put more pellets in the down range patterns with all chokes tested.

When comparing the pattern numbers and pattern percentages, it does look as though the Hex Steel cubic-shaped pellets tend to open patterns.

Field results -- Well, I shot the last 20 BS shells (3", 1 3/8 oz, #2) I had left over from the pattern testing. I was shooting decoying ducks and I didn't pick my shots any more than I normally do. I shot 12 mallards and 2 pintails, missed a few, shot a couple twice, and crippled a couple that the dog caught. Most shots were 20-30 yards but a couple were out around 40 yards. I didn't notice anything particularly devistating about them.

Good luck.
By Riley1810 - 1/18/2012 7:55:17 AM
I use it and love it.  I have been using 3" # 2's for my ducks and 3.5" BB's for goose and have nothing but good things to say about it.  At 40 yards it is awesome with a stock MC. 
By Kired - 1/19/2012 6:15:03 PM
I used it this year and it knocked them down as well as the dryloks did.  Though one day I did go on a little jump shoot and knocked down three mallards with one shot with them, so i'd say it was devastating that day.  I probably won't spend the extra cash to shoot them, but I'll keep a box for goose hunting in the early season for sure.  
By Duxunlimited - 2/4/2012 5:04:01 AM
Joe Hunter,

I  just got through reading the stats on the Winchester Blindside and supposedly the 3 inch #2 will penetrate gellatin (3 inches at 40 yards) ..if they could bump the speed up to 1500 and keep everything else in tact,what a awesome load that would be..I bought 7 boxes of the Remington Hypersonic and me and my youngest son shot up 4 of the 7 boxes,all I can say is : Good grief that stuff kicks like a mule !! Birds like Gadwall and Mallards and such were just mangled and torn apart- it may be that the Remington Hypersonic may very well be a good shell down towards the Tx coast ,but over decoys,just a little to much.

I do however like the extra payload in the blinside- that an excellent post you made and a good read,thanx Dux
By Duxunlimited - 2/4/2012 5:07:34 AM
Kired, 3 Greens - 1 shot - that memory will stay with you for a lifetime !!
By texduk3 - 2/5/2012 11:36:41 AM
good posts by all,  thanks for the insights
By WoodDuck87 - 2/7/2012 6:59:11 PM
Duxunlimited (2/4/2012)
Joe Hunter,

I  just got through reading the stats on the Winchester Blindside and supposedly the 3 inch #2 will penetrate gellatin (3 inches at 40 yards) ..if they could bump the speed up to 1500 and keep everything else in tact,what a awesome load that would be..I bought 7 boxes of the Remington Hypersonic and me and my youngest son shot up 4 of the 7 boxes,all I can say is : Good grief that stuff kicks like a mule !! Birds like Gadwall and Mallards and such were just mangled and torn apart- it may be that the Remington Hypersonic may very well be a good shell down towards the Tx coast ,but over decoys,just a little to much.

I do however like the extra payload in the blinside- that an excellent post you made and a good read,thanx Dux

I agree with that one, too much over decoys.  Shoot the cheapest stuff will kill over decoys.
By Joe Hunter - 2/7/2012 8:31:08 PM
Glad some of you liked the info I posted on Blind Sides.  Here are some Rem. Hyper-sonic pattern numbers shot with the same gun and chokes as the Blind Side and Drylok loads.

Patterns were shot with a 12 gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" REMINGTON HYPER-SONIC STEEL LOAD

1 1/8 oz #2 steel (141 pellets + 14 plastic beads) 1,700 fps

40 YARDS
IC (.009" const.) / pattern 63 (45%)

Mod (.016" const.) / pattern 75 (53%)

Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 78 (55%)

Full (.037" const.) / pattern 100 (71%)

Those are some pretty low pattern numbers even for 1 1/8 oz loads and yes you best be ready for some recoil when you pull the trigger on Hyper-sonics!!!

Good luck

By Base - 2/7/2012 8:55:28 PM
I wish I had more proof but the very few ducks i got this year, I got to say I really enjoy it is is very good for me and my Xtrema II, it was like turning off a switch, the life just fell out of them. I didnt have any crips.