Rem 887 misfires

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic762423.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 0226807 - 10/16/2011 8:47:12 AM
Intermittently my 1-year-old Rem 887 misfires -- barely pricks the primer. When it does fire, the pin plows into the primer just like it should. It has happened multiple times on two outings this year.

Malfunction or operator error? Is it possible I could subconsciencely pulling back on the forearm while pulling the trigger and disengaging the bolt head from the chamber? Mechanically, what would make the pin strike one time and not the next? That doesn't make sense to me.

Any help here would be great. It's the middle of the season!
By flannel - 10/16/2011 3:54:34 PM
you could try pulling the bolt apart and removing the firing pin while cleaning every nook and cranny, then use a little oil where appropriate. Sometimes crap from the factory will get caught up in there and will cause occasional/random misfire. It doesn't take much to get a firing pin to act up. If that doesn't do it, better send it in for warranty work. good luck, I know how frustrating it is to have a dysfunctional weapon during the season. :pinch:
By jcsanders79 - 10/17/2011 2:46:36 PM
If you have never fully disassembled it including the bolt I'd be that's your problem.  I don't shoot a new gun without a thorough cleaning.  The grease they cover them inside and out is horrible.  Gum's up and is just plain nasty. 
By Honker-Konker - 10/17/2011 11:19:42 PM
Clean your gun really good and don't use oils that are going to get gummy. Go with synthetic oils that don't thicken up. Also what brand of shells where you using? A buddy of mine got a box of Remington Sportsman that he kept getting light primer strikes with. It seemed like the primers where set a little too deep for consistant ignition.
By 0226807 - 10/24/2011 2:29:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Helpful information.

I used this gun last season, shot a round of sporting clays this fall, and had no misfires until opening day this year. So far I've had 6 misfires out of 11 trigger pulls. I have taken the time to check it out there appears to be a degree of slop in the action; something less than an eighth of an inch. If I consciencely push the forearm stock forward when I shoot, "bang." If I pull the forearm stock back like you normally would, "click."

Fortunately, Michigan has an authorized Remington service center. This should be a warranty issue that hopefully they can fix while I wait.

Sucks when this happens during season, however, I have gotten better acquainted with by O/U.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
By flannel - 10/24/2011 6:45:53 PM
0226807 (10/24/2011)
Thanks for all the replies. Helpful information.

I used this gun last season, shot a round of sporting clays this fall, and had no misfires until opening day this year. So far I've had 6 misfires out of 11 trigger pulls. I have taken the time to check it out there appears to be a degree of slop in the action; something less than an eighth of an inch. If I consciencely push the forearm stock forward when I shoot, "bang." If I pull the forearm stock back like you normally would, "click."

Fortunately, Michigan has an authorized Remington service center. This should be a warranty issue that hopefully they can fix while I wait.

Sucks when this happens during season, however, I have gotten better acquainted with by O/U.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Let me guess- you cleaned your gun before the season started?? Make sure that you firmly seated the forend when you put it back on your magazine tube. Make sure that your magazine cap is firmly secured as well. Sounds like your forend isn't properly installed, or has something blocking it from seating in the proper position. Good luck
By Gunman21 - 10/27/2011 6:50:36 PM
Ive had my 887 for a year and havent had anyproblems with it and its been through hell and back...same reccomendations though, dont use thickening oil when your cleaning it and try to keep a firm grip.
By 0226807 - 11/4/2011 10:40:16 AM
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions, but I have learned there is a warranty issue with the Rem. 887.

I took it to a Remington service center last week. The diagnosis: "Battery lock failure." Essentially, the action doesn't lock into place, resulting in a light pin strike.

Remington knows of the problem and has made new parts -- new bolt and new action arms. Think they're drop-in replacements. Had Remington sent the smithy the correct parts the first time I'd be using it this weekend.
By duckman91 - 11/4/2011 12:45:50 PM
Outside of misfires, how do you like that gun? 
By flannel - 11/5/2011 10:43:29 AM
0226807 (11/4/2011)
Guys, thanks for all the suggestions, but I have learned there is a warranty issue with the Rem. 887.

I took it to a Remington service center last week. The diagnosis: "Battery lock failure." Essentially, the action doesn't lock into place, resulting in a light pin strike.

Remington knows of the problem and has made new parts -- new bolt and new action arms. Think they're drop-in replacements. Had Remington sent the smithy the correct parts the first time I'd be using it this weekend.

Sounds like Remington is taking care of the problem, hope it works out for you! Happy Hunting!
By 0226807 - 11/6/2011 6:54:10 AM
The jury is still out whether or not I like this gun. I'm new to wingshooting and waterfowling and getting better every outing. Still understanding shotgun "fit" and the like. I particularly like its seemingly indestructable Armorlok. I've been using my O/U in lieu of having the M887 this season. I'm killing birds but it's just not condusive to the duck-hunting environment: mud, muck, stuff slamming around in the boat.

Ask me after next season!
By Kurt L - 11/6/2011 2:10:23 PM
The misfire issue is pretty common with 887's you are one of many that has the isssue, I hope they fix your gun quickly so you can get back in the game!

Kurt
By BDhunter - 11/10/2011 4:09:24 PM
it a very comon thing with the action it slides back 1/8 of an inch ive held many of the 887 and noticed this.also go to you tube type in remington 887 click stick. you have to hole the pump forword.i would call remington becouse no other pump does that even the 870 doesnt do it.it a flaw in the gun.
By rskinsfan21 - 11/10/2011 8:41:50 PM
My bestfriend owns an 887 and has had it for a year now. He loves it and has had no problems with it so far. He's used it in multiple hunts and put it through hell in the swamps wood duck hunting. The gun is VERY durable and I'm surprised that your having problems with it. If I were you I would contact Remington since it sounds like your gun has a malfunction and they should take care of it under the warranty.  Also my Mossberg misfired early this year and I took it apart and cleaned everything thoroughly and since then I havent had a misfire at all. Either option should fix your 887. Good luck this year in all of your hunts.
By jcz - 11/13/2011 8:49:24 PM
0226807 (11/4/2011)

My brother just got a 887. We went out to shoot some skeet a couple weeks ago and he had several misfires. I told him it may have been the old shells. Ive had them for a few years. But now that I see this and think about it I didnt have any misfires with my browning.
Are these new parts available to anyone with the gun or does an authorized dealer have to get them? Do you have any info you could pass on about it?
By texduk3 - 12/22/2011 12:05:20 PM
Bought an 887 in August this year

Cleaned and disassembled as recommended in the manuel.

Teal season had shells drop out while feeding a new shells.

Duck season had shells jam during cycling new rounds( all 3" shells)

also on same trip had 7 mis-fires ( a full limit missed)

returned gun to place I bought it,

its now at Remington

I may see it in March

Back to my 35 yr old Mossberg 500

For sale 1 rem 887
By flannel - 12/22/2011 6:17:05 PM
texduk3 (12/22/2011)
Bought an 887 in August this year

Cleaned and disassembled as recommended in the manuel.

Teal season had shells drop out while feeding a new shells.

Duck season had shells jam during cycling new rounds( all 3" shells)

also on same trip had 7 mis-fires ( a full limit missed)

returned gun to place I bought it,

its now at Remington

I may see it in March

Back to my 35 yr old Mossberg 500

For sale 1 rem 887

I know how you feel since I had misfire issues with my xtrema2. I sent it back to Beretta and now that it has proved itself reliable, I wont part with it! Give your 887 another chance and you might feel the same way. 
By Critter - 1/3/2012 4:47:46 PM
Im a remington man threw and threw.  I think remington could have made a better looking gun.  I would like to know, why would they try to improve the 870.  why try to fix something if its not broke??  Just my two cents. 
By flannel - 1/3/2012 9:34:57 PM
Critter (1/3/2012)
Im a remington man threw and threw.  I think remington could have made a better looking gun.  I would like to know, why would they try to improve the 870.  why try to fix something if its not broke??  Just my two cents. 

m-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g

Manufacturers come up with all kinds of crap just to offer something new in order to stimulate sales.
By Critter - 1/4/2012 5:26:12 PM
thats true, i never looked at it that way.  I still think its butt ugly.  It ranks right up there with the benelli nova.
By texduk3 - 1/28/2012 7:52:41 PM
887 update

Just got my 887 back from Remington (sent in Nov)

needed a new upgraded bolt, and trigger assembly

Used it today no problems.

Teal season 7 months away!