Benelli SBE 2 "American"

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic744195.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Littlettam - 10/12/2010 10:10:45 PM
After saving my money for a good semi-auto for this up coming waterfowl season, I decided to go with Benelli's Inertia driven system. I was strongly looking at the M2 field over its "over my wanting spending limit" big brother the SBE 2, its 3' camber was fine with me, compared to the SBE 2, I've never owned or shot a 3 1/2 cambered gun. But I was on Benelli's site earlier and at the bottom was there new "American" models, all they did was take off the ComforTech stock from the M2 and SBE 2. After comparing prices at a near by Cabela's, a New M2 ComforTech, is roughly the same as price as a New SBE 2 "American". And after some research, people are basically saying that the ComforTech is a marketing gimmick, and no-one really feels recoil when cupped up birds are diving in your spread, which I understand. So now the "American" looks like a good buy, having that option of 3 1/2 really appeals to me just knowing that its there, even though I might not use it all the time. And then with further research, I found out the SBE 2 is easier to clean, bigger trigger guard, longer receiver+ longer sighting plain, than the M2. Which made me excited to know that I might be a future owner of the ever famous SBE 2. So I guess the purpose for this post is I guess Im looking for a confirming word from fellow waterfowler's that this is a good deal and go for it, and if anyone own's this "American" to express their experience with it.

Forgive this lengthy post. Haven't posted since last season, hope everyone's doing well and excited for the season.
By Littlettam - 10/12/2010 10:16:58 PM
Who doesn't like pictures.
By Lonestar_Hunter - 10/12/2010 11:08:52 PM
Good gun, a buddy of mine just bought one and used it for teal season and dove hunts. He enjoyed it and I liked the way it shot. The comfortech system does reduce muzzle jump quite a bit, but the new system isn't bad at all. It's an incredible difference if you've been shooting a Nova like I have. I'm gonna buy one before too long also. Hope this helps a little.
By Lake Erie Dux - 10/13/2010 12:25:35 AM
I bought the SBE American two weeks ago...great gun..just do it!
By chadandy12 - 10/13/2010 7:48:44 AM
I have the M2 I love it!! I have the comfortech stock and I gotta say its no gimmick its very nice on the shoulder IMO. Buy the one that feels right for you. I never shoot 3-1/2" shells so the M2 is perfect for me. Good Luck with your choice. But I would say if I had to choose between the SBEII American and the M2 comfortech I would choose the M2 all day just me though.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/13/2010 10:46:45 AM
I have the M2 American and so do my two brothers.  We all upgraded this year from the Benelli Nova.  I have to say that the difference between the M2 American and the M2 Field is very minimal.  YES, you do get the Comfortec stock with the M2 Field, but at an additional $200-300.  To me, the Comfortec stock was not worth the extra money, so I got the M2 American.  I have shot my dad's M2 Field with the Comfortec stock, and YES it does make a little bit of a difference.  It's not night and day.  However, I'm 220lbs of mostly muscle, so the extra recoil was really no big deal for me.  My shoulder can take it.  And, it's not like you are shooting the gun constantly when you are hunting, so are you really gonna complain about the recoil when the day is done?  Probably not because even without the Comfortec the gun still doesnt kick hard.  I say this, GET WHAT FITS YOU AND YOUR BUDGET.  The SBE II is a better gun.  No question there.  I promise you you will not be dissappointed with either gun.  Just make sure that you dont do what most NEW Benelli owners do, and that is MAKE SURE YOUR BOLT IS FORWARD!!  My brother found this out the hard way this season when his gun went "click" instead of "BOOM".  This is because of the rotating bolt assembly. If you allow the bolt to slide back and come sliding forward SLOWLY your gun will not fire because the bolt didnt rotate back to the correct position.  If this happens just pull the bolt halfway back and let it jam forward on its own and it will fire.  Hope this helps.
By Littlettam - 10/13/2010 1:05:32 PM
Thanks for that tip about the bolt. @ mydogrox, did you guys ever "break in" your benelli's with heavy loads first to the loosen the bolt? Ive seen many ppl talking about "breaking in" there guns so they will cycle every load reliably.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/13/2010 1:41:16 PM
The day I got it I went and shot a box of cheap Winchester target loads.  I have NEVER had the thing not cycle a round.  The thing does "break in" but it never actually needed to be broke in to work.  When I say "break in" I mean that the gun just gets even more smooth with every shot.  Yeah, it's a little tight at first, but it still will not jam. Just keep it clean (as with any gun).  This past summer over the 4th of July weekend I shot over 1,000 rounds through it in 3 days.  All cheap target loads, no jams, never cleaned it until I got home.  Oh, and my shoulder didnt even hurt...  So, you should be good to go.  Just watch the bolt like I told you about.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/13/2010 1:46:53 PM
What are you thinking about getting by the way, the M2 or SBE II?  Or, have you already brought your new baby home?
By Littlettam - 10/13/2010 2:03:55 PM
Yeah basically the more you shoot the smoother the action gets. No I'm still on the fence sadly... The fence is composed of, necessity of 3 1/2. look, feel, money, Im a college student with a ok job, but still moneys not hangin on the tree. Spending this kind of money on a shotgun is a big deal, I want to make it count.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/13/2010 2:16:20 PM
Exactly the same boat I'm in.  I'm working at an OK job full time while my wife goes to a private nursing school.  Let me just say this, you dont really NEED 3 1/2 inch.  I have killed a dozen geese and 10 ducks so far this year with 3 inch.  If money is a factor I would go with the M2.  Spend the extra money you would save on some new gear.  Or, just save it for a rainy day.  You will be just fine with the 3 inch.  I've killed ducks and geese out to 60 yards this year with 3 inch BB (geese) and 3 inch 3 (ducks).  To me, I'm just not rich enough to spend more money on a gun that shoots an extra 1/2 inch of shell and then even more money for the extra 1/2 on shells.  Just my 2¢.
By chadandy12 - 10/13/2010 3:00:41 PM
I honestly can say you'll be happy whichever way you decide. All the guns you are looking at are very nice. Just minor differences that you need to look at to see just how important they are to you. I am a shorter guy (5'-6") so I needed the smaller recoil pad which was another 90.00 so that might be something you may want to ask them about, depending upon the gun fit to you. I believe there are 3 different sizes and the longest one comes stock on the comfortech not sure about the american. As said above I am not sure the comfortech is a huge deal but if you plan on doing any trap, skeet or sporting clays with it, its nice to have for the recoil shot after shot and the muzzle jump with two or more clays at a time.
By redhed - 10/13/2010 3:36:05 PM
both the M2 and the sbeII are great guns! and about breaking the gun in, i never broke mine(sbeII) in with larger shells. i shot some steel shot through it first, but only about 10, not enough to make a difference. but one thing, with the inertia system, and small field loads, the gun(or atleast mine) wont cycle the second shot if you shoot it from the hip. the gun has to be rested against something firm when shooting the small field loads to keep the gun from moving WITH the bolt.
By heavyhauler2255 - 10/13/2010 8:39:40 PM
Dude, the SBE2 is a great gun....

Here's the long and short of it.  the "American" was introduced to appeal to those effected by the state of the "American" economy. 

My SBE2 has the comfortech stock.  Whether it helps or not... I'm sceptical.

I will say this though... after 2 seasons, you are constantly shoving those rubber things back in their holes. 

Just buy the American.  Same gun.  Hell, it might even be better.

There you have it

By Lake Erie Dux - 10/13/2010 9:01:34 PM
I have my waders...sweater..jackets...and most importantly my adrenaline...i never feel the recoils let pay any attention to it.When the Ducks are decoying in your buzzing 1000%....have fun.:D
By Littlettam - 10/13/2010 11:04:46 PM
Thanks for all you guys suggestions and input, especially mydogrox, thats one of the reasons why I come on here, the people. Went to Cabela's tonight and picked up the Benelli M2 "American", I know, not really what I intended on getting but I realized something when I was up there, Im just an average working college kid, do I WANT a SBE 2 with its 3 1/2 camber, yes, do I NEED one, no, Ill save the extra money "for a raining day". I was doing fine with my 870 to begin with, the M2 is more than an upgrade, its like a sports car. Im super pleased with the weight, look feel, and especially the price, couldn't be happier. Used the extra money on a nice Kick's Choke, always wanted one of those. Now the hard part...waiting for the season to start! Thanks again, have a great season guys!
By chadandy12 - 10/14/2010 7:43:45 AM
Congrats!!! Have fun with it!!
By MYd0gRoX - 10/14/2010 8:36:12 AM
Littlettam 10/13/2010
Thanks for all you guys suggestions and input, especially mydogrox, thats one of the reasons why I come on here, the people. Went to Cabela's tonight and picked up the Benelli M2 "American", I know, not really what I intended on getting but I realized something when I was up there, Im just an average working college kid, do I WANT a SBE 2 with its 3 1/2 camber, yes, do I NEED one, no, Ill save the extra money "for a raining day". I was doing fine with my 870 to begin with, the M2 is more than an upgrade, its like a sports car. Im super pleased with the weight, look feel, and especially the price, couldn't be happier. Used the extra money on a nice Kick's Choke, always wanted one of those. Now the hard part...waiting for the season to start! Thanks again, have a great season guys!

Littlettam, you are a smart man.  Good decision on your part.  That little money you saved by not going all out may come in handy for you in the near future.  You never know when Murphy will come knockin.  Anyways, have fun with your gun, and keep on working hard.  Good luck this season.  By the way, did you get the all black 26in barrel, or did you get the Max-4 28in barrel?  Just curious.  I went with the all black 26in barrel.  Just fits me better.

By Littlettam - 10/14/2010 9:23:43 AM
Yeah I went with the all black 26' and with the kick's its almost 28' the more I hold it the more I like it, now I just need to get to the range and dust some clay's before the season, whats your advice/method for cleaning if don't mind me asking.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/14/2010 10:00:26 AM
I use Hoppes 9 in the barrel with a Bore Snake.  You will also find that there are 3 little grooves in the part of the barrel that fits into the receiver and I like to clean them out using Hoppes and Q-tips.  I always fully disassemble the bolt.  It's very, very easy to do.  I clean that with Hoppes & Q-tips as well.  Now, cleaning the receiver is a little more difficult (I have big hands).  I just take my time and go slow.  I HATE a dirty gun.  Anyways, after you have it all clean wipe off any excess oil that may be in the receiver.  Now, get some good gun lubricant and drop 1-2 drops into the grooves that the bolt slides back and forth on the inside of the receiver.  Then, your done.  Just put back together (dont forget to oil the outside as well to prevent rust).  I like to clean my guns like I clean my weapons in the military.  GO EASY ON THE OIL!  You dont need a ton of the stuff in your gun to work.  I'm not talking about solvent (Hoppes).  Just remember that oil attracts dust and dirt which wears out the moving parts your gun out even faster.  Follow these guidlines and you should have no problems.
By Littlettam - 10/14/2010 11:23:05 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it.
By MYd0gRoX - 10/14/2010 12:05:56 PM
No problem bud.
By Little RSC - 10/19/2010 9:29:01 PM
I had the same difficult decision to make a couple years back and it is a difficult decision because once you buy it you can't take it back. I went with Benelli M2. I love the gun and I do not have one regret.  I don't think a 3 1/2 inch shell is not necessary so I was not willing to pay the extra couple of hundred dollars for a more expensive gun and the ammo is also more expensive. Hunters killed ducks for a hundred years with 2 3/4 shells and never had a problem.  I did break in my gun with about 3 boxes of shells when I first got it and I recommend doing that.  Another thing that I am glad I did is I bought an after market ported choke tube to reduce the muzzle jump and recoil.  It helps you get back on target quicker and get off more shots.  The choke tube I bought was made by a company called "Kicks Highflyer".  They are designed to shoot steal shot.  I don't think you will be disapointed by the SBEII if you decide to go with that rought. I would recommend you at least shooting a 3 1/2 shell before you buy one though because it will kick the grease out of a biscuit.  I don't feel that I have ever missed a duck because I was not using 3 1/2 inch shell, its because I just missed.
By Little RSC - 10/19/2010 9:38:27 PM
Dude....you are going to fall in love with that gun.  Glad you got the Kicks Highflyer choke. Those chokes are da Bomb.  The ported choke takes all the muzzle jump away.  It makes it so smooth.  Don't put too much oil on that gun because last year I did that and I left in the boat overnight and the oil got all solid and jammed up my gun.  Also, don't leave your gun in your boat overnight thats my next tip. Thats the great thing about a Benelli. You don't have to aby them.  I think you will never regret your decision.
By SwatScout - 10/30/2010 11:42:33 PM
Great decision.  I have and beneli m2 field which does NOT have the comfort tech stock and the ONLY time i really feel the recoil is when im patterning hunting loads.  I LOVE the gun.  I also talked my buddy into buying the same exact m2 american you bought and he love it as well.  No break in....hell he didnt even shoot the **** thing before he went grouse hunting the next week. ( and he shot a grouse).  You will love the gun....take notice to the advise on the bolt locking forward....its not a big deal but it does happen.
By Hopedale - 11/23/2010 9:39:42 PM
I've been looking at the Browning Maxus, but took a look at the American series Benellis. 

I know what everyone has posted on 3 1/2, but really can't make up my mind.  The M2's have a real sweet price right now. 

By Littlettam - 11/27/2010 3:56:12 PM
M2 American best deal on the market IMO, hasn't jammed, super easy to clean, nice shooting. Just get it haha.