Diver Gang Rigs

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic724077.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bennelli_SBE - 2/19/2010 7:51:07 PM
Just curious about running gang lines with diver decoys with keels.  Use to have gang rig with herters diver decoys without a keel, but I am worried about the keels getting all tangled with the long lines.  Any suggestions, or know where you can get keel-less diver decoys.
By alloutwar13 - 2/20/2010 11:39:42 AM
we have a variety of ducks in our gang rigs from herters to GHGs with the big 60/40 durakeels and they all do farely well without getting tangled.  Now ours arent all jumbled up in a box they are organized and we hook em up one duck at a time.
By Bennelli_SBE - 2/20/2010 1:07:55 PM
So you take each decoy of the main line every time you pack up?  What kind of gang rig do you use? 
By ducker - 2/20/2010 2:38:04 PM
We use tangle free line for our main line with a pair of knots tied 6 inches apart every 6ft. or so and a loop on each end. For our drop lines we use 2ft. of regular decoy chord with a
6 inch long line clip on the end. Our main line is wrapped on a spool. When we are ready to put out our rig we just clip a loop from our long line and a loop in the end of our anchor chord onto a long line clip and throw anchor and decoy overboard. Then, drifting with the wind, we just clip a decoy between every pair of knots until we get to the other end where we clip on another anchor.
By tnduckhunter - 2/21/2010 1:39:10 PM
I made my main line from 75lbs. catfish line put 2 d clips on either end and use some old bricks with a chain thru the holes to hook to as weights. I went 12 feet and tied a loop 3 feet another loop and so on, off the keels I used a 2 foot drop and bought a stringer with the big clips, cut off the clips and tied them to the drop. In all I spent less then $10 for the set-up. You have to get a spool for your main line but 2 guys can run a rig in less then 10 minutes. Good luck
By alloutwar13 - 2/21/2010 7:38:41 PM
We use a gang rig from Rig Em Right that is awesome.  The ducks have quick clips that attach to the main line so it takes like 1 second to do each decoy.  And yes I bag em up one at a time so they dont get tangled or trampled on. Plus in a 14 ft boat with three guys and a few dozen dekes there isnt much extra room for clutter.  Also I do highly recommend the kit from Rig Em Right I know these guys are saying about building there own rig and I tried that it s*^&ed hard the rig em right kit is quick and easy and even has the line winders and clips and everything so you just have to decide how long each mainline needs to be and roll with it.
By Bennelli_SBE - 2/22/2010 12:26:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys.  I will probably just buy the system.  I will have to do a few trial runs though before i head to N.D. and do it in the dark on the big water.
By gander_lander34 - 2/23/2010 8:53:28 AM
Also, just a thought. I see a lot of guys are making their drop lines 2' long. The only thing I could add to that is make them at least 3'. The reason I say this, is think of your dog. I know my dog has some long, lanky legs. If the drops are 3 feet long, your dog should have no problem possibly getting hung up on the main line. I know a lot of it comes down to training and training the dog to stay calm if he/she gets tangled/hung up, but that is one less thing that I have to worry about when I'm out hunting. Especially if you're hunting out on big, deep water.
By old timer - 2/28/2010 12:23:27 PM
I use dekes with keels. The decoys are permanently attached to the main line with 1 foot droppers and a swivel. The main line runs through the swivel, and is held in place with cord crimps.( All the lines are tangle free decoy line) There is a loop on the dropper just above the swivel. The dowel slips through this loop. The decoys are stored and deployed off of a 4 foot long 1/2 inch dowel. I have 12 - 16 decoys on each 4 foot dowel.There is also a loop tied on the main line halfway between each decoy that also slips on the dowel. This prevents tangling. When setting the decoys I simply drop the anchor of the main line, drift with the wind, and let the decoys slide off the dowel. I often hunt alone, so having the decoys permanently affixed to the main line works well. I can set out 50 decoys in about 20 minutes, and pick up in about the same amount of time. When I first made this, I used regular braided decoy line and ended up with a tangled mess. If there is a strong wind, i sometimes slip a small anchor to hold the boat so I can the drift, then pull the anchor and keep going. This system was less expensive than the clip system as well. When travelling in the boat the dowels are stored by slipping 90 degree plastic conduit elbows over the ends of the dowels and pushing these over short dowels sticking up out of the oarlocks.
By AmericanWigeon - 3/5/2010 7:19:18 PM
gander_lander34 2/23/2010
Also, just a thought. I see a lot of guys are making their drop lines 2' long. The only thing I could add to that is make them at least 3'. The reason I say this, is think of your dog. I know my dog has some long, lanky legs. If the drops are 3 feet long, your dog should have no problem possibly getting hung up on the main line. I know a lot of it comes down to training and training the dog to stay calm if he/she gets tangled/hung up, but that is one less thing that I have to worry about when I'm out hunting. Especially if you're hunting out on big, deep water.

If you go 3' you can drive your boat between the blocks too.

By WaterChicken - 3/7/2010 6:28:01 PM
Hey guys,
going to start working on some bigger diver spreads for this next fall. I want to do some long lines with a 3' drop but I'm curious. a lot of lines float, anyone know what kind of rope that doesn't float? something that sinks naturally? I want my dog to swim un obstructed and I'd like to be able to drive through if need be so line that sinks would be awesome!

BTW my dog is very familiar with swimming through lines. We started very early training in ponds with decoys and copious amounts of line out so she could get used to it. I'd go out with her to make sure if anything went wrong I could grab her but i'd rather avoid it if possible when she was first learning about decoy line.
By WIhunter - 3/9/2010 3:52:25 PM
I just started my own little business out of the house making this stuff.  Rid Ems are WAY TO expensive!!  I can ship them to you guys for way cheaper.

As far as droppers go, I usually go only 6".  This avoids any messing with line but the flip side is using a dog is not an option. 

The line I am using for droppers is a monofilament, basically a 400 lb. test line, that is tanglefree and tough as nails.

I can make custom lengths anywhere from a few inches to how many ever feet you want. 

By Sage23 - 3/30/2010 9:33:16 AM
WaterChicken 3/7/2010
Hey guys,
going to start working on some bigger diver spreads for this next fall. I want to do some long lines with a 3' drop but I'm curious. a lot of lines float, anyone know what kind of rope that doesn't float? something that sinks naturally? I want my dog to swim un obstructed and I'd like to be able to drive through if need be so line that sinks would be awesome!

BTW my dog is very familiar with swimming through lines. We started very early training in ponds with decoys and copious amounts of line out so she could get used to it. I'd go out with her to make sure if anything went wrong I could grab her but i'd rather avoid it if possible when she was first learning about decoy line.

Rig 'em Right's main line rope doesn't float at all and sinks really nicely.  I use the whole system for my main line and decoy drops.  Takes very little time with two guys to set out a pretty good sized spread with this system.  Here's a link to the mainline rope that I'm talking about:

http://www.krugerfarms.com/prodhighlight.cfm?ItemId=DC-0195&MiniCategoryID=439&StartRow=1&Pointer=41&NumResults=49&1534-D83A_1933715A=8f00e25130df0ea7645c534e56c29e008e57087e

Any questions let me know man!

By weeks9350 - 3/30/2010 11:56:43 AM
visit  doctarilonglines.com  these guys have it all
By get 'em - 5/5/2010 5:54:12 AM
How long do you guys usually make your mainlines? And what kind/where go you get your weights?
By WIhunter - 5/6/2010 9:10:36 AM
get ''em 5/5/2010
How long do you guys usually make your mainlines? And what kind/where go you get your weights?

We run both 100' and 200'.  We use a variety of weights, basically anything that is playing around.  15-25 pound dumbells, old boat anchors.  Whatever is most cost effective.

By FowlHunter - 5/6/2010 2:51:13 PM
I used half gallon milk jugs filled with sand and water to get all the air out.
By WIhunter - 5/6/2010 9:53:48 PM
FowlHunter 5/6/2010
I used half gallon milk jugs filled with sand and water to get all the air out.

Great Idea.  I have gotten all my weights from people who have been throwing them away or just randoms that I found laying around the house

By spanky1100 - 5/14/2010 6:33:19 AM
anitfreeze jugs washed peoprerly of courese and windshild washer jugs filled with cement work great
By get 'em - 5/14/2010 7:56:12 AM
Where do you buy the mainline from, I can't seem to find it any where.
By honkerhunter - 6/2/2010 10:54:32 AM
there easy to set up and work well, until the wind starts whipping up
By tnduckhunter - 6/2/2010 5:10:21 PM
Just saw some posts about changing my drop from 2' to 3' for my dog. I never had that problem with getting my dog caught up in the lines, but you guys bring up a good point. I'm going to change my drops this weekend, I wouldn't want to find otu the hard way. Thanks
By WIhunter - 6/24/2010 1:36:19 PM
spanky1100 5/14/2010
anitfreeze jugs washed peoprerly of courese and windshild washer jugs filled with cement work great

Maybe so for shallower waters with no wind but cement isnt all that heavy.  We need a minium of a 15 pund anchor if there are any kind of winds when hunting lake Michigan