Don't go back to a spot your buddy showed you without him

http://me.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic711899.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Amish Amy - 12/1/2009 5:10:24 AM
this has caused many strained relationships and lost friendships!  I've learned the hard way (several times)  Joe
By DukBum - 12/1/2009 7:11:54 AM
Amish Amy this is a good one that happens more then you think
By tubby 2 - 12/1/2009 9:41:03 AM
Ya'll are right....this causes hard feelings and sometimes ends a friendship.
By wade MI hunter - 12/1/2009 10:10:05 AM
yup i dont take anyone i dont trust to any of my good spots. and the people i do take to them get a speech about never going there without me. it would be the end of their hunting with me if i found out they when there without me.
By Fowldawg - 12/1/2009 9:05:01 PM
this may be the most important Don't I can think of , for the newbee and the season veteran. as much as you may want to please Don't
By Amish Amy - 12/2/2009 5:15:23 AM
now that you guys know you can trust me send me a map of all your favorite spots!!!  I promise i wont go without you.  How many times have I heard that!!  joe
By ThePelican... - 12/2/2009 3:22:51 PM
yep, def in the top 10 donts
By TnSmokey - 12/3/2009 11:37:56 AM
This is so true and is in the top 5 of the don't list. I have learned the hard way several times with friends i have known all my life. Needless to say if in doubt don't take them.
By Killer B - 12/3/2009 3:56:33 PM
Yeah, that is as bad as going off shore with a professional fisherman and using a handheld GPS to mark his spots and then selling them to everyother john **** and harry.  This caused  a huge fight at a bar the guy with the gps almost didn't get out alive.   Moral of the story, study google earth, scout spots on your own, and respect others who have put the work into finding their own good spots.   It is so rewarding to come home with ducks taken out of a spot that you spent hours, sometimes days scouting and finding.  
By quacker smacker - 12/4/2009 9:59:13 PM
I hunt on Ft Hood, and it just ****in killed me the last time I went to my favoritpe spot.. I been hunting there all through dove season, and the first 2 weekends of duck. I set up a lil blind and everything. even had my dekes stashed there. I showed up one day to find my former best friend with not one, not two but 3 of his buddies....bugers had my blind, my dekes, and even my favorite spot of grass.... Now brother that hurts.... Needless to say I got myself another place, but it the principal of the matter..

ENGINEERS LEAD THE WAY!!!!
By cupped wings - 12/5/2009 8:17:56 PM
Great one Joe. 

Ohhhhh BTW is today your birthday or something?

By Amish Amy - 12/6/2009 6:12:18 AM
No  my birthday is in April  I planned it so it wouldn't interfere with any hunting!!  I'll send you a pic of a whistler hunt I just got back from as soon as I get them out of my camera and onto my pc  Joe
By DuckTrainee - 1/18/2010 10:41:28 PM
Essayons! An engineer and a duck hunter..The ducks don't stand a chance.

Great advice. Had this happen to a favorite trout lake once. Took a friend to share my good fortune and returned to find him and ten other people fishing in and around  the spot I set him up on when I took him out. They were having a big bonfire and partying it up to boot. I was flamed, and we had words. On my way out I noticed his keys in his truck. Being a good former friend and all I decided to return them to him. I tossed them to him, but I guess I have a weak arm as they only made as far as the fishing spot I had shown him, which he and his buddies were working over. Afterward I figured one of the waterheads would eventually find them but I still walked off with at least small measure of satisfaction.

We haven't spoke since.

By daddy duck - 1/19/2010 5:53:01 AM
i have blindfolded my own son before don't think i wouldn't for a friend.........ducks too scarse in these here parts
By DDnHand - 1/25/2010 10:19:32 AM
I will take anyone hunting or fishing cause I like sharing and seeing people have a great time in the outdoors but I have been burt many times of land owners calling me and asking me why these people are out there without me being with them.  I have a easy system, I tell every person I take.  They are well aware of the FACT that if they disrespect me and the land owner by doing this when they are caught, the sherif is there newest buddy if they want it or not.  You should never take advantage of your outdoor family.
By sdelee - 1/25/2010 12:49:24 PM
I had a great spot for geese then the farmer's grandson decides he wants to hunt it with his 7 closest friends.  He didn't believe me when I told him once the crops are out his grandfather has no more rights to land.  A friend who lives nearby called me one day when they were out there skybusting.  I called the landowner, who called the farmer, who called his grandson, who then called the landowner.  Landowner told grandson he could hunt there, but only when I approved it.  Needless to say, he has called twice since but has hunted zero times.
By GThomp - 1/25/2010 3:39:02 PM
Had this happen to me this year. Someone with a loud mouth leaked our spot, and another guy put it on the internet. Needless to say a spot that should have produced for a month produced for a week.
By ChocoLab21 - 2/1/2010 9:19:17 PM
I agree to a point and this other point being....had this happen this year on a remote public lake that wasnt small by any means but few hunted it.  Anyways, I found the lake on the game and parks site and asked a buddy if he wanted to try it.  He told me he had been there the weekend before with another guy.  We decided to hunt it the next morning and, of course, not to intrude on the spot where my friend and this guy had hunted the weekend previous.  We show up pre-dawn at the boat ramp to find this other guy putting in the water and he came at us like a firecat on steriods.  We tried to explain that we were planning on hunting a different part of this PUBLIC lake but he was not having it and an all out brawl nearly followed.  Moral:  stake out a spot and Ill respect it but claiming an entire piece of public property does not fly with me.
By Swamper - 2/2/2010 3:03:43 PM
this is the number one sin of all hunting.  happened to me by my own cousin.  turned him on to a great bow hunting spot.  one saturday i went down and he had three other guys down there putting up tree stands!  haven't talked to him since, been 20 years!! 
By GThomp - 2/4/2010 5:20:18 PM
The overall point of this is, people WILL steal your good spots if they don't have one. So only take your close hunting buddies to good areas you find.
By mjwendorf - 2/4/2010 6:28:03 PM
Doing this would earn you a beat down.
By mp_usmc - 2/26/2010 3:17:17 PM
I thank god no one in our group has messed up our honey hole one 3 of us have permision out of six that have been there but unfortunatly our main guy has come down with cancer and even me and the other guy who has permision dont have the resourcs to be able to effeciently snow goose hunt this hole we can do the cans but it is just so sad to know the brids are there and you cant get a good hunt in and we feel bad since he is not there to hunt it with us usualy it is all three of us now it is none of us.

P.S. he is the one with the knowledge of calling and has the dekes I am new to the sport and poor and the other guy well he is just there to shoot doesnt even want to buy anything more than a gun and layout blind.

By DocV - 3/3/2010 2:26:11 PM
Glad this was brought up because I wouldn't have known better. Not out of any disrespect, just ignorance. I guess it seems innocent enough returning to a familiar place but I can see the problem with it. Thanks for the heads up!
By lasportsman - 3/10/2010 2:58:12 AM
 I hunt public land, which is open to everyone. With that said it takes years to find those great spots. I do take friends out hunting in those areas and so far they all respect enough to let me know if they plan on hunting one of those spots without me. Maybe I'm just lucky to have good friends. As long as whoever was showen the spot asks you for permission to hunt it, cool. But that doesn't me they can bring more people.
By Need Quack - 3/12/2010 9:49:10 PM
It's been my experience if you show someone your favorite hole on public land and expect it to remain yours alone is foolish.  It is extremely aggrivating to have a good hunt and go back the following day only to find someone else there that new you had a good day there before, but that's the way it is on public land.
By AK DADDOO - 3/7/2011 4:31:37 PM
Some of these "DON'TS" are covered by hunting with "Family" . that also includes inlaws and shirt tail relatives that feel related by choice is better than by blood. of course our family has kept the hunting fishing and whatever as a family tradition, and inclusion of others are by consent of the eldest of the group.
By Cougar125 - 3/15/2011 11:33:06 AM
I'm in the Navy so I'm on the move every few years.  I always find myself doing a lot of scouting to find nothing, then end up begging people to hunt with.  The people that have taken me hunting with them generally don't take me to their honey holes on public land, they know a family member or somebody with land that they take me to.  I don't take other people with me when I hunt anyways, but I'm always told "Don't get caught out here without one of us.  You'll get shot."  That's usually a good deterrent...but common courtesy says, "Of course I won't come out here without you.  You showed me this spot.  Thank you."
By Greenhead25 - 4/4/2011 3:32:30 PM
It took me 10 years of knowing the family and hunting the property with them and working on it and all thats entailed with hunting private land to get the permission to hunt it without them being there..I have that permission now and wont compromise that trust for anyone...Again it took me 10 years!!! I can bring friends out there to work and get the intros..But to hunt with me out there and you dont have the same rights i HAVE..IT AINT HAPPENING....Spots like these are treasured..ANyone who violates the unspoken rule to leave it alone dosent deserve to be hunting...Its basic ethics..
By whackem en stackem - 4/4/2011 8:27:02 PM
Yeah, I know what it's like. I was shown a honey hole by a good friend. We hunted it several times together until nov. when deer season started. He started hunting deer during the weekends but i kept to week days so i could still duck hunt. I asked him if he cared if i showed a friend that i thought i could trust. he gave me the green light and i showed my "friend". Before i knew it i was having to try and beat him to the spot every morning. It sucks, he doesn't understand that even though it's public hunting people still have secret honey holes they don't want the whole world knowing about.
By Little RSC - 4/16/2011 12:00:38 AM
Amen!!!
By Base - 4/22/2011 6:59:19 PM
Amish Amy (12/1/2009)
this has caused many strained relationships and lost friendships!  I've learned the hard way (several times)  Joe

x100, i got burned last season, invited a guy, next thing you know he had to bring his brother next thing you know those guys hunted that field every day of the last season, never again, never again.
By EthanB - 6/19/2011 8:57:48 PM
This is my #1 'don't', and unfortunately, cut my hunting buddies numbers down to about half. I decided to take a few buddies out to some very hard-to-get-to spots that noone ever hunts.  But once I brought my buddies out to these spots and realized it was a duck hunting heaven, they ruined it not a week later, busting the roost 3 times in a row.  Haven't taken them once to my spots since. Still my buddies, but no longer really my hunting buddies.
By reefcop - 10/11/2011 9:49:41 PM
If you get to your secret spot that your buddy happens to be in...  Get in his boat or blind, call at everything that flies, sky bust, eat his lunch, AND SHOOT HIS DECOYS:exclamation:
By Base - 10/14/2011 6:44:03 AM
reefcop (10/11/2011)
If you get to your secret spot that your buddy happens to be in...  Get in his boat or blind, call at everything that flies, sky bust, eat his lunch, AND SHOOT HIS DECOYS:exclamation:

LMAO! I agree even if its a seagull or a crow, CALL @ IT! lol
By gooses nitemare - 11/2/2011 9:55:28 AM
i have spots that my huntin buddy.whos hunted with me for years dont know about.but he has his own spots too.i only hunt them alone the only one who knows where i hunt is my lab an she anit sayin anything.
By FL_Brian - 9/1/2012 9:57:17 PM
I think this is probably the top 3 do not do's for me. I think of it as more of a respect thing than anything else. Respect for me is huge. I am now at a point where I hunt with one buddy. 
I had a friend last year who I scouted with for a new spot along with my hunting buddy. We found a killer woodie hole, found the X basically. We hunted all three together and found it to be great. Two weekends later my buddy and I decide to go (Sunday),we ask my friend if he could go Saturday evening and said he couldn't (respecting that we all found it together I asked if he minded we all went)
 That Sunday we went out to the spot and set up. The whole morning every duck rounded the creek and flared even before they got anywhere to us. We ended up going home and I started texting my friend about our misfortune, he proceeded then to tell me he was not only there the morning prior to our hunt (saturday) but told us he killed it with 2 guys I've never met. Since then I've found another great spot but still just made it to where now I don't want to go with him and rarely talk. This is a friend I used to fish and hang out with a lot as a younger kid. But frankly I think this do-not-do is more an unwritten respect rule