Redhead Waders

http://ut.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic688452.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By duckman91 - 7/24/2009 8:05:44 AM
I'm getting a new pair of waders this year and was looking at the Redhead Bone-Dry Extreme Waders at Bass Pro the other day.  Has anyone out there tried Redhead waders or their hunting jackets (I'm buying a jacket this year also)?  Are they any good? 

Thanks for the help.

- Matt

By MSwack - 7/24/2009 11:53:33 AM
They are ok for a little bit but mine have mulitple leaks in the croch and where some of the straps are connected at the waist. If I were you i would but they extra money and get a good pair of waders. Maybe something like Lacrosse
By Always1shy - 7/24/2009 12:05:35 PM
I have had my redhead waders for 4 years with NO problems. I would always recommend there clothing line. I also bought a redhead 4 in 1 jacket two years ago. Its great. Shell holders in both jackets. It really keeps me warm during those cold Canadian winters.
By duckman91 - 7/24/2009 12:49:44 PM
Thanks for the help buys.  I think I am going to look at the Lacrosse waders too. 
By SW Duck Hunter - 7/24/2009 1:28:53 PM
I too have considered the Red Head waders, I'm puzzled that the reviews are always polar opposites. You talk to 10 guys and 5 will say that the darn things practically fell apart after one use and the other 5 say they've used them for 5 seasons without issue. I wonder what the deal is.
By Harlan - 7/25/2009 11:28:20 AM
I had the bone drys for a year and the boot got a leak. then i purchased the extreme. they are very tuff and warm but the way the boot connects to the wader i dont like. the glue can be seen all around the boot with makes me think the two years i got out of them were good. next is macks praire wings waders, cabelas are good too.
By deke - 7/26/2009 2:32:31 PM
SW Duck Hunter 7/24/2009
I too have considered the Red Head waders, I'm puzzled that the reviews are always polar opposites. You talk to 10 guys and 5 will say that the darn things practically fell apart after one use and the other 5 say they've used them for 5 seasons without issue. I wonder what the deal is.

It is the same on the flyfishing forum that I am on, I have basically decided that with waders it is most important to choose from a company that will give you no hassles returns because no matter who makes them a certain percentage are going to leak right out of the box, the percentage may change by brand but if you end up with ones that leak and you cant return them, what good are they?
By Pit Boss - 7/27/2009 10:05:56 PM
This thread reminded me that I need to patch my DU-Maddog waders that I bought for my son last season. He wore them one time and they leaked like a sieve.
By countryhick - 7/27/2009 11:55:37 PM
I got two years out of mine and treated them pretty well. The last week of season this year, they started leaking in the crotch and wouldn't seal back up. I'm gonna go with the cabelas this year.
By arkansashogs18 - 7/28/2009 12:19:20 AM
i really like my lacrosse waders duckman. Only thing is i wear a size 14 but weigh 180 lbs my waders could fit two of me in there
By Buckshot9 - 7/30/2009 1:06:22 PM
Ive had mine for three years without any problems.
By mjwendorf - 7/30/2009 1:43:51 PM
The best pair of waders I have worn were the Cabela's brand.  I loved my lacrosse waders till they started leaking the first season I had them.  The seams started to come apart.  Also as far as a jacket I love my Drake jacket.  It cost a little more but worth the money on those nasty days.
By Hillbilly - 7/30/2009 2:44:46 PM
I like the lacrosse waders I've had mine 4 seasons now I tore a hole in them 2 seasons ago in a beaver pond, patched them and still no leaks.
By duckman91 - 7/31/2009 10:05:37 AM
Thanks again fellas for all of your advice and input.  I appreciate it. 
By CedarFork - 7/31/2009 10:45:03 AM
Not sure, but I think that some of the reason for different reviews on waders is that people are talking different waders. The Extreme waders have the briar protection on them. I have had mine for 7yrs. I hunt in very tough conditions, walking through thick woods and briars. I've never had a problem until I cut the leg on something metal in a beaver swamp last season. I patched the hole and finished the season dry and warm. the only comparable wader to me is the Cabela's brand. The guys I hunt with have liked them as well, but a couple of them have had the insulation come loose from the boot which makes it a pain to put them on. These are the only waders I would recommend as I bought mine for $140 on sale at the end of the season. I just don't think you can get better waders for this kind of money, and the cost of other comparable waders isn't worth it.
By Creek Boat - 7/31/2009 7:47:58 PM
I've had two pairs of redhead waders. the first pair I abused and they lasted 2 winters. the second pair lasted 2 months. I finally took the plunge and bought some lacrosse and so far I havent had a problem. 3yrs. It was worth the extra money to get the lacrosse. they are a little more comfortable than the redheads also. As far as the jacket goes. I've got two redheads jackets. Had them for about 5years. They been good to me.
By NE Hunter - 8/1/2009 9:44:27 AM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but here goes anyway:

In my humble opinion, I would get the Drake Waterfowl systems waders. Its been my experience by as far as waterfowling apparel and hunting bags go, Drake is my Cadillac. I bought their LST Waders last year, and I can't find one thing to complain about. I hunt marshes, creeks, rivers, you name it, never had a problem. They are AWESOME! I find new things to put in the pockets every time I use it. The one disadvantage, that I can see, is price. But, if you are an investment type person when you buy things, then these are obviously the way to go.

To that end, I have never used Redhead gear, so I cannot speak as to it advantages/disadvantages.

Anyone else use the Drake waders?
By duckdr - 8/1/2009 1:38:10 PM
would not recommend red head waders i had a pair and small branches poked through and made holes they leaked around the boots the first time i stepped in water would never buy another pair again
By southern ohio hunter - 8/2/2009 12:28:25 AM
i would have to go with cabelas waders in the 5mm neo.1600 mag...... i abused the crap out of mine this year and there never leaked a bit but they were really warm and made me sweat on days that it was below 0 out......
By SkYE BUSTERS - 8/2/2009 7:39:53 PM
go for it i have had mine three or four years i hunt hard and im ruff on equipment
By Good ol'' boy 7944 - 8/3/2009 3:54:46 PM
I had a pair of them and halfway through the season the split and would not seal back up. If it was me i'd go with drake. i've had my pair of Drake waders for a couple seasons and had no problems so far.
By duckmortician - 8/5/2009 6:30:51 AM
I use Itasca brand 1600 5mm's and they are the toughest and most durable waders i have ever owned. Remember that your waders are your life when hunting in extreme temperatures so you get what you pay for. Waders should be top priority for equipment expenditures. Read as many reviews as you can before making your selection.
By tnduckhunter - 8/5/2009 5:05:31 PM
I went thru 3 pair of redhead waders 2 years back all leaked in the crouch after at least 2 weeks of huinting. Bought La Crosse and haven't had a problem with them. BPS is good about taking them back within a year as for the 4 in 1 wader jacket it's great, but I also have a drake MST 1/4 zip pullover and it's warmer, more flexable, and less noise then the RH but you still need something for the cold late season days so if on a budget get the 4 in 1.
By duckman91 - 9/21/2009 8:42:57 AM
Thanks for all of your help again guys. I ended up going with Cabela's waders and a Cabela's Dri-Plus Dri-Fowl 4-in-1 wading jacket which was on sale for $100 or so.
By clafitte - 9/21/2009 9:25:03 AM
I got a pair of Cabelas waders I've used for 3 years. I've used them hunting and fishing in some fairly rough places and they've lasted fine so far. I was looking at a pair of redhead hip boots the other day and I may give them a try too. They looked pretty good.
By Quiksilvern7 - 9/22/2009 11:04:00 PM
RH stuff are great products have had all mine for a few years with no problems!
By CurtisJM - 9/23/2009 4:36:53 PM
These are some of the most comfortable and longest lasting waders i have ever purchased had them four season, no problems.

Check them out HERE:http://www.hodgman.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRW812

By jcsanders79 - 9/23/2009 4:39:30 PM
duckman91 9/21/2009
Thanks for all of your help again guys. I ended up going with Cabela's waders and a Cabela's Dri-Plus Dri-Fowl 4-in-1 wading jacket which was on sale for $100 or so.

Can't say anything about the jacket (I have a drake 4n1) but I don't believe there is any better value for waders than the Cabela's brand insulated ones!!!