Pattern Master choke tubes?

http://www.ducksunlimited.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic677445.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By South Channel Flats - 4/1/2009 6:28:51 PM
Has anyone used these before? I dont know a whole lot about them and was hoping to get some feedback. Im concerned if i shoot at ducks to close I will tear them in half? Any suggestions at all
By phowler - 4/1/2009 7:04:43 PM
I have never used them but they have been discussed here, try a search if you haven't already.
By simme - 4/1/2009 9:44:05 PM
I have short range pm and a wad wizard supreme and a carlsons black cloud. If your factory chokes don't pattern well try something different. A lot of these chokes claim to fame is hype, if you don't need them why drink the kool-aid. That being said, they look cool. But they will not make you a better shot.  
By duckless - 4/2/2009 12:06:30 PM
I used to shoot bismuth #2 and could not get them to pattern well until I bought a Kicks choke then they patterned great. The kicks works in a fashion similar to a Patternmaster. The choke did not make me a better shot I still have to practice for that.
By JonboatDuckhntr - 4/3/2009 1:40:12 AM
I bought a patternmaster L/R right before I went snow goose hunting this spring. Unfortunately due to last second issues I didn't get to pattern it before I left. I figured no big deal and that after reading all the reviews on how well they work I'd shoot geese first and pattern second. HUGE....HUGE MISTAKE!!!

After a miserable morning in terms of shooting at way too many easy birds and being the only one in group with out any geese (not goose but geese mind you), I took off the choke tube and looked inside it. The studs which slow down the wad were destroyed-just chewed up/MANGLED/tore all to hell. Whats worse is that I checked before the hunt to find out what steel I could and couldn't shoot with it. I know that Black Cloud is off limits. I only put 3" Winchester Supreme BB through it-only 25 rounds to be exact. The choke tube apparently was defective and cost me the best morning of goose hunting we had all trip. I patterned it when I got home and it was so bad you wouldn't believe me---you'd have to see it for yourself.

If you get one pattern it before you hunt with it--make sure its not defective.
By Alex Hilburn - 4/3/2009 3:22:28 PM
I use a L/R.....and I love it. But the thing about it is, if you get one, get used to it before you go out. I've missed lots of birds at 25-30 yards than I have at 40+ with that choke. Its really pretty frustrating! But once you get it down, you'll start hitting birds and SMOKING them.
By Duke6017 - 4/7/2009 11:55:04 AM
Alex is right.  I experienced the same thing when I shot a PM.  It is a nice choke, but you will miss birds that you previously were hitting with a factory choke.  It tightens up you pattern quite a bit, however, when you do hit them you will not be chasing cripples. 

I have since switched to a Briley and have been very pleased with it. 
By mud puppy - 4/7/2009 4:28:11 PM
if they were that much better, then the gun company itself would be doing it. but good for goose and turkey         PLUMBERS ROCK ha ha
By South Channel Flats - 4/14/2009 4:58:10 PM
Thanks for the choke tube wrench !
By mud puppy - 4/15/2009 2:32:31 PM
did it work and i want that back ha ha
By steve7 - 4/29/2009 7:56:19 PM
i have a sbe2 and i bought a ex long range pattern master and i put it in the bag and save it for the days the birds dont want to decoy well. im a good shot from lots of practice and it is hard to hit the birds up close but when i do it will mess a duck up! i just use the improved cil.or the mod choke that came with my gun! probubly dont need it if you can get them birds in close enough...