Charles Daly guns???

http://ut.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic667155.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By nellinova - 1/23/2009 12:37:54 AM
Anyone heard of them/have one. I noticed they have a semi-auto that shoots 3 1/2ers, just kinda wondering how they compare to other big name manufacturers in terms of quality and performance?
By tallman2 - 1/23/2009 7:00:32 AM
I do not own one, however I have shot one before and it an OK gun, nothing special in my opinion...
By FranchiFowler - 1/23/2009 8:23:29 AM
my buddy has two of them, a 12 simi-auto and a 20 O/U. He loves em and hunts at least 3-4 times a week during upland and duck season so i would guess there at least above average guns.
By Brd Hntr - 1/23/2009 4:06:34 PM
I got one 3 years ago.  My uncle won it at a DU banquet and sold it at a good price.  It is the field pump DU edition 12 ga.  It is so light which is great because I have to walk to most of my spots.  Very tough gun.  It is a lot like the a 870 but easier to clean.  When I first got it it wouldn't fire sometimes.  I sent it to Charles Daly and they fixed it and sent it back.  Then last year I wore out the firing pin.  Took it to a gun smith and Charles Daly sent him the parts for free.  It is a good gun for the price.
By nellinova - 1/24/2009 12:21:17 AM
in other words... not real reliable! think i'll just get another benelli when that time comes
By Brd Hntr - 1/24/2009 2:12:37 PM
It's not as bad as it sounds.  I shoot a box of shells almost every week of the year thats why the firing pin wore out.  Like I said it is a very good gun for the price.
By RedheadsECU - 1/24/2009 6:56:20 PM
I own a 3" Charles Daly, and I wouldn't get another.

My grandfather bought 3 at one time, and we had to send 2 of 3 back to the shop because of the firing pin. The worst part about it was, I had a chance to shoot my first Canvasback, and it messed up 3 times!!!
By konneker143 - 1/26/2009 8:25:07 AM
I had a pump. I won it at a DU banquet. It was pretty much a single shot. I took it one day duck hunting. Never went again. I gave it to my brother because he was buying a new SBE II, that way he could trade it in and get a little money off the cost.
By Aaron - 1/26/2009 11:50:42 AM
i had the 3 inch Semi-auto and i had never fired a shot through it and the first duck i shot at died but the whole foregrip and the plug and everything else thats in there blew out into the water so i had to go scuba diving in 28 degree weather i was pretty pissed off

this is just my opinion "JUNK"
By snowman - 1/26/2009 2:28:27 PM
Not a real quality firearm. Had a field pump 3.5 for turkey, picked it up at a cheap price new, and got a cheap gun. A lot of minor malfunctions in a short time. The factory would fix for free, I will give them that credit but wouldnt waste my money or time on another. I do hear that their higher grade upland O/U and singles are pretty good.
By Shotgun - 1/28/2009 10:10:16 PM
They are junk !!!My step brother bought one & the first time we went hunting the SAFTEY fell out of the gun! He had it fixed & the second trip we went on it puked the magazine spring and some other parts out of it!!!I wouldnt have one if it was give to me!!!!
By heavyhauler2255 - 1/28/2009 10:15:27 PM
Makes a decent boat paddle
By Harlan - 1/28/2009 10:52:18 PM
if your going the cheap route just get a stoeger. Old charles daly are good guns new ones are crap
By lespowell - 2/1/2009 10:03:09 PM
I had one it handled nice but several parts kept breaking,  but they will warranty it for life as long as you send it to them and dont mind being with out a gun for 2 months.. Save up and get a quality gun.  Less headache.
By Brd Hntr - 2/1/2009 10:25:42 PM
2 months!!!!

When I sent it to them it wasn't there for more than 2 weeks!  The next time we took it to a gun smith and he sent out for the parts and they sent it to him in a few days. 

By nellinova - 2/2/2009 3:05:48 PM
heavyhauler2255 1/28/2009

i guess that about sums it up!
By tmarmst1 - 2/2/2009 9:36:49 PM
I've had mine for seven years now and I hunt in a salt water marsh that eats most guns up, I've never had a misfire or a problem until I said those words out loud...i swear three shots later the bolt extractor handle snapped in half.  I was over a day away from home and my hunt was ruined.  Like was said earlier the old guns are a lot higher quality than the old ones.  Once they started selling them at walmart the bottom kind of dropped out of the quality.  (mass production lead to a decrease in value i guess).  I always liked mine and would not consider replacing...haven't heard the same from many others though.
By vanderwell07 - 2/5/2009 9:23:27 AM
i have had one for 6 years now. not my favorite. lots of jams and no fires. i cleaned it after everytime i went target shooting with my friends. and it got to a point to where i went out and bought a brand new Super X2. now i can not worry bout it not fireing and jams.
By BILLCOLLECTOR - 2/5/2009 12:50:40 PM
Anyone still have the information on who to contact at Charles Daily to get the fire pin problem fixed?  I bought one for my g/f as the price was right and the non-firing seems to be the only thing from making it a good buy. 
By theron26 - 2/5/2009 1:45:58 PM
heavyhauler2255 1/28/2009

I have a Mossberg 500 for that... and it still fires after being used as a boat paddle.  I am not lying either, we got out on a lake last year and my buddy's engine quit working about 3/4 of the way to our hole.  He only had one oar, so I got on the other side and started using my Mossberg to paddle the rest of the way. 

Thankfully we didnt have to paddle back some fellow duck hunters gave us a tow.  That was good cause I was dreading the paddle back.  We both got 4 ducks that day though.  :w00t:

By markinthemills - 2/27/2009 10:39:12 PM
Had one briefly, when it did fire which was only about half the time, it might not shuck the shell, mine was a pump, kicked like a friggin mule (when it did fire). WAY to much aggrivation getting the shell unjammed and all, got rid of it  asap, not reliable, not comfortable to shoot. honestly I can't say one good thing about it. if price is an issue try a Mossberg model 500A, yes it does kick but it is reliable and a limbsaver recoil pad does wonders to tame the recoil, mine will cycle anything but Fiochi shells. Also, pawn shops will give you more for that thing (The Charles Daily) than its worth, might be a good place to look.
By Shotgun - 2/28/2009 8:39:50 PM
CHARLES DALY=junk!!!!! They are pretty good if you want a single shot or if ya want a gun that parts fall off of!!!
By wi hunter - 3/1/2009 9:40:10 AM
My brother got from a guy who won it at a banquet.  First used it at the skeet range, firing 1oz reloads.  Didn't kick a single one out.  Figured it was because it wasn't broken in and had trouble with light loads.  He then used it on his very first duck hunting trip.  After about 5 or 6 boxes of 3" 2's, it still wouldn't kick half of them out.  He'd never get another one.  In fact, he bought a Benelli M2 the day after we got back!
By simme - 3/1/2009 10:24:15 AM
Get a Richard Daly. He ejected all the pimps and drug pushers out of the chicago projects without even shooting. Of course he had tanks trained on em at the time.
By rbartley - 3/1/2009 2:38:29 PM
i shoot nothing but but beretta and benelli got over 200,000 through my 390 12ga have under $50 in parts. hunt ducks with a nova had no problems. i run about 1 case of steel and god knows how much hevi shot through it a year. a friend won the C.D. auto two tears ago. it is junk. can't sell me one for a buck!!!