What to plant for wood ducks?

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic663030.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Shotgun - 1/3/2009 6:19:05 PM
What can i plant, and when do i plant it?, for the ducks next season? i hunt beaver ponds,sloughs,cypress brakes,flooded timber, in a river swamp in south Alabama. hot humid summers here, mild winters. a friend recomended biologic wild rice, does anyone know anything about this rice or anything else good to plant in my shallow waters? Thanks, SHOTGUN
By smokin' joe - 1/3/2009 10:53:35 PM
      Im not sure about the biologic rice but I know in order to plant most types of rice u need to be able to control the water levels. But I think this is the case with most plants. I have herd good stuff about millet and millo as well. Wood ducks also love pin oaks. They go crazy for them little acorns. I have transplated a few around our ponds. but they have yet to drop acorns.
By countryhick - 1/28/2009 5:10:40 PM
I will be planting Jap millet in a beaver swamp sometime this spring. Once I drop the water I may transplant some small oaks onto some exposed "islands" as I dont plan to raise the water back as high as it is now.
By Shotgun - 1/28/2009 10:15:57 PM
How are you going to go about dropping and controlling your water level? Is it a beaver pond, flooded timber, what are you working with??
By Shotgun - 1/28/2009 10:20:06 PM
Matt, Arent you from south Alabama? Just wondrering if you would be interested in helping us with a new DU chapter here in Brewton? I am meeting with Shawn Battison this coming monday night to discuss starting a new chapter here.Shawn is over DU for the state of Alabama.
By camdentiger - 1/29/2009 4:39:37 PM
i planted swamp peas in one of my beaver ponds and the wood ducks seemed to love them we had alot more this year than last year. I'm gonna plant them again this year along with some wildlife rice and millet. I have heard chufa is good in flooded fields but i haven't tried that yet.
By Shotgun - 1/29/2009 8:03:57 PM
Where did you get the swamp peas? And how did you go about planting them?How deap was the water? etc.
By grnhedpheasant - 1/30/2009 2:58:02 PM
Chufa's are superb but the marsh needs to be completely drained for them to grow, then reflooded in the fall.

As for the beaver marshes, go back to page three to the thread "manipulating beaver dams" there is some pretty good stuff in that about water control, even some end result pics.

There is also an old thread a couple pages back about presoaking rice to plant in standing water that may be helpful.

By Shotgun - 1/30/2009 9:29:53 PM
What book are you refering to? I lost you on that.Im really interested in reading what you are talking about!!
By grnhedpheasant - 1/31/2009 8:43:17 AM
I'm sorry, go back out to all the threads in "Habitat and Water Conditions",  scroll down to the bottom of that page, there is a bar down there with pages of previous posts numbered "1, 2, 3, etc.. The threads I mentioned are back on pages 2 and 3 I think. You may have already read them for all I know, if not, it may be worth your time though.;):cool:
By TheWidowMaker - 2/17/2009 1:19:17 AM
I have a large oak tree over hanging one of my ponds dropping acorns in the pond on the shallow end. Woodies and mallards were frequent until they ate up all the acorns. Japanese millet works great. Hunted an area that had some this past season during early teal and woodies went straight to it every single time
By tbw1891 - 2/21/2009 1:19:14 PM
I just ordered wild rice, my county exstention office said it grows in water up to 4ft deep. but was idea in 6in to 2 ft deep. all you have to do is broadcast it. bout 50 lbs a ac. I am puttn a 100lbs to make sure. this is my first time tring this. I have plenty ofwoodies but i want to keep them coming. i hunt flooded timber off the river.
By grnhedpheasant - 2/21/2009 7:17:58 PM
DOesn't it have to be pre-soaked before broadcasting it into water? Might want to check on it, good luck!:D
By LilJoe - 2/27/2009 9:39:03 PM
yep presoaked for 36 hrs i think is rite
By countryhick - 2/28/2009 10:35:07 AM
Is it presoaked in just regular tap water?
By grnhedpheasant - 2/28/2009 2:42:55 PM
countryhick 2/28/2009
Is it presoaked in just regular tap water?

I wouldn't soak it in chlorinated water, it might kill the germination though I never tried it or heard anyone say anything about it. I always just used pond water.

By countryhick - 3/6/2009 3:37:01 PM
What is the difference in it presoaking in a bucket, then being thrown into the pond and just throwing it in the pond? Wouldn't it do the same thing sitting in the swamp as it would in a bucket?