favorite choke tube for duck hunting

http://me.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic625098.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By huntorfish - 4/23/2008 10:17:51 PM
I've heard that you should use a skeet choke for decoying ducks and IC for passing. A buddy of mine said that he can step over a pattern at 40 yards easily. I have been using a mod. choke but dont know whether it is to tight. but what Im asking is what is your favorite choke to hunt ducks with
By dranefotie2 - 4/23/2008 10:21:47 PM
improved w hevishot as it tends to pattern pretty tightly...most of my shots are in the 20-30 yd range, but i go to full choke on chukars
By noodles - 4/24/2008 1:32:11 AM
Here in ND when mallards decoy they decoy HARD! otherwise they pass at 60+ yards.  It's hard for me to find a all around "perfect choke," but I like to use a improved cylinder or modified.  In a perfect world I like full for geese and skeet for jump shooting teal, but you have to consider the in between.  Thats why I would go in the middle, but practice with trap first. I also recommend shooting trap with the same shell you hunt with instead of target loads.  It's more expensive, but you wouldn't belive the difference.  I hope this as helped you.
By jstith - 4/24/2008 6:14:42 AM
I would never use a skeet choke shooting at ducks - unless they are within 15 yards of you.  With a skeet choke a person just doesn't have the pattern density to knock down birds.  You may hit them, but with such little density in your pattern you would wound a lot more birds than you would kill.  I use my modified lead choke (full steel) on ducks wether pass shooting or decoying.  You have a lot denser pattern out to that 30-35 yrd range
By Bluebill - 4/24/2008 7:01:03 AM
I strictly hunt over decoys. A imp. cyl. choke will do the job over decoys on ducks and geese. I use mostly 3in. #4 hevi shot and remington nitro BB's. If you are using a skeet choke I would definitly pattern it before you use it. Skeet chokes vary by manufacture. Some skeet chokes will pattern just as good as an imp. cyl. choke. 
By Swamp Slayer - 4/24/2008 11:35:36 AM
No matter where or how im hunting i use a modified choke because in any hunting situation u have to be ready for anything so i think a modified is the best all around choke tube for duck hunting
By blake_mhoona - 4/24/2008 8:47:47 PM
i hunt mostly flooded timber and sloughs with the occasional flooded field and i would have to say that modified is the best out there for any situation.  of course if i'm in a pit i might step up to full because the ducks have anywhere to land they may skirt your spread my buddy uses an extra full tube and he does fairly well.  but i reiterate if your hunting timber and sloughs best bet is with a modified

that being said i haven't seen anybody mention brands yet maybe the fella who started this thread may have intended to hear some name throwing around

By WIhunter - 4/24/2008 9:56:56 PM
I have the choke that changes while its on the gun. I use improved for ducks and if they seem to not be decoying or I have more geese then modified
By jcsanders79 - 4/25/2008 8:25:32 AM
If you are using factory chokes the actual pattern will be tighter with steel than lead and lead is what they pattern the choke with.  You can usually assume that if you are shooting a factory IC with steel it is more like a Mod.  so a Skeet would be like a IC which would be ok for close ducks.  I personally shoot a IC & Mod (OU gun can switch to whatever I want but first shot is usually IC) that is designed for steel (Kicks Highflyers).  When I shot factory chokes I usually used IC.
By NJ217bands - 4/25/2008 11:19:32 AM
I use a factory IC for large, hard shot and factory full for small soft shot. 
By duckhunt2day - 4/26/2008 11:22:46 AM
Kicks High Flyer Full choke, or the gun's full lead choke, like to make sure they're dead and I'm usually shooting them at 50-60 yrds.
By killaquack - 5/8/2008 2:52:20 PM
all guns,ammo,& chokes pattern diffirent. so your best bet it to pattern the shells u are going to use at the range u most likely to shoot at your birds.
By commander019 - 5/10/2008 8:14:56 AM
Pattern Master.
By Joe Hunter - 5/10/2008 1:15:08 PM
As someone finally said, you must pattern your gun with your chokes/loads to match them to your kind of hunting/shooting.

Very generally speaking, if you are shooting ducks in the 20-30 yard range then try an IC choke with steel #4s. If you are shooting ducks at 30-40 yards then try a MOD with steel #2s. And, if you are trying to shoot ducks out around 50 yards then try a FULL choke with steel 2s.

There are other factors that come into play here, but this should get you started.

Good luck.

By Joe Hunter - 5/10/2008 3:52:36 PM
Also, don't discount a Skeet choke as a very effective close range choke for steel shot.  Particularly if you have a double with choke tubes where you can use different chokes in each barrel.  I often use a SK/Mod. combo when shooting my O/U.

Here are some pattern numbers for a SK and Mod. choke through my 12-gauge -- 30" patterns, aver. of five shots, distance taped muzzle to target, true percentages from five in-shell pellet counts.

2 3/4" Rem. Sportsman Steel 1 1/8 oz. of steel #2s.

30 yards / SK (.005) 116 (84%)

40 yards / Mod. (.020) 114 (82%)

Find a load and choke that works for your type of hunting/shooting and if you do your part the ducks are dead!

Good luck.

By berettabomber - 5/12/2008 7:22:23 PM
I hunt redheads down in Corpus Christi over decoys and pass shooting. I use 3" number 2 and number 4 shot and nothing but modified choke. I can hit 'em at 5 yards and I can hit 'em at 50 yards and knock 'em down. It depends on the experience of the shooter as well. I like to practice duck hunting by doing dove hunting right before the season, you get to practice your leads on much smaller birds and it translates pretty well to duck hunting. I usually lead my ducks by about an inch no matter what distance and I have no problem bagging my limit.
By crankem - 5/16/2008 10:12:42 PM
My favorite choke is my light modified tube with 3" Fedral "Black Cloud" #4 shot for ducks.

Same choke for geese but I use "Black Cloud" #2 shot for geese.

Just remember each gun shoots a little bit different so you might want to pattern it 1st.

By DDragon47 - 5/18/2008 8:16:39 AM
WIhunter 4/24/2008
I have the choke that changes while its on the gun. I use improved for ducks and if they seem to not be decoying or I have more geese then modified

Me to.