Patternmaster choke

http://de.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic472106.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By RNT21 - 11/1/2006 12:48:43 PM
I was looking into a patternmaster choke this weekend and noticed there are three types, extended, standard, and short range.  I honestly don't know which one to get because of my hunting situation.  Probaly majority of my hunting will be in the timber thus going for the short range then again I maybe getting to hunt some rice fields this year.  can anybody help me out on this one.  I shoot 3 inch and 3 1/2s.
By duckcraze - 11/1/2006 10:12:22 PM
I don't know if you are stuck on pattern master or not.  I shoot a "Terror" tube.  One at .700 and one at .675.  I carry both chokes to the field.  I start out with the .700 which is a close range, probably a IC,  and only put the .675 in  if the ducks will work but not commit to the decoys.  You need to pattern your gun with the loads you want to shoot to see what kind of patterns your getting.  Hope this helps
By foldem_n_NC - 11/2/2006 6:15:17 AM
I shoot a patternmaster extended range in my BPS.  I shoot mostly 3.5 at ducks but I never screw that choke out.  It throws a good pattern with everything, be it bird shot or buck shot.  I patterened the other day with 3.5 inch 00 Buck which has 18 pellets and it put 10 shots in a 12" circle at 50 yards.  All of them were inside 30".  I patterened with Kent non toxic shot also and out to 45 yards it shoots a superp pattern, especially with the Tungsten Matrix.  I am gonna shoot it farther with non toxic since the buckshot test to see how effective it is at longer range.  I love my patternmaster and I would not trade it for anything.
By tbrom - 11/2/2006 10:52:00 AM
I have a PM form my SBE it is terrible. The worst part is the lack of customer service. I have e-mailed them several time with no response. An 80$ piece of crap. Several guys really like theirs, my choke will not stay tight. I figured I just got a bad one but I guess I will never know because of their lack of customer service.
Tbrom
By UTmarshrat - 11/5/2006 2:06:09 PM
  i shoot a standard size patternmaster on my 870 SM and absolutely love it. i mainly shoot 3.5 one shot for ducks and geese. before i put it on if i would hit a duck a little back he would kick sideways and require a follow up shot. with it on the same shot knocks 'em down.
  i also have to tighten my pm by hand occasionally. i check it for tightness every few hours in the blind and have to tighten it about every fourth time. i personally feel that is a good trade for the performance. luckily for me a customer service dept , or lack there of, is not needed to shoot ducks. if it were it sounds like pm wouldn't be a good choice.
By budde75 - 11/6/2006 4:50:32 PM
I've been real pleased with the patternmaster chokes. I had one for my 870 and it did awesome so I decided to get another one for my SBE 2 this year. As far as customer service I've been real impressed with them. I emailed them a question regarding the standard vs. extended option and the owner emailed me back, asked for my phone # and personally called me a couple days later to discuss what would be the best option for me. I'd say that's pretty good! And when it was all said and done we decided that I should try the standard tube even though I do shoot 3 1/2 shell sometimes, and he said if I didn't care for the standard choke that they would switch it out for an extended tube or refund my money all together. Needless to say I haven't had to return it!
By tbrom - 11/6/2006 5:15:46 PM
Quoting: UTmarshrat | 11/5/2006 2:06:09 PM
----------------------------------------
  luckily for me a customer service dept , or lack there of, is not needed to shoot ducks. if it were it sounds like pm wouldn't be a good choice.

- slummin' for ducks -
========================================

Unfortunatly for me the pattern that is shot through my Pattern Master is not very good as well as the fact that it turns a very expensive auto loader into a single shot due to having check the choke after every shot. As for the customer service not playing a part in shooting ducks and PM having good customer service, well. Budde 75, I have a pattermaster that I will sell you that you can return to PM that will fit your SBE II, I'll sell it to you for 20$ less than you can buy a new one and you can trade it on the choke that you didn't get.

Tbrom
By RNT21 - 11/7/2006 12:06:06 AM
Anybody have any luck with kicks chokes?
By Kenny Bush - 11/7/2006 10:37:52 PM
I have  pattern master for my 10 and 12 gauges. I have shot one in my 12 for three years and never take it out. When I got my 10ga I ordered one that same day. Best choke on the market. Just my opinion.  Kenny 
By Dead-eye-Ty - 11/8/2006 7:51:25 PM
I have one and it works well, but you still gotta be on the bird.  It'll slam 'em down though!